Need some help on my new to me MS260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just picked it up last night and the guy said it had been sitting 6 months so I didn't want to run it with the old gas so just got it fired up tonight. It starts fine and starts to idle fine but then it starts slowing down rather quickly and then dies.

I don't have time to dig into it tonight but wanted to see what to check tomorrow.

Thanks.

After resetting the carb back to specs, I'd check the fuel line and filter. That old mix could have ate them up already.

Is it quitting at idle or while your revving it? If it will run at higher speeds I would try doing some cutting with it for a while and maybe it will clean the crud out of the fuel system and carb.

Clean carb, check the position of the screws -- idles for a little bit, then loads up and dies sounds like too rich in the "L" circuit to me.

Actually, it has 1 turn stamped right on the filter cover. :laugh:

BUT, the slot above both the H and L are blocked off and there is only 1 screw showing and it is between the H and the L. ???

Lol, yea. They areterrible to do anything with IMO. I'm going to swap my carb out for the one that has the adjustible H. 60 bucks new on Ebay. Then you can mod the muffler. No modding can be done on that saw until it's changed.:blob2:

Observations from other threads I have read:

1. You can swap out for a larger H (main) jet. ~$5
  2. You can drill out your main jet. I think the stock is 0.054 (?)
  3. Supposedly, the stock is pretty rich; you may be able to get away with a muffler mod with it.
  4. I am getting a used WT-194 fully adjustable carb from member/sponsor bcorradi for quite a bit less than the ebay price... :spam:

Observations from other threads I have read:

1. You can swap out for a larger H (main) jet. ~$5
  2. You can drill out your main jet. I think the stock is 0.054 (?)
  3. Supposedly, the stock is pretty rich; you may be able to get away with a muffler mod with it.
  4. I am getting a used WT-194 fully adjustable carb from member/sponsor bcorradi for quite a bit less than the ebay price... :spam:

That is your ticket my friend! ;)

It is quitting at idle. It is a little balky when pulling the trigger but seemed to get to WOT OK.

Before you go doing anything really drastic like getting a new carb, this sounds like a lean condition on the low speed. You said your saw hesitated when throttled up and didn't idle for long. That is a classic low speed lean symptom. I would open the low speed jet a bit. The saw may idle and accelerate correctly with this simple adjustment. You will probably have to adjust the LA screw as well.

Bob

Latest posts

Back