Need a new brush to sweep my chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt1581

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
About 5-6 years ago I was brand new to using wood to heat our home. I burned some horrible wood that was actually encased in ice (due to the winter being brutal that year) and, long story short, my chimney eventually clogged up and the fire dept was called.

Immediately after that happened I bought my own brush/rods at Lowes. But it's been 5 years or so and the ends are melting because I burn constantly throughout the winter. I've contemplated buying a metal bush so it'll clean better and last forever. But I also don't want to damage my pipe or scrape it so creosote builds up faster (if it can grab easier to the scrape marks).

It's a double wall stainless chimney, I believe 6" wide on the interior. I'd like to be able to use the same fiberglass rods I have now.

Which brush would you suggest?

Thanks

-Emt1581

They recommend a poly brush for stainless steel. The ends of the brush are melting? Why can't you let the stove go out, and then clean it?

Who is they? Metalbestos is what I have and a steel brush is fine according to the manufacture. Least it was 7 years ago.
I use a soot eater though.

But it's been 5 years or so and the ends are melting because I burn constantly throughout the winter. I've contemplated buying a metal bush so it'll clean better and last forever.

-Emt1581

Why are you melting the ends of the brush? Let the fire go out and the chimney cool before brushing!

I would get another poly brush.

Maybe they all don't, but I think I have read some manufacturer recommendations to not use wire on a SS chimney.

From Selkirk Supervent instructions:

This will permit the insertion of a flashlight for inspection and a properly sized plastic chimney cleaning brush. A metal brush may scratch the liner and lead to premature corrosion.

If you're melting your brush, you need to do it after letting the fire die down. First thing in the morning might be good.

Who is they? Metalbestos is what I have and a steel brush is fine according to the manufacture. Least it was 7 years ago.
I use a soot eater though.

"They" are the installers I have spoken with (most include a poly brush with an install), companies selling the liners like Woodland direct, and most importantly, most of the liner manufacturers. If you use a metal brush and they call for a poly brush it could void your warranty should anything happen.

I use a Polly brush on my triple wall so chimney every fall before burning. I don't get much out but just do it for safety. Clean it before u burn every year... There shouldn't be any reason to use a metal brush.

Latest posts

Back