Need your advice on trailer design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess (not that it's truly needed) but I'd like a pair pf 3-4K drop-leg jack mounted on the outward edges, akin to a GN trailer. Then the the handle could be on the side, with a box or chain tray in the tongue and the drop-legs would be easily accessible.

There is a pair of 12,000 lb on each corner of the front. A pair of 8,000 on the rear. Pics tomorrow.

Some more pics of the progress.

Attachments

• 20150410_141512.jpg
    20150410_141512.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20150410_141930.jpg
    20150410_141930.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20150410_141625.jpg
    20150410_141625.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 26
And the steel. Anybody know if these numbers are good or bad?

Attachments

• 20150410_142044.jpg
    20150410_142044.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20150410_142105.jpg
    20150410_142105.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 21
And why does this site arrange photo's in any direction all willy nilly.

And the steel. Anybody know if these numbers are good or bad?
Oh man, you didn't use Canadian steel, did you?! Didn't you learn anything from the Drolet Tundras cracking?! :laugh: :buttkick::happybanana:
And why does this site arrange photo's in any direction all willy nilly.
Looks fine to me, you drinkin already? :cheers: :dancing:

Kidding...the trailer looks good.
I think the pics have to be taken with the phone held sideways to post upright :yes:

Oh man, you didn't use Canadian steel, did you?! Didn't you learn anything from the Drolet Tundras cracking?! :laugh: :buttkick::happybanana:

Looks fine to me, you drinkin already? :cheers: :dancing:

Kidding...the trailer looks good.
I think the pics have to be taken with the phone held sideways to post upright :yes:

The pics of the numbers are actually upside down and trailer sideways makes no sense.

Also, YOU S.O.B!! :chainsaw: I was pissed when I saw that. :angry: WTF. hopefully Canada makes good steel. I friggen knew you were going to bring that up, memory like a steel trap for an old bastard. I still think the tundra is Chinese steel, price is to cheap for quality steel. Math just doesn't work ya know.

The pics of the numbers are actually upside down and trailer sideways makes no sense.

Also, YOU S.O.B!! :chainsaw: I was pissed when I saw that. :angry: WTF. hopefully Canada makes good steel. I friggen knew you were going to bring that up, memory like a steel trap for an old bastard. I still think the tundra is Chinese steel, price is to cheap for quality steel. Math just doesn't work ya know.
We made 100s with Canadian steel with no problems, tube steel in my experience isn't very corrosion resistant, make sure it is prepped properly and given a good coat of paint. My personal trailer got epoxy primer, I think that was money well spent, mine is 15 years old it needs blasting and repainting, but not bad for the amount of salt it has seen.

We made 100s with Canadian steel with no problems, tube steel in my experience isn't very corrosion resistant, make sure it is prepped properly and given a good coat of paint. My personal trailer got epoxy primer, I think that was money well spent, mine is 15 years old it needs blasting and repainting, but not bad for the amount of salt it has seen.

Thanks for that info @les-or-more Went out today and picked up some epoxy primer and paint. Man that stuff is expensive, 6 times what rustoleum costs. But apparently really good stuff, I would hate to finally get a proper trailer and have it rust to hell in 15 years. Never realized the intricacies with paints and primers, man that is a world of info there.

Thanks for that info @les-or-more Went out today and picked up some epoxy primer and paint. Man that stuff is expensive, 6 times what rustoleum costs. But apparently really good stuff, I would hate to finally get a proper trailer and have it rust to hell in 15 years. Never realized the intricacies with paints and primers, man that is a world of info there.
It cost me a little over two bills for the primer and what ever the painter needed to spray it in 2000. Not cheap but I think it has held up well, it has seen a lot of winter miles.

$380.00 just for the supplies, labor free, yes very expensive but hopefully worth it.

Looking good Stihly!
On a semi-related note, I had an off the wall idea the other day that I'm still chewing on. I'm going to buy a '93 S10 ext-cab 4x4 V6 off of a buddy, fix it up and make it a chore truck/motorized wheelbarrow. I have a 2nd s10 which is a 2x4 long bed that was given to me and is currently non-functional. I will be pulling the front clip, engine, bed, lights etc for spares to the 4x4. I was going to scrap the rest but I had the idea of turning the 2x4 frame into a short (10-14') scaled down GN flat deck trailer and mounting a GN hitch in the 4x4. Basically to make a scaled to size, 5-6K utility trailer which the 4x4 could pull to load wood out in crappy areas that my dually can't traverse while making it load the 4x4 in a much more balanced fashion. I haven't tried to draw it out yet but I can see it in my mind. The only caveat would be that the GN would have to be long and high enough to clear a full-size truck and still be functional should I want to use it for whatever reason. IIt would likely have 2x 2.5-3K brake axles mounted fore amd aft of the the rear axle arch on the frame and I would have to make ribs to come off of the frame sides and laterally support the deck frame.

I maybe out in left field but in my head it makes a lot of sense.

WOW, thats going to be a VERY well built / over built trailer.

I must ask why tube steel why not C-Channel? Seems like C-Channel is much cheaper and more corrosion resistant.

Check out Nichols Trailer in Maine, the guy does some incredible work. Now that I have a full size truck I am saving up for a trailer to cart the tractor around with.

As heavy as it will be it should pull like a dream (after getting up to speed) and follow straight as long as the axles are true. It should also be very solid.

Back