Need Suggestions on a new Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly couldnt tell you if they push it backwards or not, but it just seems strange since the air is always trying to move the other way through your saw. And the air would take the fuel/oil with it. But then again, Im a newbie compared to the other guys here that can rebuild a saw over their lunch hour.

You said you had pulled your muffler and cleaned out the spark screen? (If you had one that is)

The fact that something happened when you lent it out could be part of the issue too. Is the little flapper thats inside the filter seating properly? It could be thats not connected to the choke lever, and thats why your choke doesnt work. If he tried to clean it for you when he borrowed it and something got put back together wrong, that could do it.

If you have the means to take a photo, that might help everyone figure out if your lever is busted, and if you need a new one.

Otherwise, I would say it might not be a bad idea to get a new air filter and a sharp chain. If you check out Bailey's, they have some good deals.

I've had an oil-plugged exhaust screen that would make a saw hard to start, low power and 'poof' a bit back in the filter when starting. The rings were worn too and compression was low-ish at around 130 instead of 155.

The problem seemed to all stem from dull chains. It left running good, with 2 fresh chains, a gallon of 32:1 premix, 4 ounces of mix oil, 2 quarts of bar oil, and instructions to bring it back if it stoppd cutting good or had any trouble. When it came back, the jugs were empty, the chains made dust, the saw was filthy, low on power and he was complaining about how it only cut good for the first 5-6 cuts. Then it got hard to start. Fine, powdery, oily saw dust plugged the air filter. When it plugged, the saw ran rich fouling the muffler. Who really knows how long it ran like that in those 3 days. I can't blame the compression on misuse, it still felt about the same.

I cleaned the screen, replaced the filter and re-ringed it. After 30+ strokes per tooth the chains were back in shape again and it cut like a new saw. I already had in mind to re-ring the saw. This just gave me a little incentive while I had the covers off to give it a quickie.

Check your spark arrestor screen.

Last edited:
I've had an oil-plugged exhaust screen that would make a saw hard to start, low power and 'poof' a bit back in the filter when starting. The rings were worn too and compression was low-ish at around 130 instead of 155.

The problem seemed to all stem from dull chains. It left running good, with 2 fresh chains, a gallon of 32:1 premix, 4 ounces of mix oil, 2 quarts of bar oil, and instructions to bring it back if it stoppd cutting good or had any trouble. When it came back, the jugs were empty, the chains made dust, the saw was filthy, low on power and he was complaining about how it only cut good for the first 5-6 cuts. Then it got hard to start. Fine, powdery, oily saw dust plugged the air filter. When it plugged, the saw ran rich fouling the muffler. Who really knows how long it ran like that in those 3 days. I can't blame the compression on misuse, it still felt about the same.

I cleaned the screen, replaced the filter and re-ringed it. After 30+ strokes per tooth the chains were back in shape again and it cut like a new saw. I already had in mind to re-ring the saw. This just gave me a little incentive while I had the covers off to give it a quickie.

Check your spark arrestor screen.

The spark screen was nasty, I looked that up and cleaned it out at one point. I hope that I didnt ruin the rings running it like that for too long!!! I didnt know about it until I googled it.

Well, I might have someone check the compression for real, if it is ok then just a brand new air filter, a couple new chains and learn how to sharpen myself, the only local guy who does it with a fast turnaround uses a grinder so that is prob why my chains suck.

Any advice on sharpening? Anything in particular I shoud buy to help?

There is really little reason you should need google.....this site has so much information at your fingertips. Just go to the search function and click on advanced search. Place some keywords in the the box then select "titles only". You will be amazed at what you find. I have been on this site for a while and have yet to find a topic that hasn't been discussed, sometimes at great length.

Nothing wrong with posting a question however, but I try to make them specific after I've done my "research" in old threads. Also if they are saw related, try posting them in the chainsaw section as you might have a better chance for answers.

Good Luck and if my directions for searching are not clear enough, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it. :cheers:

There is really little reason you should need google.....this site has so much information at your fingertips. Just go to the search function and click on advanced search. Place some keywords in the the box then select "titles only". You will be amazed at what you find. I have been on this site for a while and have yet to find a topic that hasn't been discussed, sometimes at great length.

Nothing wrong with posting a question however, but I try to make them specific after I've done my "research" in old threads. Also if they are saw related, try posting them in the chainsaw section as you might have a better chance for answers.

Good Luck and if my directions for searching are not clear enough, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it. :cheers:

Oh, I meant before I found this forum I was googling my butt off trying to solve my low power prob!

The spark screen was nasty, I looked that up and cleaned it out at one point. I hope that I didnt ruin the rings running it like that for too long!!! I didnt know about it until I googled it.

Well, I might have someone check the compression for real, if it is ok then just a brand new air filter, a couple new chains and learn how to sharpen myself, the only local guy who does it with a fast turnaround uses a grinder so that is prob why my chains suck.

I would just do a bunch of searching in the chainsaw forum to start, and that will help a bunch.

There is actually a fairly current thread in there now on chain sharpening (its actually about grinders, but it goes into filing by hand) that could be useful. I suggest going to Bailey's and getting a File-O-Plate or the Husky filing guide and some of the WoodlandPro chain. Its reasonably priced, and cuts well. Just be careful, since it has no anti-kickback on it. If that makes you uncomfortable, you can always get the safety chain as well.

The File-O-Plate or Husky guide will hold your file at the proper angle for you until you get a feel for it.

As long as the filter was in place , doing it's job of keeping debris ingestion from happening I doubt the rigs were hurt from to much fuel/oil.

For sharpening I use a filing guide plate to keep the angles consistant . It also holds the file at the correct height for a sharp edge that holds up well. My advice ? practice with lots of trial and error.

Latest posts

Back