Need fix for Poor idling Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceancruze1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 026 that will not stay idling, and does not have a good idle, what is the logical sequence of steps to troubleshoot the problem? Obvious solution is to turn up the idle adjustment screw but that is not necessarily solving the problem Change gas filter, carb rebuild,......??

Can anyone suggest the proper way to adjust the low and high speed jets/screw after rebuilding the carb?

Start one turn out on both high and low. That should get you started. Let it warm up good, 2-3 minutes of idling and revving it up some. Adjust the H screw to where the saw doesn't just keep revving, it has a slight burble to it. Some call it "four stroking". Should sound like it is hitting the a rev limiter ever so slightly, or missing a tad. Then turn the L screw left very slowly till it idles up to its highest rpm, then to the right slowly till it idles up again, and go back between the two points and leave it there. Rev it up some and see if the throttle response is good, you may have to tune the L screw a little richer on leaner to get the response perfect. Then set your idle speed with the idle screw. for the H and L screws, right turns make leaner, left turns richer. Line and filter and plug are cheap. Just change it if your doubting it.

Last edited:
It could be that your carb needs tuned.

I will warn you though that 260s do not seem to tune well at idle. If you tune it rich enough on the L to have good throttle acceleration, the engine will load up and hesitate after idling for only a few seconds. If you tune it lean enough to not load up, it will not accelerate well off idle. Erick has demonstrated this on a newer stock 260. I've had 3-4 carb on my 260 and they all did it. Now that I'm running 044 carb, the issue is gone. Moral of the story, it may never completely tune out.

Latest posts

Back