Need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashagn

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a arborist friend that offered to send me his Weaver wideback saddle to try out since he is currently in a bucket truck. I said thanks but no, i dont like to borrow equipment like that. Thing is i do have 1 tree takedown to do and it looks like i wont beable to drop it. Its about 15 ft away from a house but the town is laid back i could drop the tree across the gravel street and have it cleaned up with no problems but the guy doesnt want the mess. It will have to be climbed. Last tree i climbed the homeowner borrowed safety equipment from work. Full fall arrest climbing harness. It was heavy and uncomfortable but i got the job done, tree overhanging highway and i had to set up a static line going back into the yard for all the branches to follow down on. I will be investing in some climb right spurs but iam still thinking on a harness. The only thing iam planning in the future is spur climbing. Comfort is the main thingiam lookin for and not crotch pinchers. My price range is 250.00 and below for the harness. On Baileys the ones ive been lookin at are the Weaver Cougar Wide Back Saddle, Weaver Wide Back 4-Dee Saddle with Split Suspension. The one that has my eye is the Petzl Navaho Sit Fast Harness but iam told i wouldnt like it becouse its more for rope climbing and rock climbing more then anything. Any suggestions?

RE: any suggestions?

Give it up before you get hurt or killed.

Go to work for a tree service, start dragging piles of brush and learn the right way - from the ground up!

Great advice... and thanks for the encouragement. I posted in this section for advice on a harness and thats what i get. Dont know if your joking or not on that 1 or not. Last time i was up in the tree i had fun doing it. Was all about safety and was tied in to atleast 2 different points and not about how fast i could get the job done but to do it right. All the other work ive done was just cut n drops and cleanup up everything. Most of the wood i get from acereages that get bulldozed and personly can even be more dangoures with trees pushed into a pile and under pressure and have had them snap back at me and lay me on my ass. I do have ppe that i always wear when on the ground. Around my area ive seen 1 company and i rthink they was based in a town 18 miles away. I already work full time in a office and i consider running my saws a hobby. Ive already taken 1 tree down on this persons place and they want me to come back to do another becouse they personly liked the cleanup, nothing left, all chips raked up and taken away, all divits pushed back in and the lawn ready to mow

Last edited:
Sorry to sound discouraging. Its just that tree climbing is pretty serious stuff and doesnt make the best hobby. Its best left to those of us that have chosen to make our living doing this and have been properly trained.

Good for you with the ppe and the two tie in points though, sounds like you got the right idea. Good luck, just remember all that ppe isnt what REALLY keeps us safe out there, it just helps. Again, sorry to sound like a d!@# earlier.

no problem. I know ppe wont ever keep you safe, the only reason i got it was cause i almost got injured and was cutting by myself in a pushed in tree pile. Tree snapped at me and hit me in the stomach knockin me on my but about 10 feet back. Knocked the crap outa me and luckily the 371xp went the other way and chainbrake worked. Iknow if it hit me in the chest i would have been getting some ribs patches or if it was in the face broke nose or cracked skull. Since then it was full wrap chaps, helmet and faceshield, and to take my father (who is a great standing supervisor, and push the button on the winch operator) instead of my dog. Iam just looking for opinions on a less expensive saddle or harness that is comfortable and if others have used the ones i posted above

Latest posts

Back