Need help picking a new wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fordf150

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I dont burn wood and am lacking on the knowledge to make an informed recommendation to one of my customers. I spend time over here reading but not enough has sunk in. I told her that i would ask on here and get a little advice on which stoves she should be looking at.
Criteria that has to be met:
  1. $1000 budget but we can go over it if the extra money spent is worth it
  2. she is heating a 16x80 house trailer and likes to keep it close to 80* ( she is mid 50's and works outside all day) wood furnace would be ideal but is not possible
  3. she buys all her wood so usually it is only marginally dry wood. the wood she is burning now is over just over 20%. she also doesnt have a wood shed so it is just laying on the ground covered with a tarp. no stacking jsut dumped.
  4. would like something that when loaded full will do an 8-10 hour burn while still putting out decent heat at the end of that 10hrs.
  5. this is also her only heat source and she lives in the sticks so it must be able to function properly without electric
  6. she is not a wood snob and burns anything that gets dumped at her place....maple, poplar, sassafras, and rarely gets the good stuff...hickory and oak
thank you in advance.

Nate

Englander NC13 or Drolet of comparable size- but these will not go 10 hours- Even the Nc30 or similar is not going to make 10 hours on marginal wood- species and moisture content working against her.
16x80 - well it will be warm in the main area but cold back on the ends - although that depends some what on the internal set up, the other thing that comes up is freezing water lines- as they are generally run next to the hot air distribution ducting and she will not be using that. Going to need a lot of heat tapes to keep lines from freezing.

Heated mine for 7 years with woodstove - so above from personal experience.

she is already heating with a cheap stove and has all the major issues covered. Her cheapy $300 stove is only a few years old and is developing some structural issues. No choice but to replace it so i volunteered to gather some information for her so that she would get the best stove for the money. she has already burned 10-12 cord of wood this year and even lowering that number to 8-10 for the whole year would make her a happy camper

I knew i would forget something....wood that i specified was what she has burned this year. she ordered 10 cord to be delivered this spring for next years heating season so moisture content should be better next year. quality of wood is still going to be up in the air.

I have no first hand experience with the nc30, but from what I've researched, it's what your friend is looking for. With "up in the air" moisture content, I doubt you'll want a cat stove. I personally have the lennox canyon st310, which heats 1800sqft nicely, but it was also 2k, with blower & pedestal options.

You must be talking face cord (1/3 of a full cord) beause 10-12 full cord for a house that size is an extremely large amount of wood. You'd have to be heating with the windows open to burn that much... As already stated, efficiencies drop when moisture contents get above 20%. From what I read, the cat stoves have a harder time dealing with higher moisture than the non-cat stoves... Sorry, cant recommend any stoves new in that price range. You should consider going to your local stove store and see what is available. Take a look at the US Stove Comapny, they might have something in that price range, Im just not too sure about the product quality. That is an area that you should consider exploring before you purchase.

it is a true 10-12 full cord....we sold her 8 cord(dump truck is 200 cubic feet thrown in) and she bought the rest from somebody else and she needs more. This morning when she asked about a stove she told us to bring another load of wood. That is how i know the moisture content of what she is burning. As far as i am aware if you want to go look at stoves in person it will be a 1 1/2 hr ride around here. Home depot is over an hour away...that is how she ended up with a cheap stove last time around...just went to the local hardware store and choices were a barrel stove kit and a cheap stove for something like $300. we have a rural king and tractor supply but the only stoves i have seen in there dont even have an air control...its just wide open all the time which i imagine is the way her current stove is.

the 10 cord for next year is coming from us as well and we dont get wood specific. we clear cut and whatever we cut that is above 4-6" goes for firewood the rest goes in the burn piles. when we sell it we load it on the processor and whatever you get you get. All the wood we sold this year was cut to 8ft lengths in January through April and then cut/split right onto the truck this fall and winter. What i checked has varied from 16% all the way to 25% IIRC. So this year we are going to cut in that same time frame and try to get everything split this summer so it will be better wood. Her wood will all be split and delivered by the end of April.

I dont burn wood and am lacking on the knowledge to make an informed recommendation to one of my customers. I spend time over here reading but not enough has sunk in. I told her that i would ask on here and get a little advice on which stoves she should be looking at.
Criteria that has to be met:
  1. $1000 budget but we can go over it if the extra money spent is worth it
  2. she is heating a 16x80 house trailer and likes to keep it close to 80* ( she is mid 50's and works outside all day) wood furnace would be ideal but is not possible
  3. she buys all her wood so usually it is only marginally dry wood. the wood she is burning now is over just over 20%. she also doesnt have a wood shed so it is just laying on the ground covered with a tarp. no stacking jsut dumped.
  4. would like something that when loaded full will do an 8-10 hour burn while still putting out decent heat at the end of that 10hrs.
  5. this is also her only heat source and she lives in the sticks so it must be able to function properly without electric
  6. she is not a wood snob and burns anything that gets dumped at her place....maple, poplar, sassafras, and rarely gets the good stuff...hickory and oak
thank you in advance.

Nate
Find a Tempwood!!! Maybe in the Maine Want Ad! Had one since '77!! Best stove going!! Friends that are still alive all have them!!!

Didnt even think of checking them. We never go up there but that is only an hour drive to the closest one and it is special order but only $1099 for the bigger one. Seems like a doable amount for her.
Nice big fire box and plenty of heat output if you can trust their claims. How will the HT2000 do on burn times with the marginal wood she has? Anyone have any experience

I have a nice Drolet that only saw 2 cords of wood through it before I moved (new place was setup for insert), I'm sure I could ship it Ohio for under that budget and it would certainly be a big upgrade http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...00316353?cm_mmc=Housefile-_-RECD-_-707-_-CONF

If she wants new, there are a few other options on Northern Tool that might work as well.
I will ask what she thinks but im sure if i go talk to her tomorrow and tell her menards HT2000 she will be up there tomorrow ordering it since she can watch the flames where you shouldnt be able to on the current stove

It's going to burn wettish wood pretty much the same as any other tube stove but I wouldn't sweat 20% at all. 4 cuft fire box will have no issues at all with 10 hour burns on mixed hardwood and your definitely going to see less wood used (is this really a priority for you as the wood supplier? lol).

It's going to burn wettish wood pretty much the same as any other tube stove but I wouldn't sweat 20% at all. 4 cuft fire box will have no issues at all with 10 hour burns on mixed hardwood and your definitely going to see less wood used (is this really a priority for you as the wood supplier? lol).
yes less wood is a priority for me. she doesnt have alot of money and i hate seeing her waste it on heat going up the stack. she is a customer at my shop....for firewood...and i would like to help her out as much as possible. also i sell her wood for $50 less a load than anybody else since she has been a customer for so long so i wont be disappointed by losing 3 or 4 loads...someone else will buy it for the normal price

Educate a dummy...what makes a stove mobile home approved

Educate a dummy...what makes a stove mobile home approved
Just a guess but probably has something to do with the shielding around the stove and the minimum clearances to combustables. Does it really matter if she has the proper heat shields and hearth...?

thats why i asked. i am not sure what she has for a hearth and clearances but she has been heating with wood since she moved into this place. the stove sits in a 6x8 "room" that was added on to the living room and it is the only thing in that addition. i would bet the stove she has now is not mobile home approved.

Back