Need adwice to build A barn to my new mill.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janbhauge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi
I need some advice to build a barn to my new Woodmizer LT 15, it is 6 meters long, and 2 meters width. What would you do today if you should build a barn for your mill.:greenchainsaw:
Best regards
Jan

Is this a permanent location? If not, I wouldn't cover it all. If it is a permanent location, the options are determined by your pocket book. Do you need access to both sides by loader equipment? forklifts, tractors and such? If so you are looking at a pole type structure with open sides so that you have unimpeeded access for equipment. So you would be looking for the largest structure with no posts in the middle. This leaves out most portable enclosures as they need to have posts at 6ft+ intervals. That pretty much leaves it wide open. If you are going to build the structure from scratch, (of course milling the main components!) it is just a matter of how big you want to build it. My humble opinion of course.... but it is very critical if this mill will travel or not. A cover on the engine might be enough unless you are in a rain forest. Do NOT use a plastic type cover on anything for long periods of time. It is better to let the air circulate than not in most cases. That brings up a another point.... what kind of weather are you thinking to protect against?

There a couple of different trains of thought on this subject. One you could build a little one-sided shed that will just cover the mill, it could even close up completely when not in use. The other is that you can not have to big of a mill shed as it will give you a place to store the lumber that you mill that is close to the mill minimizing the handling of the wood. It kinda comes down to how much you want to spend on the project, both time and money.

Wood barn

Hi
The location is permanent, but I does't have any experience with milling, so I have to try out some milling to see, if I need access on both sides of the mill for a forklift and a wagon.
The structure will be build from scratch, I was thinking on a Timberframe barn, with a 7 meter wide opening for access with lumber for the mill, and one end of the barn closed for the mill for protection against the weather, when not in use.

Regards

Jan

One thing to add to what the guys above have stated. You also need to give a little thought time to future expansion. If you really get into milling and want to do more having the track area exposed on all sides is a real plus. Loading, unloading and clean up will all be easier. Most of the high use mills I have seen only have a structure to park the head rig in when not in use.

That is a way cool carport/garage by the way. Did you build that?

One thing to add to what the guys above have stated. You also need to give a little thought time to future expansion. If you really get into milling and want to do more having the track area exposed on all sides is a real plus. Loading, unloading and clean up will all be easier. Most of the high use mills I have seen only have a structure to park the head rig in when not in use.

That is a way cool carport/garage by the way. Did you build that?

No,the building on the picture is not build bye me, but it is a inspiration to what I have in mind to build.

Regards
Jan

which dimension timber to mill for the barn?

The dimension on the timber for this structure, how big schould it be?
I think I will build in redwood (Piciea abies, latin).

Jan

Jan

I am confused but that is nothing new.
My first though was that if you are building structural with “REDWOOD” is that you would want to build with over sized beams, as redwood is a very soft wood. Then I looked up “PICIEA ABIES” and it shows it as being “NORWAY SPRUCE” which is more structural then “REDWOOD”
By the way nice inspiration for the barn.

I've milled and built a bit with Norway Spruce... It makes very good lumber...

Rob

Jan

The timber sizing is dependent on the size of the structure. The easiest way to get an idea of what you want is to find a sound building you like and copy it using like dimensioned members. Simple structures are easy to design and very economical to construct with rough cut timbers. Two books I really enjoyed and found useful when I began timber framing were:

A Timber Framers Workshop by Steve Chappell
Building The Timber Frame House (The Revival of a Forgotten Craft) by Ted Benson

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I've milled and built a bit with Norway Spruce... It makes very good lumber...

Rob

Hm. I remember specifically my grading instructor saying that Norway Spruce has no design value from the North American Lumber Grading Association, and as such is not commercially saleable for structural use. Though I'm sure that's just because it's an introduced species that isn't very popular. I would imagine it has very similar structural properties to White or Engelmann Spruce.

Norway Spruce

Hi
The Norway Spruce that they use here are from the mountains, that is what I have heard, and it is growing slowly because of the colder weather in the mountains, I think.
Jan

Last edited:
Yeah, it looks like good wood and should be perfectly usable. I've seen stumps from Norways in peoples' yards over here though with growth rings well over 1/4" wide from being overwatered. I wouldn't want a house built from that!

Back