Need help identifying McCulloch saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me check up in the attic over the weekend and see if I have any spares, $30 seems pretty high for a set of rings.

Mark
That's what I was thinking. No hurry! It's a holiday weekend. Plus I don't have it apart yet. May end up needing a piston anyway.

Call me crazy...but this looks like electronic ignition. Someone has converted it. It still has the points cam lobe on the crank.

Attachments

• 1467399504134.jpg
    1467399504134.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 1467399664032.jpg
    1467399664032.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
You bought an old McCulloch saw so yes, you are crazy.

On the other hand, the electronic coils from any of the other 10 Series saws will bolt right up and work without making any other changes. You have to give the McCulloch engineering team some credit for foresight when they were designing and executing their products.

In fact, the same electronic coil is used on the 600 Series saws as well with a longer spark plug wire. Easy to go from 600 to 10 Series, just shorten the wire. A bit more involved to go the other way as you normally destroy the plug wire when you remove it but still, you can remove and replace them by "simply" unscrewing the wire. I find that normally you will twist it off and have to dig the remnants out of the hole to expose the tapered screw stud before installing the new wire.

Mark

You bought an old McCulloch saw so yes, you are crazy.

On the other hand, the electronic coils from any of the other 10 Series saws will bolt right up and work without making any other changes. You have to give the McCulloch engineering team some credit for foresight when they were designing and executing their products.

In fact, the same electronic coil is used on the 600 Series saws as well with a longer spark plug wire. Easy to go from 600 to 10 Series, just shorten the wire. A bit more involved to go the other way as you normally destroy the plug wire when you remove it but still, you can remove and replace them by "simply" unscrewing the wire. I find that normally you will twist it off and have to dig the remnants out of the hole to expose the tapered screw stud before installing the new wire.

Mark
Lol!!!

Another question. Did anyone notice the carburetor? The adjustment screws are capped off! Any insight on this? What the heck!

I think you will find that the H is "capped off", that is to say it is equipped with a fixed High jet. You should be able to find the L adjustment screw if you keep looking.

I have a couple with the fixed high speed jet, great for work saws so you don't run it too lean but an adjustable jet is nice for cookie cutter.

Mark

Thanks Mark. Yes, I see it now. If needed, it should take a normal rebuild kit right?

Attachments

• 1467725420891.jpg
    1467725420891.jpg
    941.4 KB · Views: 11
Back