Needed to talk - struck by fatality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The very fact you've put it up here...

You know what it will take to get around this.

Deepest Condolences to the family of man who died, and to yourself.

RedlineIt

...need to talk...

Need to talk? Yeah. I'll bet.

With all the worldly concerns surrounding such a tragic event, lawyers, insurance companies and all that, you've got to remember something: those details will get ironed out eventually, and you'll be left with...you.

Which leads me to the point: you've got to take of yourself. Psychologically, I mean. That process begins with reaching out to a sympathetic community of others who may or may not share your complex feelings. ( I know I don't. I've seen tragedy, but never all tied up in a situation where whatifs and maybeIshouldn't haves)

Even after the lawyers have gone and the papers signed, you'll still be holding on to what's left of your own psychological landscape. None of us here at AS are quaified to walk you through the intricasies of healing your mind. We're tree people.

You've got to reach out to a counselor. This stuff has a way of holding on to parts of our lives tenaciously. Never letting go. It starts with your post, but promise yourself it won't end there.

Be patient with yourself in this process. This one will take a while. And the hard work is still ahead of you.

Check in as needed. Stay with us and talk to a counselor about this.

James

... could have been me...

Wow, when I think of the near-misses some of our crews have had.... I wish they COULD learn from this. <<sigh>> I know I'll be more dilligent.

Prayers and supportive healing thoughts to you, your crew and this man's family.

Dude, that is rough.

Keep your head up, things will get better in time.

As for the customers calling wanting work done, if your feeling like your out of the business, let them know youve retired, taken a new career path, something.

May God lend a soft hand.

Wow. you are a strong person for posting this sad news.Not one tree worker of any experience can say they have never had a near miss.I thank you for posting this and i will be printing out a copy for my guys. reality must be kept in the forfront of our minds, its a potentually dangerous endevour we do.
look after yourself, be kind to yourself.our thoughts as you can see from the postings are with you.

need to talk

Terribly sorry this happened to you and your coworker. This is probably easier said then done but try to not beat yourself up over it. There is an implied understanding by all tree workers that this work is inherently dangerous. Thank you for sharing this experience with us all, believe me it will go a long way in refreshing our memories as to just how dangerous this job can be...even when things run smoothly from day to day and everything seems routine we should maintain our safety protocol and stay alert.

Many responses have said it isn't your 'fault'. I don't mean to kick a guy while he's down but I have to be honest with my opinion here: you and he both assumed the risk of working a helmetless groundsman. Maybe the helmet would have saved him and maybe not but they tend to go a long way.

One of my close calls was dropping my one day old 200T from 40 feet and missing my helmetless boss by three or four feet. My single action biner holding it to the lanyard popped open at just the right time as I went to lower the saw to my side and away she went. By the time my yell made it down the bar was plunging into the brush next to him...and for those two seconds I felt incredibly helpless. It was sheer luck that I didn't end up in the same position you are in now. Needless to say I girth hitch that lanyard to my saws now!

I know you've learned from it and I hope you can stay in the game. I wish you all the best in getting through this.

Just a note to say thanks again to all that have responded to this thread, your thoughts and prayers are all being heard and appreciated. I am seeing both mental and legal counsel and trying to regain the confidence that I need to get back into the field. I know that getting back into the field will take complete concentration in both my heart and head, and getting them in sync right now is a struggle. Every day is a small step toward moving forward, each one filled with questions that can't be answered, but understanding that there is a purpose to all of this, and that I do not have to agree with the plan, but I will have to learn and deal with it. Again I thank those that read and passed this thread on to work crews with the hope that they can also learn from it. Be careful.

Need to Talk: Comment & Advice

Need to Talk:

You are undoubtedly a very concerned individual and are suffering from feelings of guilt and remorse. These are quite reasonable feelings in consideration of the experience you have had.

Please know that most certainly this is not intended to sound cold, cruel, mean or disrespectful to the deceased or yourself, however it is suggested that you review carefully your 'need to talk' with divulging details of the incident and your feelings publicly on this web site. While you have not disclosed your name, etc., 'two and two' could be put together by those familiar with the case to thus recognize who you are.

You are encouraged to speak to your lawyer and therapist. They are bound to confidentiality. We can all appreciate what you are going through and personally I admire you in many respects. Professionally however, I recommend you talk only to your lawyer and therapist. Be sure to let your lawyer know that you have posted these messages. They can then determine a strategy of potential 'damage control' with respect to any litigation that may arise from the incident.

It is undoubtedly difficult following a circumstance like this to bear the emotional struggle within. Seeking support from others most certainly can provide a sense of assurance and some relief. However, it is important that you do not jeopardize your position with unintended yet implied admissions of responsibility. Doing so may be a breach of conditions within your insurance protection. Certainly seek the help you need to get through this difficult experience, however do so from providers who must keep any 'confessions' in their confidence.

Best wishes in your healing, full respect to the deceased and sypathies to the family.

Scott

Dear “Need to Talk” - I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I would like to share my experience. I was the only witness and care giver in the sudden accidental death of my own dearly loved Dad, in a boating accident in a remote marsh in Southeast Louisiana.

You can “What If …” yourself into a deep, dangerous depression thinking about the things you could have done, might have done to prevent the accident. At that point you will make yourself totally useless to the victim, yourself, your family, and society in general, and you will still be completely powerless to change the past.

I got some very good advice from St. Paul that continues to reassure me and give me direction. Philippians 4: 4-9, and particularly verse 8.

You will always remember the things you wish you had done, and the things you wish the deceased had done. But do not set your mind on these things. That will only make you feel guilty, resentful, powerless, and helpless. Instead, set your mind on the present and the future, those things you have some influence over. You have gained a very valuable experience at the ultimate price. Use it. Share it. But do not let it defeat you. Set your mind on excellence, and continue to pursue it.

You have my Love and Prayers.

It could be any one of us at any moment. We all work in a dangerous field.

My deepest sorrow to all involved.

Sometimes an accident is just an accident, a coalescing of circumstances.

I can't imagine how you feel but I know you have to keep moving, no matter how hard it may be. You still have a family to care for, don't let your grief overwhelm you. In time, you'll find some peace.

I wish you well.

Beautifully put Fireaxman!!

Dear “Need to Talk” - I am not a psychologist or psychiatrist, but I would like to share my experience. I was the only witness and care giver in the sudden accidental death of my own dearly loved Dad, in a boating accident in a remote marsh in Southeast Louisiana.

You can “What If …” yourself into a deep, dangerous depression thinking about the things you could have done, might have done to prevent the accident. At that point you will make yourself totally useless to the victim, yourself, your family, and society in general, and you will still be completely powerless to change the past.

I got some very good advice from St. Paul that continues to reassure me and give me direction. Philippians 4: 4-9, and particularly verse 8.

You will always remember the things you wish you had done, and the things you wish the deceased had done. But do not set your mind on these things. That will only make you feel guilty, resentful, powerless, and helpless. Instead, set your mind on the present and the future, those things you have some influence over. You have gained a very valuable experience at the ultimate price. Use it. Share it. But do not let it defeat you. Set your mind on excellence, and continue to pursue it.

You have my Love and Prayers.

Amen...

It's my opinion that you have nothing to feel guilty about. Perhaps you could have encouraged him to wear the helmet, but ultimately, it was his decision not to. He made the choice. He knew the risks.
An analogy might be a passenger in your car not wearing a seatbelt.
Our work is dangerous, that's why the pay is comparatively high. Again, he made the choice to do take this job. He knew the risks.
I hope this thread has been therapeutic for you, it made a lot of folks think about the way we do things. You sound like a good guy that just had a bad accident. Don't beat yourself up.
You still have a long row to hoe, getting some psychiatric help might be a real good idea about now.

I apologize for the interruption of what is a very important and touching thread for everyone to read, but I cannot recommend strongly enough that this thread be deleted by the moderators to protect 'need to talk' from the ramifications of a public statement made regarding an ongoing investigation.

The details of this incident are already available elsewhere on this page, and this page comes up on a web search regarding the incident. A person who works with the homeowner already posted in the other thread.

If any kind of legal battle is going to ensue, comments made by 'need to talk' in his grief will be very damaging in the hands of opposing counsel.

Again, I apologize for being seemingly callous in a very heartfelt thread, but this thread could really damage him.

Need To Talk

Hi,
I was away when thread was first posted on AS,I can understand your feelings on this accident,and I'm definitely not going to preach to you about it,all I'm going to say is there's time to grieve,there's a time to recover,and there's a time to stand up regardless how hard it is,and not let it occupy your every thought I'm not saying forget about it but this was a accident no ones fault really,dont let this destroy you and those around you.
My thoughts and prayers for all that was involved in this unfortunate accident.

need to talk

I am so very sorry, also, for the unfortunate situation. As many have stated, close calls and accidents do happen as part of our profession. Most of us get a 'learning experience' maybe a bump, a cut, or a whopping scar.

But only a few of us are unfortunate enough to have an injury resulting in a fatality on the jobsite. For all of us, you have shared the horror of it and heightened the overall awareness of safety on the jobsite.

A few weeks ago a former apprentice was doing a climb for my firewood guys (I was on vacation). I can't piece the incident together as I have only heard it from the one side, the guy who was struck with the limb and knocked through a wooden fence. I did see the $3,000 medical bill for the MRI, X-Rays and meds, and it was a first-hand recount, but I have yet to hear about it from the climber.

I know it affected the climber deeply, but it was just a close call.

Need to talk, The pain you're experiencing and sharing with us is felt by all. There is no way to go back and change three critical seconds. However, it is beyond common sense that you have to be responsible for your own personal safety. In fact, it is an industry standard and it stated emphatically, page 1 of the 2006 ANSI Z-133.1 standard of Safety Requirements for Arboricultural Operations, and it reads:

1.4 Responsibility of the Employee
Each person (employee or otherwise) shall be responsible for his or her own safety while on the jobsite and shall comply with the appropriate federal or state occupational safety and health standards and all rules, regulations, and orders that are applicable to his or her own actions and conduct.

Yes, you have a responsibility toward your workers, however their safety is their responsibility. As a team, we are all looking out for each other, but ultimately we must each be responsible for our own behaviors and conduct while on the jobsite. YOUR personal safety is not someone else's duty, nor is theirs yours. I risk being overly blunt in the face of this unfortunate tragedy, but I am just relaying the rules written by our industry, for our industry.

As a business owner,and as a human being this really brings up a grim reminder of what can happen.Either we don't like to think about or fall into the trap of thinking that it only happens to everyone else.My wife is a sheriff's deputy,and her job is one of the higher risk jobs in the department,I on the other hand have been climbing trees for fifteen years and now have two other climbers working for me,and three ground guys.Both of know that when we leave this house in the morning,there is a good chance of one,or God forbid,both of us not making it back home.Both of us have had extremely close calls in our line of work,I even posted one of the stories in another thread,and even though I was able to walk away from that event,I still have bad dreams about it today.And it was ten years ago...My wife has had several close calls of her own,a couple was from plain carelessness and not following procedure,but a couple she was doing everything right and things went wrong.Each of these events in our lives have not only brought us closer together as a couple,but has changed the way we look at things,do things and live our lives...In the event of such a traumatic event,I guess it's human nature to sit and think "What could I have done different?","Or if I had only done this it wouldn't have happened"...It goes on and on,and no doubt this will be with you for the rest of your life.I am of the belief that for whatever reason,it was HIS time to go,and there is nothing you could have done about it.Perhaps you could have prevented that particular accident,but God called that boy home that day...Unfortunately OSHA,and everyone else involved does not see it that way.I would definately seek legal help if you already have not.I would also tell you to do your best to move on with your life,but that's easier said than done,I know.Everyone involved here will be in my thoughts and prayers,and I'm going to print this out and let everyone at our next safety meeting share it.Good luck,and I hope everything turns out in your favor.
Paul

It can happen to anyone at any time, safety standards in place or not. Some disasters are freak accidents tough many accidents can be avoided. I feel for everyone involved.

Back