need some help taking saw apart.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flea

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so I'm headed out to do a little recreational cutting with the ole 038 mag II. start it up life is good. hit the throttle for that first cut and she runs up real nice. (as always) But I miss my spot so release the trigger, re aim and hit the trigger again. this time the trigger is frozen solid, cant squeeze it at all. still idling fine. shut the saw off set her on the dining room table an hour before dinner, love you babe lol. and pull the carb. the butterfly valve is free, no undue resistance after the throttle pushrod is disconnected. ok so try the trigger. nope nothing, still froze/stuck. so the question is how do i gain access to the trigger and the pushrod assembly?? I'm sure its just a piece of crap lodged in there but how do i get at it. I do have a four pound hammer but that seems like fun and so must certainly be the wrong thing to use.

I've always wanted to use this..lol

Don't hit ANYTHING with a hammer!!!!:greenchainsaw: I've never had the throttle apart on a 038, but I know...don't hit it with a hammer at all.....:chainsaw: :greenchainsaw: :) :buttkick:

ok so theres a shiny round piece of metal under the handle area, has a slot looking thing in it. an instinct in me says my scrench might just fit in there. But I'm scared should i try turning it???

LMAO @ myself. I turn the saw on its side, on aforementioned dining room table to get at said shiny thing, only to realize that I have the Carb out. fuel line there fore not hooked up. Guess what happened.

Last edited:
It seems that the safety trigger on the top of the handle is FUBAR. when I put it in correctly?? it won't allow the trigger to be pressed. but when I leave it out of the assemble it works fine. needless to say i want it in there, it just seems that it isnt lining up properly with something. but this aint rocket science here there are only two plastic parts and one spring.

Any one got Niel Armstrong's number

screw...right thats the shiny thing.

Ok so i got the screw loose......nah theres nothing there, but like i said, the safety trigger on top of the handle doesn't seem to line up with the main trigger. the trigger pulls fine with out the safety one but with it it doesn't move. the return spring did send things into orbit so im not too sure what its all supposed to look like

well I found it. a piece O' crap jammed under the trigger. Thats what I thought it was to start with. But when I did get it apart the piece O' crap in question was not visible. So I fell back on the ol' "if at first you don't succeed, take something else apart" method. and after disassembling the entire saw (exaggeration) I found a little piece of what looked like cheap costume jewelery . removed it, reassembled, saw runs yet again.

poked a hole in my thumb on the safety trigger return spring.

Got yelled at for getting mix on the new table cloth.

Missed out on any quality time with a saw and spruce tree.

But its fixed and I'm happy.

Latest posts

Back