need a new wood stove now

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have toadmit that I started reading that thread, and got bored so I skipped ahead to the last page where there was discussion of thermostat problems. That didnt bother me, so I started leaning towards this furnace. Thanks for the heads up. I went back a few more pages and did some more reading. I have 5 kids, and I dont need these kind of problems. I can get by until it wams up now so I will keep and eye on this issue. If it isnt resolved I will just get the Daka and be happier than what I am now.

OK, this is the first time I heard any negative feedback about the Royall. They are welding those with machines now. I was really impressed by how they were made so unless it had 20 years of use, I'm surprised.
Well over 20 years of use. The last few years it has actually been abused so to speak as well so it is definatly ready for a well deserved retirement. It has served its purpose well. They dont last forever.

Its just a 17$ thermo switch and don't make a point to leave ashes or coals in the ash drawer unless you plan to empty them out . not a deal breaker for what you get for your money its safe when ran right and sbi is on top of some of these concerns ..I'm sure if you throw enough wood at a Daka a woodblast or other smoke dragon and adjust it accordingly it could heat your house (just like a 82 ford fairmont can get you to work everyday too but not to efficeintly )but by passing on caddy or drolet or kumma you'd be giving up a secondary reburn btu automated air intake via digital hermostat control a safety shutdown clean burning technology nearly double the burn time and save a lot of firewood in a season but its your time and money
You can buy something cheap but you'll go through more wood and in a short time your initial savings will be negated

Last edited:
Flotek, I'm gonna try to copy and paste your post into the Tundra thread, I'd like to discuss it more there.
Its just a 17$ thermo switch and don't make a point to leave ashes or coals in the ash drawer unless you plan to empty them out . not a deal breaker for what you get for your money its safe when ran right and sbi is on top of some of these concerns ..I'm sure if you throw enough wood at a Daka a woodblast or other smoke dragon and adjust it accordingly it could heat your house (just like a 82 ford fairmont can get you to work everyday too but not to efficeintly )but by passing on caddy or drolet or kumma you'd be giving up a secondary reburn btu automated air intake via digital hermostat control a safety shutdown clean burning technology nearly double the burn time and save a lot of firewood in a season but its your time and money
You can buy something cheap but you'll go through more wood and in a short time your initial savings will be negated

Well I ended up going with the Daka from Menards. We started smelling smoke in the house again the other night so I took the covers off the old Royal and found another huge seam split open. I couldn't let this go on any longer so I called menards and had them raise the debt ceiling on my card and headed off to the store yesterday. Got home in the middle of horrible road conditions and drug it into the basement only to learn that I needed a different adapter for the chimney pipe.

By this time it was getting dark and the wind was blowing so hard that you could barely see anything. This being our only source of heat I decided to make the journey to get a new one. I made it 3 miles to the highway and that took me 45 minutes. I decided it wasnt worth it and started looking for a place to turn around when I drove right into the ditch. I was completely lost, and had no idea what direction I was even going. To make matters even worse I had left the house with no cell phone (in a hurry) and in a spring wind breaker no gloves and no hat. Forgot to mention that the wife decided she had to go with me too and was dressed equally as well. You would think being a snowmobiler I would know better than to leave the house like that. I looked at the compass in the van to get an idea of where I was at. I figured I was about a half mile from a buddy's house so I figure I would walk for help, and of course the wife would not stay in the van where it was safe. We took off walking and didnt make it 100 yards or so and she couldnt go any further. About that time we walked out of the snow cloud and spotted lights on in a house up the road. I suddenly knew where we were and it was nowhere close to where I thought. We rushed to the house for safety. Good thing for country folks to take in a couple strangers cause we surely would not have made it to the next house.

Well enough of that. It turned into a long story. Anyway I went back tonight and got eh chimney adapter and a few supplies to get some temporary ducting into the furnace. Here it is installed and the first fire burning. It's pushing 20 below right now and the temp is slowly climbing in the house so I am going to assume this will keep the house warm.

DSCN2107.jpg DSCN2105.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Glad you're up and running (and not froze to death in a snowbank). 19 below here right now, not having heat would be a VERY bad thing.

Dang that's a scary story .. And a good reminder to all who read that. ! Hope the unit does what you need it to do sounds like you've had enough troubles lately

I know us northern folks are hardy but to go out with just a wind breaker is just nuts.
May be ok to run out to the garage like that for a wrench or some thing but to go for a drive.

To bad you couldn't have fit it in one of those 14% off brown bags they sent out. We only got 4 of them.

:D Al

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back