Need some help on tuning issue.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axlr8

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Have an fs44 here that is giving me fits.. it seems as if it's flooding out at any throttle pos. New carb kit, New fuel lines, New plug, and New air filter.

Needles started at specs and then we're brought in to try and lean it up. No luck. I can pull plug and see its soaked in fuel. Apparently I'm missing something. Carb has been apart 5 or 6 times and I'm ready to rule it as a bad carb. It'd be great to get the thing going and off to its owner.

In case it matters, its an Oregon carb kit.

the only thing that can make a carb pig rich like that is the metering lever being set to high or the hook of the diaprhagm not being hooked to the lever which is unlikely cause i don't thing a trimmer would be like that but i may be wrong. another possibility is the carb is pulling unmetred fuel from somewhere. a common mistake is a guy setting a metering lever level with the carb body when some should be set level with the dish in the chamber. if those 2 things don't fix it and the needles are leaned out enough you could very well have a bad carb. i am not very familiar with the fs44 but all position carbs are much the same.

See I had my carb tools all pulled out and checked over everything. Meter height is good, seat and needle are sealing, I sealed the welchs with some clear nail polish to be sure, screens are clean, diaphprams are in correct, gaskets are good.. I am going to order a Chinese carb and give that a shot.. for 12 bucks.. I'm not at a loss

if you got it all right it very well could be the carb. not many carbs i can't save but this might be one of the few that just can't.

Ill play with it for an hour or so tomorrow.. if not, Hong Kong carb is being put on in a week

Atleast I can sleep knowing I covered most of the bases.. I tend to overcomplicate stuff..

Yep, spark, compression, holds pressure. You can tell its carb issue in this case due to how much fuel is in crank case, its soaking the cylinder.

Any chance the fuel tank could be building pressure somehow? Unlikely because it sounds like it happens all the time, but maybe crack open the fuel cap when it's acting up just to eliminate another possibility

Have you pressure tested the needle and seat?

I've run through a carb and had more "scooby's work their way in because I didn't flush the tank/line and filter well enough.

I cracked cap and didn't hear any noticeable hissing or sucking. Not thinking it's a fuel pressure issue, but it sure could be.

I haven't tested the pop off or seal of the needle/seat yet, have to get my mityvac out.

Have an fs44 here that is giving me fits.. it seems as if it's flooding out at any throttle pos. New carb kit, New fuel lines, New plug, and New air filter.

Needles started at specs and then we're brought in to try and lean it up. No luck. I can pull plug and see its soaked in fuel. Apparently I'm missing something. Carb has been apart 5 or 6 times and I'm ready to rule it as a bad carb. It'd be great to get the thing going and off to its owner.

In case it matters, its an Oregon carb kit.
Did you pressure test the carb to see if the needle is holding?

Latest posts

Back