Need advice-hung up tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc38

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Most of what I normally for people cut is on the ground. As you can see this is not. I do some felling too but I have never had a tree hung up like this to remove. Looks a little tricky. I'm open to suggestions. I did not take this down, it fell over in a storm.

Here is the tree from a distance of about 40 ft.

IMG_0909.jpg

The butt is actually resting on a pile of wood from a previous take down. It is perhaps 30" at the very bottom. A tree service had done that takedown, the next day, this tree came down in high winds.

IMG_0910.jpg

Here is a view standing on top of the base of trunk looking up the tree. The tree has two main forks. The right fork is resting in the crotch of a pine tree as you can see. The crotch it is resting in is perhaps 13-14 ft off the ground. The left fork is not hung up. You can walk up the trunk to where the tree is hung up, but it is kinda steep. It perhaps starts as a 20 degree incline, but the right fork is less than that, maybe 12-15 degree incline. I was able to walk up to where tree was hung up

IMG_0911.jpg

Here is another view of the two forks from standing under base of tree and looking up.

IMG_0912.jpg

Here is another view from the backside looking up at two forks.

IMG_0914.jpg

The timeframe is open so I don't have to do this tomorrow or anything. I'd like to be able to get it because I can get the wood from the first takedown too which together would be over 2 cords of oak.

I have ideas about how to do this but am not sure.

I'm open to suggestions from my AS brethren :greenchainsaw:

gotta winch?

I personally would cut as much of the "top" as i could first....:clap:

+ 1 on the winch. I think I'd be trying to pull that puppy outta there.
Walking up and cutting it looks like a good way to get hurt. Get it on the ground first.

:buttkick:

gotta winch?
I personally would cut as much of the "top" as i could first....

Both good ideas. Always hard to tell without being there, but 'if it were my tree . . .' I would like to cut away as much of the top as possible, using a powered pole pruner for the higher limbs.

It looks like the trunk is held pretty steady in the crotch of the second tree, but, since the butt is on a pile of cut wood, it could slide and drop and/or roll. I would start at the top and cut it up into firewood-sized pieces until I reached the crotch tree, always keeping myself away from being under the tree or where it might roll. Best option then would be to use a rope or chain to pull it free from the crotch to the ground: that would be safer than underbucking it.

Philbert

Wow, My first choice is to drop weight and thats starting on the butt end and cut as much as I can safely. 16-18in cuts as far up as I can..Long bar sure come in handy here! Thats where I would start and see what happens my mind could change on this one. After dropping some weight the wench could come into play.

That's nasty... That snag is way up there. I like the idea of getting weight out of the top of that tree but like others have said you are going to need a pole saw for that and those limbs are pretty damn big up beyond the snag. The further you can get that thing winched out of that crotch the better.

Be safe and good luck.

I agree with Tom.

Not difficult for someone with enough experience.

I can think of several ways of doing it.

Any reputable tree guy should be able to get it loose for no more than a couple hundred bucks.I'd say that's a lot cheaper than getting hurt.

If I was closer I'd do it for you.

Not difficult for someone with enough experience.

I can think of several ways of doing it.

Any reputable tree guy should be able to get it loose for no more than a couple hundred bucks.I'd say that's a lot cheaper than getting hurt.

If I was closer I'd do it for you.
:agree2:its and easy one but cant tell him how to do it tom

Just get underneath and start cutting. You'll be fine. Close your eyes if it gets scary. What you don't see can't hurt you. :D:jester::)

That's the spirit!!
Look at them arborists making a big fuss over a coupla cords of firewood...
I would think of making a day of it, getting friends and family to a nice picnic on a nice day, why, the kids can help pushing the tree so it falls where you want it. Don't forget videotaping it for youtube and the news.
:):):)

SA

Wow... I'm impressed. A guy posts a legitimate question about a situation he's concerned with BEFORE cutting anything, includes all the details he can think of, attached pictures from every angle, yet most replies are simply smart ass remarks.

peterc38... what do you have available for equipment? Anything to pull with? Do you have a rental place nearby if you don't have a pole saw? It also looks like the limb that's jammed in the crotch has a large split in it in one of the photos. If that's the case it adds more uncertainty to the equation. Do not try to "fence-post" this tree to get the wood you can reach.

Wow... I'm impressed. A guy posts a legitimate question about a situation he's concerned with BEFORE cutting anything, includes all the details he can think of, attached pictures from every angle, yet most replies are simply smart ass remarks.

your the smart :censored:we are not going to tell a homeowner how to do it and get hurt we are telling him to get some help

Back