Need soil/lawn help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am dealing with a new lawn that was Hydro Seeded (weeded!) before we bought the place.

The soil is a clay sand soil. I am sending samples out soon to have testing performed.

I have seeded 2, once a month ago and then today. I put down a starer fertilizer a month ago also. I will b applying quick lime this weekend.

Anything further I can do now?

What if anything should I do to the soil for the trees/plants I will be planting in the next 2 weeks or so? I plan on most likely a Magnolia or a Kousa and some Hydrangeas.

You may need to amend with some good dark topsoil. It sounds like a new contruction where cheap fill was used. A few yards of good soil and a rototiller will get you where you need to be.

all the fert and lime in the world ain't gonna help if the soil base is junk.

I need a nice lawn for a wedding shower being hld in my backyard JULY 1st! Is there a way to spread light coats of top soil into the lawn wothout hindering what I already have? I am uneay about tilling the whole thing under and starting fresh at this point.

I know this sounds soooo HOMO-wner but is possible to spread loom with a spreader every 3 months until the top soil is acceptable? :yoyo:

I think most grasses will germinate within a few weeks especially now that the days/nights are gettin warmer. (I studied turf in college but now my brain is filled with things like glymnocladious dioecious and phytophtera, and other fun latin words that I can't spell). If it makes you feel better, spread a thin layer of topsoil and seed it again. After the lawn comes in, core aerate it and topdress with topsoil and seed again. You have plenty of time, just get it done this week. Last week would have been perfect with all the rain we had.............

So pretty much give it two more weeks of watering/mowing/growing then spread 1/2" of "superloom" top soil and seed again?

Then wait........a month? And core aerate?

So pretty much give it two more weeks of watering/mowing/growing then spread 1/2" of "superloom" top soil and seed again?

Then wait........a month? And core aerate?

nope. spread the topsoil last week, re seed, wait untill you have to cut it at least twice then aerate and repeat.

I will order the loom this week, spread it ASAP, heavy seed, and then wait.

Should I lime and fertilize at this time too?

RB some of us who know trees, know landscapes and turf too.:cheers:

I know that. But there are probably more lawn pros over there. Some of those guys know trees too, but I get my tree care advice here.

I feel it isnt neccasary to go sign up at a new forum, that I have known about for years, and make ONE post. I do appreciate the advice on doing so though. I know the guys here know enough to get me by. Look at how much DonnyO has alrady told me about lawncare tips, and hes an old tree geek like the rest of us!

i used to own a couple of lawn?landscape services.

what i found is.....the more pelletized lyme the better.i agree on the better topsoil.clay sucks.

try mixing in annual rye to get you some green before the fescue comes in.with good watering daily,you'll have green grass in a couple of weeks.the rye will die in the winter.

good luck!

what i found is.....the more pelletized lyme the better.i agree on the better topsoil.clay sucks.

try mixing in annual rye to get you some green before the fescue comes in.with good watering daily,you'll have green grass in a couple of weeks.the rye will die in the winter.

good luck!

Thats my other puzzle.

I read everywhere water infrequently and heavy. Am I wrong in saying I need to water everyday for the first 2-3 weeks becasue of the new seed?

After looking at the $$$$ situation I may have to lean on mother nature here and spread the loom in the fall.

The soil is more sand than clay also. I would say a 75% sand and 25% clay or even more sand.

When is it OK to fertilize? 1 month 2 months after this?

good call on the seed choice hornett.

Bull, wait on the fert untill after a mowing or two. A good trick for watering is to put an empty tuna can on the lawn. When the can is full, turn off the sprinkler.

Hey rb my degree is in turfgrass management (yes, there is actually a degree in turfgrass management from Umass and others). I am a treeguy now but As my friend Eric once said, "you should see him climb a blade of grass":laugh:

I am dealing with a new lawn that was Hydro Seeded (weeded!) before we bought the place.

The soil is a clay sand soil. I am sending samples out soon to have testing performed.

I have seeded 2, once a month ago and then today. I put down a starer fertilizer a month ago also. I will b applying quick lime this weekend.

Anything further I can do now?

What if anything should I do to the soil for the trees/plants I will be planting in the next 2 weeks or so? I plan on most likely a Magnolia or a Kousa and some Hydrangeas.

You can also topdress with compost. I do it every year.

I also have sandy soil, and find I need to fertilize twice in the spring, once during the summer and twice again in the fall.

If you are looking for a quick green-up, throw in some annual or even perrenial ryegrass, straight. Some dont like the blade type of rye, but I do.

As for the trees...throw some 12-12-12 into the hole before planting. Not to much or youll burn the new feeder roots. With a sandy soil youll want to keep up on the water. Look for a "Gator Bag." or take a 5 gallon bucket and drill a couple holes in the bottom, fill it up and set it near the trunk. You want the soil around the rootball to almost dry between waterings.

Hey rb my degree is in turfgrass management (yes, there is actually a degree in turfgrass management from Umass and others). I am a treeguy now but As my friend Eric once said, "you should see him climb a blade of grass":laugh:

DonnyO,
I have no doubt that you and others here are qualified to help BB with his lawn care issues. But the fact is there are less lawn care pros here than at LS. And if you live in a different region than him there are other considerations too. And do you remember his mower question? My point is that if you are the new owner of a patch of grass you will have a series of questions. And not just grass questions. They handle landscaping, landscape lighting, etc. I have posted over there countless times about landscape help, mower repair, lawn care, etc. When I posted about landscape help here I got not much input. When posted over there I got several replies. Like I said before, I know there are some folks here that can help but there are likely to be more at lawnsite.:D

good tip on the compost,Casey.I recently (12 days ago) aerated,reseeded my lawn.After seeding, I top dressed with about 3/4 inch of compost.For seed I used a mix of annual rye for quick germination and perennial rye.the annual rye is already up to about an inch.As for fertilizer,like was said here earlier,I'll wait until the lawn is mowed at least twice to avoid burning the new grass.

Thanks for the help guys!

I reseeded, limed, and watered.

One more question......shoukld I water everyday for two weeks or so wjhile the grass is germinating or just every few days like normal?

Back