Need Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadewestfall@ve

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, everyone, new to this so please bear with me. I bought an 026 for my home use as I don't cut a lot of wood. My property is heavily wooded so I decided to buy this lightweight saw. It came with an 18'' bar and 325 pitch chain. Now I would like to put a 3/8-.050 chain on it. Could someone tell me how I can do this? Thanks, stihl dumb. Not sure if I need to change spur gear and bar or what.

Last edited:
Big Woody said:
You will need to change the sprocket, bar and of course the chain.
Thanks Woody, I thought they all had to match up but wasn't quite sure. Havent torn into it yet. Is there anyone on this site that sells what I need?

why do you want to put 3/8 on this saw? Change the sprocket and work on your filing, it will cut smoother with the .325. (only my opinion)

Hey elmnut, no special reason, just have a couple of new chains that are .050 3/8 that my father had given me he had extra for his old 031AV.

My dad's old 031 is from the "old school" if you know what I mean, all metal and 031 AV is cast in the housing. One hell of a great saw, though a bit on the heavy side. Never had a single problem from it though. By the way Elmnut my filing could sure use some work, maybe now would be a good time to start.

Last edited:
Watch your angles, and keep the same number of strokes on each chisel. Don't be afraid to use a guide while learning, and remember the depth gauges need to be about 25 thousanths below your chisel.(.025)

Latest posts

Back