Need some tractor knowledge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how i have gotten by for the last 30 yrs. MF35 gas was the tractor i grew up with. 5ft brush hog, 1 bottom plow, 7'disc, 7' sickle bar, square baler, and skidded countless logs out to keep my aunts house warm. my grandpa bought that tractor in the 60's and we used it up until 2001 or so. bought my new holland TC40 in 01 or 02. currently pulling a 9ft haybine but for a few years i drug around a 12ft haybine, 3 bottom plow on broken ground or a 2 bottom on virgin. 6 ft brush hog. 4x4 round baler. It is 4wd

AS 035.jpg there is the size loads of logs that my 40hp(35PTO hp) tractor pulls out every weekend and we dont have flat ground. It takes a 4wd pickup to go anywhere other that our driveway.

10516678_311845782328297_6442568077570058965_n.jpg
only picture i have on my computer that shows the hills.

10246398_278406185672257_3599325057642608562_n.jpg
there is my sisters cabin that gives you an idea of what 75% of our property is like. cabin is 12ft wide and the downhill side is 3ft off the ground.

Attachments

• purple.jpg
    purple.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 9
I own a 135 and an example is a disc mower, here I live its quite hard to find used equipment that is happy on a 135. And all 2WD tractors have problems on steep roads and fields.

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

One thing to make sure of. You mentioned skidding logs. Many an old farmer died skidding things. Going forward, if you hang up the load, the pivot point is the rear axle and half a turn of the rear tire and you are upside down. It happens so fast you couldn't start to push the clutch and brake in fast enough. Roll over protection will help, but having your head and back smash into the front of that log hurts. FEL is the way to go. I had a 42 HP diesel JD 2010, should never have let it go. Now all I have is one of those parade tractors made by Ford. Mine is a 641 which is a 31 HP over head valve version of the Ford N series. Had a chance to buy a real nice JD 2010 at an auction a couple years ago and passed on it because it was gas, Yes I'm not very bright some times. A friend has a JD 4020 and that is one nice tractor. I think 4X4 makes a big difference on compacts, but on stuff the size of the 2010 and bigger I was happy with 2 wheel drive, Joe.
A good part of what you write is valid.However if you back the tractor up to the end of the log as close as possible,lower the 3 point drawbar to just above the log and using a clevis hook and chain, hookup,raise the drawbar so that the end of the log is a few inches off the ground you won't have a problem.I've been doing it this way for years.This does 3 things-1)it just about eliminates the back flips,2)keeps the log out of the mud and 3)puts weight on the back wheels.

There is about a 10 HP difference between a MF 35 and a MF 135. I fully under stand the reason for a 50HP tractor and I applude the man to relize that bigger is always better to have when you need it, and smaller there is nothing you can do when You need bigger.
Skidding logs with out a 3 PT hitch is easy also and no more backflipping doing it that way than with the 3 pt hook up.

Not to mention a 7 foot snowblower in wet heavy deep snow sucks a bunch of power.

:D Al

I use a logging winch on my 135, if logging are a big use that is a wonderful tool.

76f59fc969f7b4911f008e48196e9452.jpg

Sent fra min Nexus 5 via Tapatalk

I am considering selling my tractor that may be perfect for you. Send a private message if you want to discuss. Best wishes.

Back