Need a wood ID please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

272super

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Need a wood ID please. It's got the look of Red elm or Siberian elm but I've never had that much trouble splitting those. Not the case with this. It is green right now but almost impossible to split by hand.Maul just bounces off it.It's got the piss elm smell. Cottonwood has that smell too and is also hard to split green. Very heavy so maybe this is something else entirely. Hoping it's not cottonwood. It seems to have alot of grown rings for a tree under 12" so I'm thinking it might be a decent hardwood.Maybe elm? Thanks 003.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG

Need a wood ID please. It's got the look of Red elm or Siberian elm but I've never had that much trouble splitting those. Not the case with this. It is green right now but almost impossible to split by hand.Maul just bounces off it.It's got the piss elm smell. Cottonwood has that smell too and is also hard to split green. Very heavy so maybe this is something else entirely. Hoping it's not cottonwood. It seems to have alot of grown rings for a tree under 12" so I'm thinking it might be a decent hardwood.Maybe elm? Thanks View attachment 386062 View attachment 386063 View attachment 386064

Looks like Red Elm I have found spiting Elm
by hand is the easiest when I work from the outside in. Peel it like an onion.

Yeah... looks like elm.
It ain't American Elm... no creamy-white layers in the bark.
Not 100% sure from there... young, small diameter elms are difficult to distinguish by picture without leaves.
Given your location it could be Red (Slippery) Elm (chewing on a bit of inner bark would confirm), Siberian Elm, Rock Elm (although, Rock is usually low in MC), or even a rare (for your location) Winged Elm (Wahoo).
It don't look quite right for Red Elm to me... but...

Yeah... looks like elm.
It ain't American Elm... no creamy-white layers in the bark.
Not 100% sure from there... young, small diameter elms are difficult to distinguish by picture without leaves.
Given your location it could be Red (Slippery) Elm (chewing on a bit of inner bark would confirm), Siberian Elm, Rock Elm (although, Rock is usually low in MC), or even a rare (for your location) Winged Elm (Wahoo).
It don't look quite right for Red Elm to me... but...
Just wondering, what does chewing the inner bark of slippery elm do? We only have winged elm and a few American elms in my region.

redheadwoodshed,
Grinding the inner bark between your teeth extracts an extremely slimy/snotty/slippery substance (hence the name Slippery Elm).
If you compare it to any other elm (or near any tree bark), it becomes readily apparent... like the creamy-white layers in American Elm bark, the "slipperiness" of Red Elm bark makes for a positive ID.

My guess would be red elm. Yes it will be hard to split by hand when green. I had a American elm about that size that was basically impossible to split with a hydraulic splitter, too stringy..I let it sit till spring and it was much easier. Let it dry a little.

Need a wood ID please. It's got the look of Red elm or Siberian elm but I've never had that much trouble splitting those. Not the case with this. It is green right now but almost impossible to split by hand.Maul just bounces off it.It's got the piss elm smell. Cottonwood has that smell too and is also hard to split green. Very heavy so maybe this is something else entirely. Hoping it's not cottonwood. It seems to have alot of grown rings for a tree under 12" so I'm thinking it might be a decent hardwood.Maybe elm? Thanks View attachment 386062 View attachment 386063 View attachment 386064
I only see about 19 chop marks in that one, are you sure it's an elm if it split that easy? ;)

Got to be red elm or slippery, growth rings are just to big to be rock elm.
Yeah even Red elm can sometimes be a pain to split.

Elm created Popeye LOL

Lol.

The site was down for a couple of hours and after it came back up you couldn't like any posts for a while.

Since it came back up, I lost the ability to see images or vids hosted outside of the arboristsite domain. I have to view source or hit reply, copy the link from there, and open it in a new tab.

note: I don't allow AS any javascript...didn't get burned last hack, not going to get burned on the next one either, when, not if, but when ever that happens.

To the OP, some kinda elm. Just let it sit until well cracked and the bark falls off, then try it again. Even if it takes a year... Go cut more wood in the meantime, take smalls that don't need any splitting if you need to stack something right now.

I agree that is of the elm family, just hard to narrow it down without a leaf or twig pics. Looks like fun to split though!!

Latest posts

Back