need new engine for log splitter--help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood181

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok...........I just blew up my 5hp Briggs and Stratton on my Duerr 20 ton splitter..........long story short is that I split for 2 hours last night just fine, started it up this am to do some more splitting and after about 5 min she seized up, looks like it was low on oil, I should have checked it but got in a hurry.........Dad always told me to check the oil every single time on small engines, this time I happened not to, dang it anyways............ :bang:

SO! I need a rebuild or a new engine ASAP! lol

:bang:

It is a Model 130232 and type is 1536 01, with a code of 85091007 on it. it is an older non overhead cam type engine.

1. Better to rebuild or replace? if rebuild how much $$ to expect to spend?

2. If replace, then what are my options (briggs/honda...?) and whats a good deal $$ wise on a new engine.

Thanks all, hope to hear from you.

Time to knock a tree down and haul some wood home.

Thanks,

WOOD181 a.k.a. just "WOOD"

as much as i hate to say it..
same thing happened to mine 2 years ago, i put a 6.5 horse honda clone from harbor freight on it..... for a hundred bucks !!
thing starts and runs great everytime, and just sips the fuel compared to the briggs,,
only thing i had to change was the american threaded bolts to metric, i think they were 8mm..
and redrill the base plate mounting holes.........easy peasy..

I'm thinking a new engine would be quuicker to get me going, and I canr imagine a rebuild being much cheaper......

Whats the brand name of the clone? I have heard decent things about these.

Try Small Engine Warehouse out of Indiana. They should have something that will fill the bill for you. Just google the name.

I'm thinking a new engine would be quuicker to get me going, and I canr imagine a rebuild being much cheaper......

Whats the brand name of the clone? I have heard decent things about these.

check their website,
i just looked, they have a 7hp horizontal shaft motor on sale for $ 119.00, you'd never rebuild whatcha have for that..
if i recall i had to spin the pullstart 1/3rd of a turn also..

FWIW, make sure it has the appropriate mounting holes for your pump adapter. Other things like shaft length and diameter also enter into the picture.

mac88 is right,
i don't remember if i had to cut down the shaft on mine or not..
i think it was the used briggs (i had to cut) i put on for a year after my brother borrowed it, ran without oil, i got it back, ran for 20 minutes, and it blew up..
either way, i used a cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder and a wet rag next to the case..

add oil, break loose with wrench on flywheel nut. work it both ways. sometimes they will break loose and start right up. worth a try. it has worked for me and the tractor ran for a couple more years.

A used 5 1/2 hp briggs from a water pump does the job for me and it has a low oil/ no start feature. it's made me shake my head a few times when it wouldn't start but if you check the oil more often you see that it needed oil.

I've got one of those motors on my conveyor that did the same thing on Wednesday...

Break it loose with a pipe wrench, and add oil. Run it for a minute or two, then drain all the oil out. Then fill it back up and run it for 20 minutes or so and change the oil again.

I have put 9 hours on mine since I locked it up last week and freed it this way and it hasn't missed a beat since. It runs WOT constantly to run the conveyor fast enough, too.

when i blew mine this early spring i went to a briggs 900 inteck series... from fleet farm for 269.00 bolted right up with no problems!if i remember right mines a 93 model duerr 20 ton and it had the 5hrs briggs that lasted its life time of over 1000 cords in 18 plus years averaging 50 cords a year... View attachment 258247

cool!

I get back from hauling in some rounds in and I have options! I'll try busting it loose, crossing my fingers because I dont have that much more to split for this winter.

The more it cooled down the harder it was to pull, until it finally locked up, hoping I can bust it loose tomorrow.

I made some phone calls too, and it looks like Briggs has a direct replacement 122032 type 0536B8. If I can't bust it loose I'll probably order one of these up.

Thanks for your ideas,

Wood

I've got one of those motors on my conveyor that did the same thing on Wednesday...

Break it loose with a pipe wrench, and add oil. Run it for a minute or two, then drain all the oil out. Then fill it back up and run it for 20 minutes or so and change the oil again.

Throwing this out there...would it help him to take the plug out and pour some Marvel Mystery or ATF down the spark plug hole and let it sit a couple days before trying to wrench it? (Put the plug back in to cap it, remove before wrenching!)

I'm no mechanic, but I know they do such stuff on antique tractors quite often when they're trying to get a tractor going that's stuck from sitting around.

cool!

I get back from hauling in some rounds in and I have options! I'll try busting it loose, crossing my fingers because I dont have that much more to split for this winter.

The more it cooled down the harder it was to pull, until it finally locked up, hoping I can bust it loose tomorrow.

I made some phone calls too, and it looks like Briggs has a direct replacement 122032 type 0536B8. If I can't bust it loose I'll probably order one of these up.

Thanks for your ideas,

Wood

I push to buy American made all the time. Unfortunatly, as bad as I hate to say it, I don't believe there are any small engine manufacturers left in the U.S.A. I know that Briggs is made in China now, as well as Honda (who I don't think was ever made here). If you're going to have to buy Chinese, you might as well save a few bucks and buy the cheap Chinese engine for $100 or so.

Andy

Bought the harbor freight 11 horse . The old briggs ran good yet ,just wasn't big enough for the new 16 gallon pump , This set up seems lot faster less noise an burns about half the fuel . Should have done this years ago

Throwing this out there...would it help him to take the plug out and pour some Marvel Mystery or ATF down the spark plug hole and let it sit a couple days before trying to wrench it? (Put the plug back in to cap it, remove before wrenching!)

I'm no mechanic, but I know they do such stuff on antique tractors quite often when they're trying to get a tractor going that's stuck from sitting around.

I agree!

I think it would be best to oil it with something first.

I agree!

I think it would be best to oil it with something first.

i agree-a little marvel or pb blaster in the sparkplug hole before you try to move it could help you-have to let it sit for a day though--if the lub will get down the wall by the piston ring , you should be able to start it-hopefully the wall wont be scored to bad----good luck---keep us updated:angry:

cool!

Thanks for your ideas,

Wood
this is the same product numbers that i have used with good operating results right out of the box!!

Back