Need a new Processor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Currently, i have a Timberwolf CMX with an upgraded hydraulic saw and PTO driven pump.

I've been looking at the Chomper processor. Specifically the Super 16. However im not sold on the shearing part yet. Can you guys that own these machines comment on how well they perform in hard woods? Oak and hickory mostly.

Second choice would be anything with a huge circular saw blade. Palax, Cord King, etc. I cant really justify spending anything over 50k. I just need to upgrade my operation. Perferably at least 2 cord per hour.

I have tractors, skidders, log loaders so loading equiptment is not a problem. Let me see some opinions! Thanks

Everything you've you've mentioned are top of the line rigs. I had a demo on the Big Chomper and it was quite impressive. All the operator did was hustle back and forth too the log pile with the winch cable. This was all mostly smaller maple and birch though. You are limited to a certain size log due too the design of the chute but we were doing around 10"-12" diameter stuff and it handled it well. I think it's (Super 16) limited too 16"?

The cord king is out of the range you specified unless you can find a used one. I'm not sure about the Palax although the video's I've seen are impressive. It's a big investment for sure so you need something that fast and efficient. I really like the lack of saw chips with the chomper though. I just wonder about long term reliability with that blade too. There are two or three guys on the forum here who own or have owned Chompers that could weight in :cheers:

Last edited:
I have a manual Chomper 14.. I have not found any 14" logs of any species that it could not shear though yet...done 30 cords on it so far..no major issues..a few hydralic leaks...and a weld I had to fix..the dual stage pump crapped out almost right away..however Rainer shipped me a new one asap..

I would get a bigger engine to cut down on cycle time however..i only got the 18hp honda

its a great design idea..thats for sure...and way safer since no big blades are buzzing around..AND I did not have to get a grapple for my tractor since it loads from the ground..which is a great feature..

it will take some crooked logs as well...so overall I am very happy with it...

I can do 1 cord in 1hr 45min on it..thats a real honest time...taking into account non straight logs...using chainsaw to cut stuff thats over 14"..conveyor jams ect...ect..

Adam

ohhh.... whats great as well....

no sharpening...and no chain oil ect....its maintanince free that way...ok you have to grease a few nipples now and then..and change the engine oil....thats about it...

I have 70hours on the machine so far..

what do you mean a cord per hour is it a 1/3 cord [ face cord ] or a full cord 4'x4'x8', just curious :confused:

a full cord. And if im in good red oak i can do 4 rick an hour. (16" wood)

I need to start cutting north of 500 cord per year and a newer faster processor would greatly improve my profits :D

I need to start cutting north of 500 cord per year and a newer faster processor would greatly improve my profits :D

So what would you take for that pile of :censored: useless machinery you've been limping along with?

:cheers:

it is pto driven, so obviously you would need a tractor. The one im running it with is only ~40 hp. (Easier on fuel then our other 55-65 hp John Deeres) Could run on less. If you are serious i could crunch some numbers and get back with you. Email me at [email protected]

I looked at the Hakmet 100s also [ very nice machine ] but a little pricey I think at $55,000 with the log deck. I like the idea of the electric motor
[ 25hp] instead of a PTO.
they also have one like the 100s but with a chainsaw bar on it same features but a lot less, the last quote I got for the KS35s saw $20,000 with the smaller log deck, both machines have all hydraulics build into the machine .
I hope to be buying one within the next few weeks, unsure of which one though some people like the chainsaw and some the carbide tipped saw. if anybody has a firewood processor on this this forum let us know your thoughts on the chainsaw and saw blade.

I looked at the Hakmet 100s also [ very nice machine ] but a little pricey I think at $55,000 with the log deck. I like the idea of the electric motor
[ 25hp] instead of a PTO.
they also have one like the 100s but with a chainsaw bar on it same features but a lot less, the last quote I got for the KS35s saw $20,000 with the smaller log deck, both machines have all hydraulics build into the machine .
I hope to be buying one within the next few weeks, unsure of which one though some people like the chainsaw and some the carbide tipped saw. if anybody has a firewood processor on this this forum let us know your thoughts on the chainsaw and saw blade.

Im not that impressed with the Hakmet's. Even their flagship machine will only do less than a 16" log. Thats retarted. My almost-base-model timberwolf will do over 22 inches. :rolleyes:

I've thought about the electric models (in the Cord Kings, specifically) but then you are confined to one location, and that has to be near an electrical outlet. I often times process in the middle of nowhere, so thats no good.

The only downside to the circular saw would be the inital cost. However, i've sharpend MANY chains and screwed around with oilers and nasty oil long enough to see how the extra cash is worth it.

I wish i could run a cord king and a chomper for a week. Or observe one run in person, and process that species of wood that i am currently dealing with. I know the cord king would do it with ease, but the insane price makes it hard to justify. I want to see if the chomper could bust some of the knotty hickory and larger, curly white oaks.

If i buy a new machine, i either want a enclosed cab (Cord King, etc.) Or not have to stand near the machine to run it (Chomper)

My 2 cents

I have a Built Rite scp 30 processor. It runs 404 chain on 25" hydraulic saw bar. 33hp Kubota diesel power. If you tend to run big dirty logs this is not the way to go - you will spend all day sharpening chain. If you have a steady supply of clean and relativley straight logs you can crank out 1.5 cord an hour and not break a sweat with this type of machine. I got burned in the beginning by loggers who were bringing me crappy/punky/dirty logs. Now if they show up with junk it doesn't come off the truck. If you do end up buying chain type I would recommend buying a good quality grinder and learn how to use it properly. It makes a big difference. I can run 5-6 bush cord without sharpening on a good day. I also run canola oil mixed with Sthil Bio-oil for bar oil. Spending 8 hours a day breathing in petroleum oil is a bad idea.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Currently, i have a Timberwolf CMX with an upgraded hydraulic saw and PTO driven pump.

I've been looking at the Chomper processor. Specifically the Super 16. However im not sold on the shearing part yet. Can you guys that own these machines comment on how well they perform in hard woods? Oak and hickory mostly.

Second choice would be anything with a huge circular saw blade. Palax, Cord King, etc. I cant really justify spending anything over 50k. I just need to upgrade my operation. Perferably at least 2 cord per hour.

I have tractors, skidders, log loaders so loading equiptment is not a problem. Let me see some opinions! Thanks

I have a Hakki pilki made in Finland. . it sounds like the unit you have.I am based in the uk Other machines over here are Palax and Japa. I fill my 8x4x4 trailer in about 45mins on a good day 1hr on a bad day. One point to remember is If you have neigbours chainsaw blade is quieter than circular saw. Also if you hit something hard grown in a log chain is cheap compared to blade.

chomper

Im not that impressed with the Hakmet's. Even their flagship machine will only do less than a 16" log. Thats retarted. My almost-base-model timberwolf will do over 22 inches. :rolleyes:

I've thought about the electric models (in the Cord Kings, specifically) but then you are confined to one location, and that has to be near an electrical outlet. I often times process in the middle of nowhere, so thats no good.

The only downside to the circular saw would be the inital cost. However, i've sharpend MANY chains and screwed around with oilers and nasty oil long enough to see how the extra cash is worth it.

I wish i could run a cord king and a chomper for a week. Or observe one run in person, and process that species of wood that i am currently dealing with. I know the cord king would do it with ease, but the insane price makes it hard to justify. I want to see if the chomper could bust some of the knotty hickory and larger, curly white oaks.

If i buy a new machine, i either want a enclosed cab (Cord King, etc.) Or not have to stand near the machine to run it (Chomper)

there are lots of those for sale in canada that cutting knife isn't standing up , have seen a couple that the shear knife was cracked big bucks

the cord king is a great machine 500 cords would be nothing for that thing just that big 60 inch circular saw winging past your head inches outside that cab would take some getting use to and the price too . Nice fella builds them in Perth Ontario Canada little east of me by 350 miles but good for cutting 30 inch diameter stuff like what we have

I have looked at two Chomplers and they really cut the logs. Two draw backs are the price 10,000 used and the log size limit. Also the logs need to be green . How can you make a profit cutting firewood? I cut 40 cords last year and made very little money when I counted up my time and expenses. Any suggestions to improve my profit margin would be appreicated.

I have looked at two Chomplers and they really cut the logs. Two draw backs are the price 10,000 used and the log size limit. Also the logs need to be green . How can you make a profit cutting firewood? I cut 40 cords last year and made very little money when I counted up my time and expenses. Any suggestions to improve my profit margin would be appreicated.

Put your prices up. I did about forty cords last year and charge £130 or $260 for a cut and split cord. More of a paying hobby that covered the cost of machinery. To make a living at it I would think you need to sell about $160,000 worth. I think about half the turn over is profit before you take out your time.

logs for chomper dont have to be green...have not cut any green logs yet wih it..all my logs have been sitting 1 year + before I cut them...no issues

I've studied the chomper machine for use in oak and hickory and was not pleased with the results. The processing time for the chomper doesn't meet the quota that you are looking for which is where you either make or brake the bank. The number one fall back of the chomper is the box configuration, it limits the size of log that you can handle and is the location of most of your jams because of the moving parts inside when the blade repositions. Another fall back is because it loads from the ground it drags the logs through the mud and dirt before cutting them making the firewood worse to handle. It's a great concept but not for those of us making a living from selling firewood.

If I was able to afford a new processor then it would be a cord king with the circular blade, don't forget the cab too lol. There was a thread on here last year talking about how long they could go without sharpening the circular blades and it was amazing compared to the chains.

Being that my raw wood here in Texas isn't very straight, because it's all tree tops, I had to resort to the 066 with 18" bar and TW-6 to produce 1+ cords an hour with three guys.

Re: Chomper

if you dont shove any wood over 14" in teh 14" model or 16" in the 16 model...you wont have any issues...simple as that...

I have run 30 cords thru mine...and the only jams were my fault for trying to fit too big diamter logs thru...

no issues dragging the logs on the ground either..

ummm lets not forget the price difference of a cord king vs a chomper either...plus the added cost of needing a grapple tractor/loader with the cord king..plus needing 2 people to run it...

you have to cut a crap load of wood to cover that cost differnce...

Back