Need opinions ... Keep my 036 pro or new 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Allright all you stihl-oligists , ive read every post i could fish up to try and make a decision on getting a new saw namly a 362 to replace the old faithfull 036 pro.
theres nothing wrong with it and its got a little over a year on a fresh rebuild with mild porting and muff mods ......BUTcad is showing is ugly face ...

do they make a chainsaw patch to help wheen me off the chainsaw addiction????

Keep it and look for a smaller saw. Might be able to pick up a 50cc Stihl or Husky that needs some work if you enjoy fixxing them up.

i got bigger and smaller , the 036 is the goto all around saw that i use the most ,,,
if i put a 20" bar on the 066 then i have to use both hands on the saw and i'd have to put down the beer... (kidding)

i got bigger and smaller , the 036 is the goto all around saw that i use the most ,,,
if i put a 20" bar on the 066 then i have to use both hands on the saw and i'd have to put down the beer... (kidding)

Dont sell that 036! If you must, sell it to me! I think a MS362 would make you a fine addition, but wait until you can have both. Those 036's are great saws, should have kept mine.

If this is a CAD-driven question, I'll give you a CAD-driven answer. I agree with above. You need to keep the 036 and get another not similar saw to work on next. Don't buy new if you're just gonna CAD the hell out of it too. You'll just void a warranty so don't waste the money on one! :)

If the 036 pro is getting quite a bit of time on it I wouldn't hesitate to get a 362, night and day differences in the saw. The 362 is much smoother to run, due to spring suspension, quite a bit more power after it is broke in, better air filtration, will use less fuel. I'm an old fart been running them 35 years, I'm sold on these strato models. It takes 15-20 tanks to get them broke in, performing at their peak, but it will have a noticeable increase in power over a 036 pro. The 361 was a big improvement over the 036 and like wise with the 362 over the 361. I've kept my 028,032,038's for nostalgia's sake, they've become shelf queens even the 044's, they should be replaced with 441 m-tronics (got one coming). The 036 pro was and is a great saw, if you liked it you'll love the 362, literally improved in every department.

I'd keep the 036pro and get a 460 I had an 036 non pro model and wished I'd have kept it and fixed it when it died on me tried the 362 just doesn't feel right to me. If you are looking for a CAD purchase try one of the Husky 362s if you can find one or one of the new 562s when they arrive.

Only lack of funds can contain CAD. If that antidope is not available then keep the 036 and buy its newest version. Personally, I like redunancy in the saws I use. BTW I love my 036Pro and wish I had two. Ron

Decision Time

I have looked with little success for a primo 036Pro as a backup to the one I have. I ran across an almost new 362 today with a 25" bar with an asking price of $450. Do I keep looking for an 036Pro or grab this one. Don't waste your or my time commenting on the bar length as I am well acquainted with the advantages and disadvantages of a 25" bar on a 60cc saw. To the extent it makes any difference in your opinion, my 036Pro is the only saw that I loan to others - it's backup will have similiar duties. I think I know where indiansprings stands but I welcome his comments as well. Thanks, Ron

If the 036 pro is getting quite a bit of time on it I wouldn't hesitate to get a 362, night and day differences in the saw. The 362 is much smoother to run, due to spring suspension, quite a bit more power after it is broke in, better air filtration, will use less fuel. I'm an old fart been running them 35 years, I'm sold on these strato models. It takes 15-20 tanks to get them broke in, performing at their peak, but it will have a noticeable increase in power over a 036 pro. The 361 was a big improvement over the 036 and like wise with the 362 over the 361. I've kept my 028,032,038's for nostalgia's sake, they've become shelf queens even the 044's, they should be replaced with 441 m-tronics (got one coming). The 036 pro was and is a great saw, if you liked it you'll love the 362, literally improved in every department.

I differ totally with IS. I own both and I don't think there is a difference in power, but there is almost a 1lb in weight. The 362 is smoother, but it definitely doesn't handle as well.

Back