Need Some Beta on this Chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defensiblespace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
morbark turbo diesel chipper
I'm thinking of buying this chipper, but need some info from people that have experience with it. It is a Morbark 2400xl. The owner thinks the year is between 2002 and 2004. It has a cummins 3.9 engine, which according to my research appears to be about a 110 hp engine. This could be underpowered for this machine, but possibly not considering what I need to use it for. I am looking for a high production chipper since I have a Ditch Witch SK650 with Branch Manager grapple. I want a chipper I can feed directly with the grapple and not have to hand feed. I live and work high in the Sierras, so I will be chipping all fir and pine as well as loads of brush like manzanita and snowbrush. We don't have any hardwoods up here with the exception of poplars, which are fairly soft.
The price seems right at 13k. The owner is not sure how many hours it has since the meter broke. Also, I unfortunately live almost 500 miles away, so I am unable to go for a drive and check it out. I will most likely have him take it to a mechanic who can verify it runs well and will then have it shipped here. I welcome any advice that you may have including ideas about the chipper itself or buying equipment long distance. Thank you.

Shaun,
I think the word "beta" is the old school rock climber and skier coming out in me. Not sure it ever really dawned on me that the rest of the world may not use that term. As for the Air Resource Board, I'm taking my chances that those guys don't have the the funding to be driving around in the the sticks looking for guys like me. If I were in Sac, The Bay or LA, I sure wouldn't press my luck though. But this being my first chipper and the business here being seasonal 6 months out of the year due to snow, I don't have the money to drop on a fancy new chipper that is CARB compliant.

I've been selling Morbark's for years. The engine should be 116hp Cummins. You can get the serial number off of the side of the tongue and call the Morbark factory at 800-255-8839 and verify the year. By the looks of it, it seems to be an early 2000 model.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters

DS, have you looked at "California Tree Equipment" Matt Bauer is owner 415-663-8013
he has a few chippers for sale...check out his web site

that chipper you looking at seems sketchy, hour meter not working is not a good sign,
could be a bucket of worms....get one thats CARB compliant, remember, you have to register it...just saying

Last edited:
Depends on what you expect it to do? A 250hp model 2400xl will auto feed quite a few times on an 18 inch piece, around 100hp and 18 inch wood i don't think it would do pine very well. 12 inch stuff should be fine if the auto feed isn't functioning you'll still have to work the bar. They make a few different versions of the 2400 they where all pretty heavy duty machines, I think they have the most beefed up frames and components of any other but thats just my opinion.

If it runs and functions properly and isn't pouring white smoke or you can hear bearings for 13g's you will probably do alright. Because you just cant get to much in that size of a chipper for 13g's anymore if you went down to a smaller chipper you could probably get a lot newer. The only problem we have with our morbark is the drum pulling material threw that the feed roller's cant hold back and it stalls the machine, usually on like 6 inch silver maple or other smooth bark stuff. Dealer has no fix for this its just a the way the rollers open on an arch bandit has a better design here with there straight box setup.

Depends on what you expect it to do? A 250hp model 2400xl will auto feed quite a few times on an 18 inch piece, around 100hp and 18 inch wood i don't think it would do pine very well. 12 inch stuff should be fine if the auto feed isn't functioning you'll still have to work the bar. They make a few different versions of the 2400 they where all pretty heavy duty machines, I think they have the most beefed up frames and components of any other but thats just my opinion.

If it runs and functions properly and isn't pouring white smoke or you can hear bearings for 13g's you will probably do alright. Because you just cant get to much in that size of a chipper for 13g's anymore if you went down to a smaller chipper you could probably get a lot newer. The only problem we have with our morbark is the drum pulling material threw that the feed roller's cant hold back and it stalls the machine, usually on like 6 inch silver maple or other smooth bark stuff. Dealer has no fix for this its just a the way the rollers open on an arch bandit has a better design here with there straight box setup.

Oh Matt,
You don't understand California.
They actually realize, (like we don't), you will be out there and they hear you from a million miles!
Other than that, good luck.
Jeff

Oh Matt,
You don't understand California.
They actually realize, (like we don't), you will be out there and they hear you from a million miles!
Other than that, good luck.
Jeff

Don't even want to understand it just trying to give him insight on if the chipper will meet or exceed his expectations. California is like its own world with everything, I would be doing what your doing and working for someone. I wouldn't want to deal with all that emissions bs you guys have. I really don't think they are even close to fair to people it's criminal, buy a chipper get it paid off now you need a new one because they say so? Our government helping business I guess.

If he lives there he should know the rules.

thats a decent chipper
horizontal feed wheels arent the best for feeding with a grapple tho

What chipper can you feed with a grapple that does not have horizontal?

Bandit, morbark, woodsman, dynamic, they are all horizontal. The theory is gravity spreads the material, allowing you to run more threw at once.

What chipper can you feed with a grapple that does not have horizontal?

Bandit, morbark, woodsman, dynamic, they are all horizontal. The theory is gravity spreads the material, allowing you to run more threw at once.

theories are wonderful
vertical feed wheels open both directions and are generally larger diameter, making them easier to feed with a mini and grapple
im not saying it cant be done and im not a huge vermeer fan, but thats my 2 cents
and a good deal is a good deal
tho i question that chipper, needs a good inspection if the hour meter is broke

Painted then white... thats about all I have noticed so far. Just got our new 790. (Ordered it yellow but their standard color is now white)

theories are wonderful
vertical feed wheels open both directions and are generally larger diameter, making them easier to feed with a mini and grapple
im not saying it cant be done and im not a huge vermeer fan, but thats my 2 cents
and a good deal is a good deal
tho i question that chipper, needs a good inspection if the hour meter is broke

Well not a theory then if nine out of ten manufactures are using horizontal. If vertical was the way to go the engineers at bandit, morbark, dynamic, altec, salsco, and woodsman must be wrong. Side to side pressure is what flips machines, I guess if your feeding short pieces it would be no big deal.

Painted then white... thats about all I have noticed so far. Just got our new 790. (Ordered it yellow but their standard color is now white)

Wow. I have to eat my words on that one. Just spent somebody time looking over the new 790 L. Very nice much better fit and finish. I will see if I can break it tomorrow . I have to say every unit has been much better then the last one we bought.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...9.277283385445&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Last edited:
easy on vermeer. I got issues with vertical rollers but in my area i can't beat the service. The 2100 with the horizontal rollers is pretty bad ass. It just keeps the spectators in awe. We bought the first one in our part of the country and still get warranty work. I noticed a few improvments on it that I personally told the egineers could be done with out harming their safety features but have'nt even got a thank you. still got six of them yellow machines and don't plan on changing. morbark left a bad taste because of the dealer in the area. I know the last one we ran was a 2400 with 175 hp and seemed a little weak

Latest posts

Back