Need help to ID this barn find McCulloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastryguyhawaii

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My neighbor brought this over for me to look at. He rescued it from a barn before it was demolished. He said it ran for a little while. It looks to me like it wasn't run that much. Everything was there. He's not sure what he wants to do with it. I told him someone might be interested in that bar and chain. Can anyone tell me what that little bar sticking out over the bar and chain is?
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Last edited:
It's a Mac 3-25 with a serial number somewhere in the mid-to-late production range around 50000-100000... two-piece fuel tank, later starter, missing the rubber plug cover (which Mac issued a special service bulletin warning people not to run a saw without that plug cover -- engine can overheat), and with a seldom-seen chain guard sticking out over the bar to somewhat protect the operator against backlash from a derailed chain.

Only the 3-25 has a frame (top-handle) which curves around on the left side and enters a hole in the fan shroud with a rubber grommet to hold it in. Neither the 4-30, 4-30A nor 47 have that type of frame.

The model and ID tag should be riveted to the bottom left side of the rear handle. If the metal tag is not there, you'll find the two rivet holes about 2 inches apart where it once was.

People in the woods had a tendency to take the chain guard off and forget it somewhere... Ditto the plug cover, until they found out their saws developed heating problems without that rubber cover. Later, Mac took to riveting the plug cover onto the cylinder shroud. You'll find the hole where it was riveted-on.

Don't break this saw up for parts. It's a whole, complete antique saw made (in this saw's case) between late 1951 and March of 1953. They're not really uncommon (after all, Mac did make over 112000 of them between October 1949 and March 1953), and they don't command a big price on the antique chainsaw market like a Reed-Prentice model 50 or a Homelice 26LCS made during the same era, but the McCulloch model 3-25 is an iconic and under-appreciated collectible chainsaw. It's introduction to the forestry industry revolutionized chainsaw making. This model of chainsaw introduced so many innovative changes to saw-making that I won't even start to list them here. But, one example... Mac put a diaphragm carb in this, his first one-man chainsaw, in 1949, while many chainsaw makers (Reed-Prentice, Titan, Lombard, Homelite, and many, many more) were still putting float-type carbs in their saws even as late as 1957.

Keep it and restore it and be proud of it.

Be very careful when cleaning it with that instructions decal on the diamond-shaped cover on the right side of the oil tank. Very few surviving 3-25's still have that decal.

Or see to it that it gets, undamaged and complete, into the hands of someone who can appreciate it for what it is.

With the model 3-25, Robert Paxton McCulloch stood the chainsaw industry on its ear! And everyone else was years trying to play catch-up to Mac... until he sold the company to Black & Decker in 1973 and the sad story of the decline of McCulloch chainsaws (and American-made chainsaws in general) began...

Last edited:
Mark, send me your mailing address. I've got a NOS 3-25 diaphragm to send you. What the SN on your saw?

Also, pastryguyhawaii, you can see where the ID tag is on Mark's saw. Please post the SN on that Sweet Leilani here also. I'm guessing around 48000-72000...

Notice also that Mark's saw has the earlier wire bail clip holding the cover on the ignition box. Later models had two screws holding that cover on.

Thanks Old Mac Guy and heimannm. I appreciate the info. My neighbor that owns this really doesn't know what to do with it. I told him it probably isn't worth very much but certain people would really appreciate it. I'm becoming more fascinated all the time with vintage saws but I really can't start collecting them. I would spend far too much time working on them when I should be trying to make some money.

Some don't need restored, do the preservation thing, display it with pride. That old McCulloch is like an elderly uncle, it will be content to sit in the shade, tell stories and watch the children play.

Some don't need restored, do the preservation thing, display it with pride. That old McCulloch is like an elderly uncle, it will be content to sit in the shade, tell stories and watch the children play.

That's true. I admire the restorations I see here but I like to leave things in their original state. It looks like it would clean up nicely. I would have to have it running. A non-running saw would drive me nuts.

Jeeze Jeff, that is a nice looking old McCulloch. I bought one like it once for $10., ended up giving it away to my brother. He again sold it for the same amount. That was back in 79 , I would most likely make room here for one if I ever come across another.

Pioneerguy600

Watch out or the fever will get ya.... Mine started with a Homelite 26LCS. Everyday night I was up a few more hours messing with the beast. Before I knew it I was up all night and had five more old saws under the work bench.

Jeeze Jeff, that is a nice looking old McCulloch. I bought one like it once for $10., ended up giving it away to my brother. He again sold it for the same amount. That was back in 79 , I would most likely make room here for one if I ever come across another.

Pioneerguy600

If I end up with this one I may just send it to you.

Latest posts

Back