Napolean 1401 vs Regency i3100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammmitc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
if both stoves are rated at the almost the same BTU how can the Regency claim to heat 3000 sq ft while the Napolean is only good for 1800 sq ft?

I have a Napolean but it is undersized for my home. When its cold out and the wind is blowing the Napolean can't keep up. Will the Regency make that much of a difference?

I have an opportunity to get a Regency at a very good price but don't want to spend the money if it is not going to make that much of a difference.

thanks in advance

The regency brochure online says 1800-3000 SF. There are many variables that come into play, most importantly would be how leaky your house may be. It's a lot easier to heat a superinsulated house than a drafty 150 YO farmhouse.

I think you need to take all literature that companies put out on their products with a grain of salt.

if both stoves are rated at the almost the same BTU how can the Regency claim to heat 3000 sq ft while the Napolean is only good for 1800 sq ft?

I have a Napolean but it is undersized for my home. When its cold out and the wind is blowing the Napolean can't keep up. Will the Regency make that much of a difference?

I have an opportunity to get a Regency at a very good price but don't want to spend the money if it is not going to make that much of a difference.

thanks in advance

Do you have the airblower for your Napoleon? It helps put more heat out. Could be a cheaper option to try.

Look for insulation upgrade opportunities also. Outside air infiltration is a big one. Doors, windows, and attic entrances are common culprits.

thanks in advance

I have the i3100L and its a fantastic insert - heats 2k plus sq feet to 80 degrees without issue. The heat output is fantastic, and the burn times are pefect and right on to what they advertise (using good wood, and fully loaded firebox). The window wash works great and burns off any buildup once the temps starting approaching 500*

There are many factors why stoves wont heat an area - starting with the install and liner and proper close off plates. Well insulated homes and the best seasoned wood (hardwood) make all the difference in the world.
Also dont be affraid to have these stoves run for days at a time -it takes some time to get the sq ft up to temp and maintained.

If the stoves are equally matched, it comes down to the size of the firebox which relates to how much you can burn and for how long. Always get the biggest stove that will fit in your space, IMHO. Regency has a lifetime warranty, which is a nice plus -

to all, thanks for your responses,

the house is 2700 sq ft.

have the block off plate on the bottom and it is insulated, the house is 2x6 construction and has good windows. I have two stairwells that move the heat upstairs and the heat is pretty even except for the room with the stove.

I think it is a matter of not having a big enough fire box because it just does not stay hot long enough. I am going to look for a PE Summit, Quadafire 5100, Regency 3100 or equivalent.

Get over to Kring's in Boyertown, they carry the Quadrafire and several other brands.

I bought a 4100i from them about 2 years ago and am quite happy with it in general. My only dislike is I have to clean the glass several times a week, but with the 3 window bay its almost as good as an open fire viewing-wise.

Good luck.

to all, thanks for your responses,

the house is 2700 sq ft.

have the block off plate on the bottom and it is insulated, the house is 2x6 construction and has good windows. I have two stairwells that move the heat upstairs and the heat is pretty even except for the room with the stove.

I think it is a matter of not having a big enough fire box because it just does not stay hot long enough. I am going to look for a PE Summit, Quadafire 5100, Regency 3100 or equivalent.

Yep I'd have too agree that you need a bigger unit for that sized house. My house is similar sized but 200+ yrs old and I use two on opposite ends of the house. The cookstove does great but needs tending. Next year I go with a 24/7 soapstove (Woodstock) too suppliment and when the Glenwood conks out at night.

Back