Natrure's Comfort gt220 review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racnruss

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm on my second season with the new GT220 from Nature's Comfort. I thought I'd give my experiences to help anyone out there considering buying one.

Fired it last year in September. We had a mild winter, pretty much the nicest weather ever in the history of Iowa. I burned 9 cords of wood heating about 2500 square feet of poorly insulated 1 1/2 story house built in 1952.

All my wood is oak and locust 2 years cured, and covered. Very little smoke, I live in the city and no problem with neighbors so far.

We had a few problems during the first year. ( all parts covered at no charge to me ) I performed the labor:
-electric motor that opens fan door to firebox went bad. easy fix.
-ceramic catalytic discs replaced with stainless steel. easy fix.
-fire brick below cast plates of firebox floor broke-twice. In my opinion, the fire brick cannot withstand the intense temperature of gassification.
-cast plate at rear of fire box floor broke. Clearance issue due to expansion of plates and no room to expand. I received a new plate from NC and ground enough off all 3 plates to insure clearance when hot. Then I made a single plate of 1/2 inch steel (HEAVY) to cover the whole floor of fire box to protect cast plates and fire brick.

So, we are up and running again this season now. Stove is working well again for now so we'll see how this season goes.

My observations about the efficiency are not as great as they claim. Yes the stove will make an incredible amount of BTU's per hour. Of course it will, we stock it with completely dry wood and the stove forces 500cfm of fresh air into the firebox to create a blast furnace, just as it is supposed to. The problem is that it is blasting A LOT of that heat out into the atmosphere! The exhaust temps are incredibly high, you can feel the radiated heat coming off the exhaust pipe from 5 feet to the side. I haven't measured the temp but I'm guessing at least 600 degrees. By comparison a Portage and Main gassifier has stack temps around 200 degrees and they show someone putting their hand into the exhaust without getting burned. If you tried that on the GT 220 you would loose your skin immediately. There isn't enough passes through the water to absorb all those btu's.

By comparison, the GT220 is about 5 thousand dollars less than a Portage and Main, and that helped me make my decision to buy a Nature's Comfort. I'll always wonder if my wood consumption would be that much less with a more efficient stove.

Anyway, my experiences so far. Hope this helps someone and I'd answer any questions you may have.:)

Thats a lot of wood. Thats a lot of 1st yr repairs. If it was me, I'd be pissed.

Given a mild winter that does seem like a pretty large amount of wood to have gone through. It'll be interesting to see it compared to a more normal winter.

Last summer I started my search for my first OWB. I gave the Nature's Comfort a good look simply based on the price. By the sounds of it, I am glad I passed. I was working with a Wood Doctor dealer who lives about 45 minutes away. I had ordered a stove through him but the company quickly collapsed. After lots of go around from WD themselves, I contested my purchase on my credit card (thank god I used that and getting the money back was in their hands). I then decided the pull the trigger on the Portage and Main and after my first year, I couldn't be happier. The only issue I have had was some fire brick cracking but as you said, I don't think it can take the high temps and is probably an issue with all units. I burned right around 5 cords, mostly maple and oak. Little to to smoke (I live in a neighborhood, so thats really important for me). Only time it starts to smoke is when it needs a cleaning which only takes about 20-25 minutes.

I hope I feel the same way 5-10 years down the road. Best of luck with yours.

did you get the Optimizer 250 or 350? How much do they cost?

I wonder how much I could get for my NC?

Back