NE346XP Bars/Chains Videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went out today and ran some tests and shot some Video of various Bar/Chain combos on the NE346XP.
However I'm having a fit trying to post the Videos - - anyone help?

Al :dizzy: :dizzy:

Last edited:
did you run it against a 5100?

LMAO!

Nope! But it was informative!

It was interesting though - That little Old Troll from Norway might be on to something!!
Damn - I wish I could get these videos loaded. Anyway what I wanted to see was how the NE346 would perform with a variety of Bar and Chain combos. Seems to be a lot of speculation as to what should work best. All tests were with brand new chains right out of their packages.

First out was the factory equipped Husky laminated 18"NK bar and .325 / 50Gauge chain (95 VP). Time through the log was 8 seconds.

Next I changed the bar to an Oregon 18" Pro lite bar and .325 / 58 gauge chain (34LG). Time through the log was 8.25 seconds.

The last set up that I ran was a Husky 16" solid bar with .325 / 58 guage
(21LP) chain. Let me tell you that set up rips!!! Time through the log was 6.5 seconds!

So what does it all mean? I guess the Narrow Kerf on the 18" Husky bar is almost a dead heat with the full kerf .325 on an 18' bar. Much better than many in this site said it would perform. But the real suprise is the smaller 16" bar with the full kerf .325 really performed well! Saw Troll might be on to something with his smaller bar mentality! I did his just to answer some questions for myself on how different combos would perform on the same saw.

If and when I get the videos to post you'll be able to see for yourselves how they ran!

how big was the wood?

you should run 3/8 on that saw.

:confused:

I try to avoid all .325 chains if possible. I have standardized the fleet. They all run full comp chisel chain either .050 or .058 in CL or LG. The LG I hand file to square. Try a 3/8 chain on the 346 and let us know how it does.

Probably not right away

I try to avoid all .325 chains if possible. Try a 3/8 chain on the 346 and let us know how it does.

I'm pretty darned satisfied with the saw and .325 besides it's only got 5 1/2 tanks through it so far and I'm not wanting to change sprokets and investing in another bar and chains right now. I'll keep the 3/8 inch chains on my 261 and 372!

Al :cheers:

No Kidding!

We cut 14 of them today......Even my MS180 chews them up......

Al that stuff cuts like butter......

Just comparing different equipment set ups - not really concerned if i was cutting Cotton Candy! I ran out between rain storms and this was handy.
Really wouldn't have mattered if it were Oak, Maple, Basswood or Spruce . . .
As long as they were all cutting through the same stuff! At least it was big enough for time differences to be apparent.

Last edited:
When you say narrow kerf v. full kerf, are you talking about 50 gauge v. 58? If so, the only difference is the width of the drive tang, not the kerf, I think. . .

When you say narrow kerf v. full kerf, are you talking about 50 gauge v. 58? If so, the only difference is the width of the drive tang, not the kerf, I think. . .

No - the bar and kerf are both narrower on NK set ups and should be used together. 50 guage chain is available in both narrow kerf and "regular" widths.

Last edited:
seems to do well with all of them.

i ditched the narrow chain.i run 3/8 RSC .050 on a husky 16" sprocket nose solid bar.it flat rips and cuts like a laser in maple.i run 3/8 .050 gauge on everything but the 55 rancher only because that was all i could get in 18" that day.

get that thing re tuned pretty soon.did you change the muffler to non cat?

Latest posts

Back