need to build a bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickeyd

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a small brook that divides my land . I need to build a cheap bridge to cross the brook to access firewood. any thoughts on materials and design? It will span 20feet and need to support me, my ATV and a trailer load of oak .max 1800 llb
I am not a welder so metal seems to be out any thoughts and pics would be apreciated
Thanks Mick

I have a small brook that divides my land . I need to build a cheap bridge to cross the brook to access firewood. any thoughts on materials and design? It will span 20feet and need to support me, my ATV and a trailer load of oak .max 1800 llb
I am not a welder so metal seems to be out any thoughts and pics would be apreciated
Thanks Mick
How deep is the brook? Most of them around here you can drive right through them with an ATV and a trailer, especially in a dry summer.

the area I am doing this is the only spot I can use, level and narrow . but the banks are steep. 90 deg and 3 feet deep.

Anybody around there that has an old Mobile home frame?

They take some weight nicely.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

cut down some tall pine trees use them as support.

cover with pressure treated 2x6. sometimes you can find someone removing an old deck and throwing the wood out.

Mickeyd Have you got any Locust trees in your area? Around here many people use Locust logs for bridge timbers and cover them with local saw mill timber 2x material. Probably 3-4 trees 10-12 inch diameter would span for your firewood needs. Recently I saw a tandem dump truck loaded with fill dirt cross a old bridge made of 7 12-16 Locust logs 30 ft across and the bridge held together- it did sway a bit in the middle. Thats the cheapest method- for a real bridge we built recently- 60 ft long 12 ft wide- we used old interstate bridge I beams that were recently removed from I40- 36 inches tall 60 ft long and the webs were 11/4 inch thick-it doesnt move a bit with a loaded tandem truck- but the beams cost us 10,000.00 plus labor-totaled 23,000 completed with 4x6 treated deck. Good luck!

Cut down a Hemlock tree to make 2 or 3 "frame rails" and screw 2'' boards to them. Hemlock will last a long time and it's very strong. I have a bridge that I drive my tractor and skidder acrost and it's just 3 hemlock "beems" with 2'' boars screwed to them.

Similar to VAjerry, I suggest an old steel flatbed body. I've been through some old logging roads that used them for bridges. I drove over one in my F-350 without sweating it. I suggest something like that.... maybe even an old mobile home frame with some rough cut lumber across it?

my bridge

woods008.jpg

Not sure how it was built but hears a photo of mine. The bridge you see in the photo was here when I moved in 9 years ago. I hope it gives you some ideals.

HOME2009012-1.jpg

During the heavy rains in the spring and the fall the water flows over top of the bridge.

Two Railroad tracks ought to do the trick. Ask around a local railroad yard for some used ones. Make the deck with PT planks anchored on. I've seen it at a local golf course and it looks nice. A mobile home frame might look a bit junky. Another is the body off an old ramp truck. Cut the headerboard off. For footings on each side use concrete railroad ties, they will neither rot or float away in a flood.

ah, quit being a wenie and jump it!!! Its just a little brook

Seriously though, I like the telephone idea. I dont know how far I would span with them, they do get narrow at the top. Probably get them cheap or free too.

Thanks Mick

Any chance of a few pics of the crossing, Mickey?.. I have some long pieces of 3 X 4 inch galvanized angle iron out in the shop that might could be laid across the gap and then some deck boards could be drilled and bolted to it. Is the land level in your neighborhood or are you up on the ridge?:camera:

I like the old semi flat bed trailer idea.......if you take off the wheels and under carriage, that would make a great bridge !!!!!

Basso

cut down some tall pine trees use them as support.

cover with pressure treated 2x6. sometimes you can find someone removing an old deck and throwing the wood out.

I thought of doing this but I wasnt sure how long the pine would last.
MD

Latest posts

Back