Need a 453 Detroit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a semi-truck salvage yard near Buffalo, Ny. I've gottan lots of new and old parts from there before. I can get there number if you want

Dunno where to get one at up close to you, but they cant be to expensive. they aint worth just a whole lot. im running one in my skidder and its gutless unless you've gotter to the floor!

Thats the only way to run them !

Ya , the 2 stroke Jimmy is only supposed to be run wide open .. I,ve straight up asked the mechanics how they wanted them run in different iron on different jobs and all said ( RUN EM LIKE YOU HATE EM ) ... Black diesel . what skidder do you have one in ?????

Ya , the 2 stroke Jimmy is only supposed to be run wide open .. I,ve straight up asked the mechanics how they wanted them run in different iron on different jobs and all said ( RUN EM LIKE YOU HATE EM ) ... Black diesel . what skidder do you have one in ?????

First truck I drove had a 6-71 Detroit in it. After my first delivery I told the boss what a POS it was. He said "Slam your thumb in the door when you get in-then it don't run too bad." Know what- he was right!:cry: Might have a line on one here in NW Wisc. Will PM you if available.

C6d tree farmer. Doesnt look that big till u throw her on a low boy. Hangs off both sides a couple feet apiece. 40k lbs winch and a 110 inch grapple. Put her in low with a big enough load on tthe back and its fairly easy to pull the front end off the ground far enough to walk under the tires.... all though I don't recommend that

. Cool !!! seriously Cool !!!!! I used to hang a 90 lb boom chain on the throttle of my 14' Nelson Log Bronk boom boat and run it till I was about insane then take a break for a while ......they had 453 Detroit s in them . ... Say what you want , but any engine that can live in a wheel skidder or a log bronk is just TUFF!!!!! ....I love em ...I never saw a Cat ,or Cummins in a Log Bronk ......Just can,t take the guff ....
Thanks WGP

Last edited:
. Cool !!! seriously Cool !!!!! I used to hang a 90 lb boom chain on the throttle of my 14' Nelson Log Bronk boom boat and run it till I was about insane then take a break for a while ......they had 453 Detroit s in them . ... Say what you want , but any engine that can live in a wheel skidder or a log bronk is just TUFF!!!!! ....I love em ...I never saw a Cat ,or Cummins in a Log Bronk ......Just can,t take the guff ....
Thanks WGP

Yea its tough. lol, its so tough it sweats horsepower.... all the time. which ironically keeps the whole engine bay and belly pan from rusting..

Did you ever find you an engine? What are you needing it for?

I've got a 3-53 detroit in a good working log loader. ill sell you the motor but ya gotta take the whole machine!

We were running a 3-71 hard on a saw mill one day and saw sparks coming out of the blower drains. Backed off just a little, never came apart. Put a 6-71N on it after that. I don't have any Detroits now but I will always smile when I hear a 53/71/92 series turned up. have Doug

Last edited:
... I have found a skidder in Southeast that needs some work but is still very good for an older line skidder .... It has forks with a top clamp , a 2 yrd general purpose / gravel bucket, a double drum winch and a big back blade . The rubber is in 80% . It has a couple of leaking cylinders on the buckettilt but is a very strong machine ....But it has a blown 453 in it ....If I can get a motor for a good price , I can get it for sweat equity ....I,m not in a time crunch so am looking and learning ... Being a bushler I,ve been pretty removed from anything that burns diesel that I had to pay for and fix for a long time .. So I,m nervously poking around.......... Shipping things is almost as expensive as buying them ... Plus , I havn't been south since 82 ... May need to go down to get something like an engine ect...........

... I have found a skidder in Southeast that needs some work but is still very good for an older line skidder .... It has forks with a top clamp , a 2 yrd general purpose / gravel bucket, a double drum winch and a big back blade . The rubber is in 80% . It has a couple of leaking cylinders on the buckettilt but is a very strong machine ....But it has a blown 453 in it ....If I can get a motor for a good price , I can get it for sweat equity ....I,m not in a time crunch so am looking and learning ... Being a bushler I,ve been pretty removed from anything that burns diesel that I had to pay for and fix for a long time .. So I,m nervously poking around.......... Shipping things is almost as expensive as buying them ... Plus , I havn't been south since 82 ... May need to go down to get something like an engine ect...........
Maybe you could have the engine rebuilt. they arnt to expensive to rebuild.

The guy that has it is going to have a diesel mechanic pull the head off it , if he thinks it is worth it he will have him rebuild it .... I,m concerned water may have got in somewhere and froze and broke something .................. Hopefully his evaluation will be based on reality , not just wanting a job rebuilding an engine .... Other than labor , what kind of money roughly is rebuilding a small Jimmy like that ?? The head broke , I know that so it will need a new one ......
. The skidder is a Skagit .... It,s Skagit #1 .......Most of the loggin it did with the current owner was close to the road winching good size spruce and yellow cedar out ......and as a yard bull because of its forks and back blade ....... I should be getting some pics I can post ...

The guy that has it is going to have a diesel mechanic pull the head off it , if he thinks it is worth it he will have him rebuild it .... I,m concerned water may have got in somewhere and froze and broke something .................. Hopefully his evaluation will be based on reality , not just wanting a job rebuilding an engine .... Other than labor , what kind of money roughly is rebuilding a small Jimmy like that ?? The head broke , I know that so it will need a new one ......
. The skidder is a Skagit .... It,s Skagit #1 .......Most of the loggin it did with the current owner was close to the road winching good size spruce and yellow cedar out ......and as a yard bull because of its forks and back blade ....... I should be getting some pics I can post ...
My buddie had one done a couple years ago for about 5k that was including the mecanic. But he had a good head so im not sure on the head.

a couple years ago for about 5k that was including the mecanic.

:dizzy::dizzy: wow thats alot! these motors are simple simple simple to work on. quick search on ebay came up with an entire rebuild kit. sleeves, pistions, gaskets, rings, bearings, the whole shootin match for 850 bucks. get your crank turned and then email them your main bearing and rod sizes and they ship you the kit. a used head cant be to much. Shoot, i would think you could buy a whole used motor for a 1,000 or less. surely you can pick up a head off of someone that has blown their engine. i would think parts+machine shop+head would be around 2k. as long as you have the know how to do it yoruself

:dizzy::dizzy: wow thats alot! these motors are simple simple simple to work on. quick search on ebay came up with an entire rebuild kit. sleeves, pistions, gaskets, rings, bearings, the whole shootin match for 850 bucks. get your crank turned and then email them your main bearing and rod sizes and they ship you the kit. a used head cant be to much. Shoot, i would think you could buy a whole used motor for a 1,000 or less. surely you can pick up a head off of someone that has blown their engine. i would think parts+machine shop+head would be around 2k. as long as you have the know how to do it yoruself
But what qaulitty are the parts and machineing.I also know that he needed a cam shaft to that was around 800 dollars . Just all depends on what the engine needs i guess really. I think he got new injectors too.

little more digging has came up with an entire rebuild kit for 725. also on ebay there is a new head for 865. its bare. if you absoutly cannot find a used one. let us know if you get it

But what qaulitty are the parts and machineing.I also know that he needed a cam shaft to that was around 800 dollars too. just all depends on what the engine needs i guess really. I think he got new injectors too.

that would increase the price quite a bit. plus you cant expect a guy to work for free. i'm not saying he got took, but im not used to factoring in paying for someone elses labor. If the owner was happy and its still running good i would say he and the mechanic both came out settin pretty.

The quality would concern me to, however i would check in town at bumper to bumper to see what they could get a rebuild kit for. i usually have good luck with their parts. i doubt it would be any higher. these motors are everywhere.

Back