Need Help Making sense of Chain Types

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magnus

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i ordered 10 oilomatic super comfort 3/8 chains for my 660.

according to the stihl website,
STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort is the reduced vibration version of STIHL RAPID™ Super. A redesigned cutter and tie strap design reduces vibration levels significantly while still utilizing the aggressive full chisel cutter design. RSC offers the same cutting characteristics to STIHL RAPID™ Super with much lower vibration levels.

i paid about 70 USD for each chain though!

was this a good choice for milling crypto (soft wood) and acacia (hardwood)?

what would you guys recommend for future purchases.

i am still trying to make sense of the lingo, but i think i need to see it in action to really understand the differences.

i also ordered a Maxx Grinder, after searching the threads.

Thats a lot of chain!

My little brain is thinking you would be better off to buy chain by the 100 ft roll and pick up a spinner and breaker for <$100.

Stihl chain is nice but expensive, Oregon or Carlton make fine full chisel cutter chains that work well for milling. Couple hundred bucks for 100 ft roll, enough for a dozen or more long chains.

I don't see any advantage to the "Comfort" chain for milling and it may have disadvantages as the design plugs up space between cutters that could be otherwise filled with chips on wide cuts.

it is a bit tricky here, since everything comes by ship.

you pay allot for shipping and it is better to buy in quantity.

my only experience is with my 180 and in the past 2 years i have gone through 10 chains, although i did not have a sharpening machine, only a file.

so, hopefully these new 10 will last this year and next...i have no idea really.

i don´t really understand what Comfort means in this context.

i am looking over the stihl site and comparing the sketches, but it is sketchy at best for me.

Thats what I am saying buy the chain by 100 ft roll and make the loops yourself, will save on the cost big time and likely cost less to ship too, lower import fees.

sure, makes sense...i didn´t realize it was that straight forward to make chains.

when these wear down, i will revisit that idea.

is full chisel appropriate for my applications?

do you know what Comfort actually is and how it works?

my portuguese is ####ty, and this was the safest thing to order...recommended by Stihl for 660.

I wouldn't use full chisel to mill eucalypts, it relies too much on it point to cut and so goes blunt too quickly, then you have to file more and chain gets used up too quickly - I use semi chisel. Even more so if there is the slightest bit of grit in it.

Also I'd be going with 100' loops of chain and a basic granberg chain breaker/maker.

Last edited:
after reading about the difficulties of eucyliptus, i am leaning towards the idea of just quartering all of it and building a sweat lodge, log cabin style.

save the milling for crypto until i learn how it works and then move onto the acacia.

what you think?

after reading about the difficulties of eucyliptus, i am leaning towards the idea of just quartering all of it and building a sweat lodge, log cabin style.

save the milling for crypto until i learn how it works and then move onto the acacia.

what you think?

Depends how much you like nice wood!
The acacia is also nice too!

Back