Need axe recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
computer user, that's an excellent combo and exactly what I used before getting my 35 ton splitter.

used wood handle light splitting maul for easy to split wood, then used solid steel widge maul for really tuff splits. if that didn't work, big Stihl comes out.

now I'm so spoiled by my 35 ton splitter, it's the only way to go!

Gransfors Bruks Large Splitting Axe

There are hardware store, garden variety axes, and then there are the Swedes. Gransfors Bruks and Wetterlings are the kings. (They source their steel from the same maker, by the way). Mine is made by Rune Andersson, and i can tell that because he stamped his initials on the head next to the maker's mark. If it breaks, Rune buys me a replacement.

If you take care of your tools and only want to buy them once, you owe it to yourself to check out Swedish-made Axes. They are a joy in the hand and make pleasant work easier. Seriously.

The tool is so well thought out:

Hardened Swedish steel to Rockwell 57-58.
Polished and flared cheeks to power through rounds
Just heavy enough to swing fast (3.5 pounds). Remember, force is a function of velocity and mass, so if you can swing this axe faster than an 5 pound maul, you'll do much better.
Steel collar for overstrike protection, wrapped around a...
Hot Linseed Oiled/Beeswax rubbed hickory handle that is shaped just right.

Everything about this axe is right.

Wow, sounds like a nasty accident.
What about getting a 5lb splitting wedge and welding a steel tube handle to it? I should be able to swing that, and then if it doesn't go through, I could beat on it with a maul. Or should I just keep using what I have and get a couple wedges for when things get stuck? Anybody like those wood grenades?

If you are going to split anything more than small pine or poplar, or some other wimpy wood, you need wedges and a sledge hammer. If you are breaking handles, you need to work on your technique.

I have the Iron & Oak monster maul, a regular 8 pound maul (fiberglass handle, of course!), some wedges, and an 8 pound sledgehammer. Again, fiberglass handle.

I split everything with those, except elm and crotches. I hope to get a hydraulic splitter for that stuff some day, but meanwhile my setup goes through everything from pine to poplar to hickory to oak, from 12" up to 36", and occasionally 40". With the biggest stuff, I do quarter the face of the round about 3" deep with the chainsaw, to help me get started. At 24" I don't bother with that.

I love the Iron & Oak maul. My local hardware store has one that looks more like the TSC version. I doesn't look to me as good, but it might be just fine.

I also bought my wedges from Iron & Oak - they are very good. Really bite well. I have a hardware store wedge that is much harder to start.

The small hammer I bought wasn't worth SPIT. It didn't last a half season of using it to set wedges. Head broke off at the weld.

BTW, those prices you see on the website include shipping. Great folks to deal with. I would have no hesitation buying from them again.

Bailey's has a good assortment of mauls, and like Iron & Oak, they are very good people.

Using a sledgehammer-Smart Wedge, the cats meow. Just want a good axe for pounding plastic falling wedges and trimming branches/having fun-Arvika 41/2lb.

Smart Wedge? Got a link on that? I tried a search, but came up with everything from house furnishings to bed pillows! :dizzy:

Ya want an axe? I got an axe for ya
icon_Kill2.gif
........:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well, I try. There are two little dudes in my head: one of them says "buy the cheap one because it costs less," and the other guy says "yeah but the expensive one will work alot better, so the potentially considerable extra expense is probably worth it." Sometimes the cheap guy wins the shouting match, and sometimes it's the high-quality guy.
And then sometimes I just buy the cheap tool because it's available and I don't know any better. That's what happened with the axes and mauls.

I tend to use a wedge and a maul. Don't know the weights. With that setup you can conserve energy to split as long as you want(don't need to take enormous swings and split it in one swing). It is a little slower but requires less energy. Then again I can also one hand my maul so it requires very little energy. Evan

Latest posts

Back