need HELP! on 266xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up this saw for cheap, and it seems decent. Got it to run on prime. I don't think I will keep it but I would like to at least get it running right. Compression feels lowish, but enough to run. Pretty sure it's missing some AV components, although I'm not sure what, I will post pics of that area. I know the trigger assembly is broken which is why the fellow sold it. I found some of those on ebay, but are there different ones for different years? ( this has a metal brake flag). How the heck do you install the trigger assembly???? ( Have not reached YouTube yet). any advice on how to do that would be appreciated!IMG_1932.jpegIMG_1928.jpegIMG_1930.jpegIMG_1931.jpegIMG_1933.jpeg

Don’t bother. Just send it to me 😀. I have lots of parts for it .
I could add it to my winter pile of saws to build…all Husky but one…so far…may add a 630 Jonsered :p
why aren’t you keeping it? One of the best saws built, imo.
Parts…
https://www.barrettsmallengine.com/p/husqvarna-chainsaw-parts-lookup.html
Ray Benson has several manuals for the 266…there are a bunch due to all the different versions.

what does the side plate say? Is it a real 266xp? Many out there are frankinsaws

Looks like you are missing the screws on those rear upper AV mounts, hard to say what else without seeing it further apart.

There really aren't a whole bunch of versions of the 266, most evolutionary changes over the years are not that important when it comes to replacing parts. Coarse thread crank to fine was the big one. All 266's are dual coil ignition right until the end in 1997.
Early saws used the HS163 instead of the HS224, but they use the same kit. Late saws put the flywheel side crank seal in the case like a 268/272, but it's still the same seal. There are different mufflers and different versions of the jug, but they use all the same gaskets, piston and ring.
The earliest saws used the 162 air filter, but that was replaced in 82.

As for what the tag says, his saw does look to say XP on the tag, and I suspect it is a Yugoslavian or Slovenian built saw based upon the colour of the top cover and the tag.
That said, while Husky started using the XP stickers on the 266 in 1985, they didn't change the tag until 91 or 92. They said SE all along.
More info here:

Im guessing i need to separate the handle from the crankcase to replace trigger? Is that right? Have any of you ever done this? Also what type of screws(missing) hold the isolation mounts in place?

Im guessing i need to separate the handle from the crankcase to replace trigger? Is that right? Have any of you ever done this? Also what type of screws(missing) hold the isolation mounts in place?
Not necess but it makes it a lot easier.
With the tank off...
There are 2 pins that you’ll need to punch out to get the triggers and spring out. Remove the AV buffers right/left of the trigger assembly. Punch out the long pin from the right side.1000002086.jpg1000002087.jpg

Why no picture of the series no plate?
Anyway it's a great saw, dont rush in take your time and learn the saw as you go. Not everything on the internet is true as you'll find out. Trigger is easy, drift the pins out youll work it out, if you cant give it to someone who will appreciate the saw for what it is, plenty would rip your arm off 🤣👍

Latest posts

Back