Name that infestation!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright folks, let's play name that infestation!

Host: Bur Oak

Pest History: Gall of some sort

Current Evidence: Masses of fish-egg-like growths on the underside of many leaves. They are lined up along the main vein, massed on top of each other in a bunch.

I will post pics shortly, once I get out there with my digital, but I thought some folks could make guesses.

Is this how Horned Gall gets started? I have only seen the late stages of HG infestation.

Once the pest has been ID'ed, my next question will be:

What should be done? Should the infested leaves be removed?

Thanks,

ETA: Thought at first the Pest History was Horned Gall, but upon further review, there are no spikes on the gall.

Last edited:
Could be a eriophyid mite, they cause small galls on leaves of many species. Hope this helps.

Here are images of the growths

attachment.php

attachment.php

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? :p

I read that eriophyid mites attack the leaves in spring. Would they attack in late summer too? Do the pics look like eriophyid mite results?

If no one can ID it, what about offering suggestions as to what to do?

Should I strip off the affected leaves and smush the "eggs"?

Thanks,

Last edited:
those are some big eggs. I've never seen anything like that. You haven't seen the pest yet? Seems like with eggs that big they should be about the size of a snail.

No, the only pest I have seen is a wasp, but s/he was working on a gall on a twig. It is partially obscured, but you can see the wasp in the 2nd picture, near the top right corner, partially behind the gall it is working on.

Should I take a leaf off and cut open some of the eggs and see what I get?

Okay, so open one of them up and see whats inside and let us know what ya find! None of those pics in the links appear to be the same as what you have there and I've never seen anything like them myself. Very curious. Maybe take a sample to one of the local universities biology dept.s or to a state forester (if you have such a thing). Not knowing exactly what they are I'd be hesitant to bring any inside though :)

Latest posts

Back