Need a new saddle on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aldegar

www.gigharborbigfoot.com
Reaction score
So, my saddle is really worn out and I think after 5 years it's time to replace it. I need something that is less expensive. I am looking at the cougar, puma, viking, and ergo economy. Tree service in Gig Harbor is wet during the winter so I like the lighter faster drying puma but comfort is always a bonus. Never heard anything about the ergo economy, rope bridge is not really all that necessary for me since I mostly climb evergreens. Anyone tried these?

Weaver wide back with seat. Under $200 and very comfortable. If your not doing any fancy climbing it's all you need.

I've got the Weaver Cougar with the batten seat, excellent saddle.

It is a really hard choice, looking at maybe spending a bit more on the Ergo lite, tree motion light or edge.

It is a really hard choice, looking at maybe spending a bit more on the Ergo lite, tree motion light or edge.
Ergo light is a great saddle. I spend a lot of time swinging around big cottonwood in mine and have no complaints about comfort. Only thing I would change is throw a larger ring on the bridge.

Just buy an Ergovation and be done with it. That's what I did and I'll never wear a different harness.

As you say you climb in the rain a lot, and a rope bridge is not really all that important to you, you would do well to check out the Petzl Avaos. I had the model they made before the Avao(same saddle different name?) and it was just an excellent saddle, as all the Petzl saddles are.
For 260.00 for the base model, 290.00 odd for the fast buckles which are nice but not needed unless you take your saddle off between trees and the Avaos fit like a glovew, I used to leave it on all day. Ive never had a problem with the adjustable buckles, they tighten up just fine time after time They are super comfy, basic utilitarian saddles that work very well and will dry throughout the day if the sun happpens to make an appearance. I have since moved on to a SRT Sequioa, a very nice saddle as well, if a little more pricey(worth every penny).
Good luck with your new saddle, and stay safe.

PS: as for the comments regarding what someone is willing to spend on a harness, why not just save it, the post is titled 'Need a new saddle on a budget' ?
Arent we all on budgets? Dont we all try to save money whenever and wherever possible.
Is a climbing saddle any different.
Not too me

The cougar is my choice for an inexpensive saddle. I climb mostly evergreens as well, but love the rope bridge for spikeless climbing. I also own a Sherrill Edge and there is not a big difference in comfort, but a huge difference in price.

Im flyin the Buckingham Glide Lite. Im big on light weight and comfort. My old New Tribe Ultra light is comfy but I gotta have a bridge.

Latest posts

Back