Need help with a PRO MAC 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinivanFan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a PRO MAC 610 that I am trying to fix for somebody. When I try to start it there isn't much comperesion and the engine just spins a few times. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? I don't want to take it apart or anything since it doesn't belong to me.

I would pull the muffler and see what the piston and cylinder look like before you do much else, especially if you think the compression is low. It sounds like it could be fried.

Gonna be hellish hard to fix if ya can't take it apart.:spam:

I would pull the muffler and see what the piston and cylinder look like before you do much else, especially if you think the compression is low. It sounds like it could be fried.

attachment.php

Post a pic of the rings. They're probably stuck to the piston with smeered alum. I've unstuck rings with good sucess. If you're interested PM me.

Regards

Dan

The top ring is free but the bottom one is a little stuck but not like locked soild.
attachment.php

Last edited:

If you can find the parts at the right price maybe. There are lots of those saws on ebay if you could find a parts saw. Look for 605's, 650's Timber Bears and there are a couple of other models that are basically the same thing. If it were mine I would take it apart and see if the jug will clean up, and then try to find a piston.
Before you do too much I would also check the spark and see if the oiler works. 610 oilers tend to go bad a lot. Take the bar and chain off and push the manual oiler button and see if it pumps any oil out above the bar studs.
The other thing to keep in mind is a nice running 610 with a good bar and chain might only bring $150 or $200 or less. If your friend decides to throw it away let me know.:greenchainsaw:

These saws run if they run, and don't if they don't. They seem to suck up time and not give alot back. I've put several back together, and used a pair of them to help heat the house, and thank God those days are over. They are the only Mac I'd own after about 1985 though. People love 'em or hate 'em it seems.

I have a nice 610 I'd like to sell that I broke the starter/recoil band on
and don't know how to put it back together. $50?

Back