Narrow Margin!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arboraesthetics

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is probably the craziest risk I've ever knowingly taken. This was shot two years ago on the hottest day in ten years: 110 degrees F. I'd only learned to fell trees 6 month earlier. I'd only been climbing for 6 months. I would do things differently today if did such jobs today. I guess what I'm saying is I don't care to have my balls busted here: this is just an amusing clip from my first summer with trees. Enjoy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy9tC6VvT9Y

Jeffrey Grewe
www.arboraesthetics.com
www.flickr.com/photos/arboraesthetics/
www.youtube.com/arboraesthetics

That was sheer dumb luck!!! I've had a few times, but I certainly don't count on it!!!
Glad it went as well as it did for you!

That was sheer dumb luck!!! I've had a few times, but I certainly don't count on it!!!
Glad it went as well as it did for you!

I got lucky for sure, but it was not dumb luck. I'd felled many tight ones before that one and never had a problem. They were not all dumb luck. It's not dumb luck that I don't fall out of a tree when I go way out on to the tips. Everything about that felling went according to plan. If you look at the first portion of the video you'll see a pile of logs in the middle of the frame on the left side: I placed those there to stop the tree rolling. I've been lucky plenty of times. But if it was all dumb luck I'd be dead by now: to date, I've not been to the hospital nor have I damaged any property.

You took me wrong! You felled it beatifully!! Everything you did was right for the most part, the roll could have got you good though!!
I am not bashing on you, but even you admit it should have gone better, and could have been a lot worse.

The roll is a biatch on those big canopy trees when they hit the ground. Good thing you planned for it and brought er on down. Nice work.

With that much enthusiasm at the end when it fell, that just tells me you didn't have ALL the confidence it was going to go your way. I as well as others have dropped big trees and we didn't get all hyped up. The enthusiasm in this case was elation after the fear. One of these days, it won't be so lucky. Congrats on the drop but no way I would have dropped that much tree all at once in such a small area. :cheers:

Cool. Cool. Sorry I mistook you. Yea, no doubt it could have gone worse. When I watch the video today it blows my mind. I would have no part of a job like that today and the job site sure would not sound like a frat party either. But that was that time and it was pretty crazy.

With that much enthusiasm at the end when it fell, that just tells me you didn't have ALL the confidence it was going to go your way. I as well as others have dropped big trees and we didn't get all hyped up. The enthusiasm in this case was elation after the fear. One of these days, it won't be so lucky. Congrats on the drop but no way I would have dropped that much tree all at once in such a small area. :cheers:

Your right! It was not a give that it would go as planned. It was a huge risk but one that I believed I could come through on. It was not just for the fun of it: there were other factors that went in to making the decision to drop it like that - like exhaustion, extreme heat, money, etc.

I've gotten lucky many times. I make it a point these days to not need to be lucky.

Latest posts

Back