Necessary Tree Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfong

Reaction score
What is recommended for stump and root system removal when trees must be removed to keep proper fire clearance from residences? In some cases, the stumps and root systems left in place will be within an enlarged footprint of a modification to a residence, and in other cases, they will be just adjacent to the residence.

I know that all tree material must be removed where the footing goes, but is it customary to remove the (dead) root system within the future building footprint?

Is the tree system dead after cutting to a stump, or is there something else that must be done to the stump and roots to assure that the root system will not come alive to affect the residence?

Appreciate your comments.

Ray

If you are going to have heavy equipment on the property anyway, it is usually easier to dig or rip out the stump and major roots.
If stump grinding is done, have the grinder chase down the major surface roots as well as the stump. This usually costs a little more than just basic stump grinding. Then the majority of the grindings will have to be removed and replaced with clean fill so you can get your proper compaction for the foundation. Most times you can just swap the grindings for dirt in the yard, where compaction numbers are not a factor.
"Is the tree system dead after cutting to a stump, or is there something else that must be done to the stump and roots to assure that the root system will not come alive to affect the residence?" - For all practical purposes, the tree is dead. Any small roots that might sprout will be equivalent to any other weed seed that might be in the dirt. This is a non-issue.

With large deciduous tree, you can get quite a bit of active stump sprouting if not treated. But they can be cut down easily til the roots die off.

Is it okay to grind stumps where the foundation would go?

I have been uprooting and separately grinding stumps from foundations using a brush mower. I have been thinking about all that labor and thought about using a stump grinder to grind the stumps versus uprooting the ones that are within the footprint of a new home foundation.
Is this an acceptable way of removing the trees? Some builders around here say no but they also only understand "doze and burn."
Does anyone have any experience with this?

If this is an acceptable method, what depth should I consider grinding?

Thanks!

Yellow Dog

Latest posts

Back