NEED ECHO HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my weed eater, I used a pair of fine tip needle nose pliers to get the screws out. Then I used my Dremel to cut a slot in each one. I could have bought a set of the adjustment screw drivers off of eBay, but I had both screws out, cut, and put back in in about 30 minutes.

L8R,
Matt

Some of these carbs are made to be difficult to "fix". I'll second the extraction and then grinding. That's what I do on the Poulan's I encounter.

Maybe get some heavy tubing to slip over the jet to remove it if you can't get pliers in there?

Another "cheater method" is to get a red or blue small female spade crimp-on connector. Slide the connector over a small screwdriver and use the plastic end as the adjustment tool. If you get the right size, the splines on the carb screws will cut into the plastic insulator enough to either use it as a carb adjuster or to remove them to cut slots in them. But this works best if the carb screws are course or fine splined. I haven't tried it with a pac-man or D shaped screw.

L8R,
Matt

D and double D are easy - drill hole in end of bar stock (a small grade 2 bolt works) slightly larger than the diameter of the needle, and then smack it with a hammer until you get the deformation you need to grip the needle.

Another idea that just came to me would be drilling a close-fit to the OD of the needle and filling the end with red Loctite. Assemble the two, let it set, turn out the needle, heat the Loctite and extract, then grind your slot.

Some of these carbs are made to be difficult to "fix". I'll second the extraction and then grinding. That's what I do on the Poulan's I encounter.

Maybe get some heavy tubing to slip over the jet to remove it if you can't get pliers in there?
Copper tubing is nice and soft, push it on the screw and it makes it's own splines.

Latest posts

Back