Need help installing piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my pics weren't good enough, Huh???????

My first one was weak, but my second one was reeeaaaall good.

I might have to post the pics of my sisters -in- law again.......

So my pics weren't good enough, Huh???????

My first one was weak, but my second one was reeeaaaall good.

I might have to post the pics of my sisters -in- law again.......

Fish;
I was having trouble resizing my picture, and while I was screwing around with that, you posted your pictures.
Now lets take a look at your sisters -in- law!

Ok

This was from last year's reunion, right before the girls volleyball tourney.

My wife is the puny one..........

Is there a locating peg in the ring groove?
If so, did you find it and make sure the ring gap went over the peg?

(1) The ring ends actually are not over the peg in the groove but are positioned on either side of it, that way theres no way you can install the ring incorrectly, installing the piston is another matter. I put the piston part way in the cylinder before i put it on the saw ( If room allows ) then i put the wrist pin in and install the cir clips, a good tip is to use a rag so the top heavy setup doestn't knock aganist the case, i have had no problems "yet" doing it this way you just need patience.

(2) HEY FISH, I'LL TAKE ONE EACH OF EVERTHING IN THE PIC, (EXCEPT THE TOP ENDS WHERE-TWO-WILL-DO) AND, COULD YA GIFT WRAP'EM TA GO??? And my "rep'y thing'y", has grown by three already tonight.

(3) Of course with my religous habits (ON) , my hands are steady as a rock.

FISH WHEN DID YOU START WEARING A "HABIT"?

Last edited:
Fish and AZLogger thanks for posting pictures of the piston ring stop.

When I get some new rings and a ring compression tool I will try again Thanks David

My piston ring arrived today. I put the ring on the piston and aligned it with the locate pin. Used the bailey's ring compression tool and reassembled my saw. The gasket toar so I used high temp silicone gasket sealer for [motorcycles,small engines,] I will test it out tomorrow I finished at 10pm. David

My piston ring arrived today. I put the ring on the piston and aligned it with the locate pin. Used the bailey's ring compression tool and reassembled my saw. The gasket toar so I used high temp silicone gasket sealer for [motorcycles,small engines,] I will test it out tomorrow I finished at 10pm. David

Dude, no disrespect intended but take it apart, get a gasket, install it, and torque it to specs. Silicone won't hold for that application I gaurentee you.

Also since it's a piston ported engine, you've changed the port timing a bit by lowering the cylinder. I concur with the rest if the crowd. Get a new gasket.

Ian

I ran the saw today it idled a little ruff. I replaced the stock 64cc piston and cylinder with a 79cc piston and cylinder. One of the members said gasket sealer would work OK. I is rated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit designed for motorcycles jet-skis and small engines..When I pulled the piston I noticed the crank is sitting in a plastic case. I don't think there is much pressure down in the crank case ? How would I know if it fails will it make a lot of noise like a blown or loose head on a car ? I cut a few tree trunks today about 1/2 a tank of gas. I will run the mixture a little rich for a few tanks than adjust the carb ? Does that sound like a good idea ? I am sure I have voided the warantee by changing the piston and cylinder. David:monkey:

Dude, no disrespect intended but take it apart, get a gasket, install it, and torque it to specs. Silicone won't hold for that application I gaurentee you.

No disrespect taken I bought a gasket with the cylinder and piston I was not able to locate it yesterday. If it runs funny I will take it apart and install the gasket. I don't think I used silicone I used high temp gasket sealer

Also since it's a piston ported engine, you've changed the port timing a bit by lowering the cylinder. I concur with the rest if the crowd. Get a new gasket.

Ian

Can you explain piston ported engine ?

If I changed the timing how do you adjust the timing, or is it easier to install a gasket.

Thanks David

How would I know if it fails will it make a lot of noise like a blown or loose head on a car ?

By seizing the piston in the cylinder because it has an air leak. You can't just pull a gasket from under the cylinder and throw it together. Your piston might be hitting the head. You have changed the port timing as well. It's one thing if you know what you're doing and are modding a saw and measuring the squish, not just slapping it together and running it. Like my father taught me, do it right or don't do it at all.

Can you explain piston ported engine ?

If I changed the timing how do you adjust the timing, or is it easier to install a gasket.

Thanks David

Timing in this case refers to when the piston opens and closes the ports in the cylinder in relation to the degrees of rotation of the crank. You can't just change the port timing. What you did resulted in changed port timing because you lowered the ports closer to the case. You have a lot of reading to do before you're ready to start doing anything besides assembling the saw as designed by the factory. If you want to learn to mod a saw, start reading and reading and reading. Otherwise, get a gasket and put the saw together right. You'll be doing yourself a favor.

Back