Neighbor asked if I would look at his saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKDriveSprocket

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My neighbors know I work on small engines and one of them asked if I would look at a saw he borrowed from someone. It was a new Husqvaena 445 with really low use and looked new. I pulled on the cord and it had no compression and felt like the piston was dragging. I told him it was toasted but he still wanted me to look in to it and he would pay me for it. I told him we need to dump the gas out so I can work on it inside my house. As we where dumping it, it looked clear and I asked him if he added two stoke oil. He said sure did right there,as he was pointing to the bar oil tank. I said it needed to be mixed in with the gas and he said " is it not a oil injected system? I added oil right there'' once again pointing to the oil tank. I didn`t want to make him fell bad so I chuckled under my breath. I think he wanted to ask if he could borrow a saw from me to finish the job. Thank god he didn`t. He ended up having to buy the guy a new saw. And gave me the bunt up saw as payment for my time. Took me two minutes to pull the muffler but 30 minutes to tell him how a saw works. I told him to read the manual on the next saw.

Never loan out any saw, last friend that asked got me and the saw. A couple hours spent was worth it to keep my saw safe.:help:

Never loan out any saw, last friend that asked got me and the saw. A couple hours spent was worth it to keep my saw safe.:help:

There was a time I could loan out saws, mowers etc. If was broken they would bring a new one back or pay to have it fixed. Those days are long gone as is my loaning of ANYTHING.

Not a saw story, but same concept,

Back in the 70's - 80's my BIL borrowed my Dad's 12" boat, didn't put oil in the tank for the 8hp 2cyl. chrysler

He got to the middle of the lake when it locked up

The good part is that he forgot the oars.

that was pre-cell phones.

If I lend, I instruct the borrower, but I generally don't lend.

luck,greg

My two younger brothers and I were raised around motorcycles. We all raced Moto-Cross and had tons of dirtbikes, so mixing gas / oil is no big deal.

But.....there are a lot of guys that have never rode two-strokes or used chainsaws, or owned power equip. that required gas / oil mix.

I just figured they all led sheltered lives. :hmm3grin2orange:

That's how I get alot of saw's and the money it brings in; that god for dumb people :msp_tongue:

I don't lend ANYTHING. I even had a preacher ask to read a book I had that he was interested in. After a couple of weeks I called to ask him to bring it back. He told me, "why can't you just come and get it"? Once I got there I told him how I was raised and informed him of his serious lack of proper home training. Since then he's asked once more to read a book. I told him I would give him the ISBN number and he could order his own book. He's never asked since.

People simply don't have manners anymore.

I haven`t pulled the jug off yet to see if the cylinder is any good. I hate to just though it away. None of the parts fit my other saws. I`ll probably just fix it and flip it. Looks like a 450 top end will fit this saw.

None of my friends would utter the words "May I borrow a saw." My friends have asked if I would help cut down or buck tree's with them. If someone would ask to borrow a saw, they would probably not know me, hence they aren't my friend. Friends with tools help Friends without and the circle goes round.

A few years ago, my sister-in-law phoned me in apparent distress because her 20ish hear old son had disabled two lawnmowers, one of which was borrowed. I told her to drop them off and I'd take a look at them. Both arrived with the pull cords/recoil starts broken. So I had to fix them before I could go any further with diagnosis and repair. After doing that, I check the fuel tanks. Both were full, checked for spark, plenty on both but neither would fire. Emptied the fuel tanks. Both were FULL of water. No gas. Got on the phone to talk to the nephew about the water in the tank, where he got the fuel etc. He said he got the fuel from the gas can they had in the back yard. I asked him if he was talking about the five gallon container that had sat out in the open, with no cap on it all winter? He said "Yeah. That one." I mean, really, how freaking stupid can people be?

I did get both mowers running and was alarmed with the condition of the borrowed Toro. When it started, it smoked so bad that it made a rich running two cycle look like a poster boy for the EPA. In addition to the smoke, it was rattling quite noticeably. I immediately shut it down. When the sister-in-law and nephew came to get the mowers, I told them to drop the Toro off at the owners and do not, I repeat, do not try to use it.

Most of my buddies wish I would borrow their small gas equipment. They know it would be returned better than when they loaned it. :poke:

My neighbors know I work on small engines and one of them asked if I would look at a saw he borrowed from someone. It was a new Husqvaena 445 with really low use and looked new. I pulled on the cord and it had no compression and felt like the piston was dragging. I told him it was toasted but he still wanted me to look in to it and he would pay me for it. I told him we need to dump the gas out so I can work on it inside my house. As we where dumping it, it looked clear and I asked him if he added two stoke oil. He said sure did right there,as he was pointing to the bar oil tank. I said it needed to be mixed in with the gas and he said " is it not a oil injected system? I added oil right there'' once again pointing to the oil tank. I didn`t want to make him fell bad so I chuckled under my breath. I think he wanted to ask if he could borrow a saw from me to finish the job. Thank god he didn`t. He ended up having to buy the guy a new saw. And gave me the bunt up saw as payment for my time. Took me two minutes to pull the muffler but 30 minutes to tell him how a saw works. I told him to read the manual on the next saw.

I agree with what you say that you should READ the manual, but in the last few years I have been asked to look at saws, & most of the problems were due to straight gassing, talking to the people concerned a good few had scooters/small 2 stoke motor cycles/mopeds, I am led to believe most if not all of these are oil injection, they saw 2 fillers 1 saying oil so they incorrectly assume that`s for mix oil[ even had a guy bring oil bottle with oil suitable for injection only] no excuse as said, but maybe going some way to explain if it`s their`s first use or the usage is infrequent.[ just a maybe explanation not a statement of fact]

I agree with what you say that you should READ the manual, but in the last few years I have been asked to look at saws, & most of the problems were due to straight gassing, talking to the people concerned a good few had scooters/small 2 stoke motor cycles/mopeds, I am led to believe most if not all of these are oil injection, they saw 2 fillers 1 saying oil so they incorrectly assume that`s for mix oil[ even had a guy bring oil bottle with oil suitable for injection only] no excuse as said, but maybe going some way to explain if it`s their`s first use or the usage is infrequent.[ just a maybe explanation not a statement of fact]

And also maybe their only experience has been with outboard motors.

Had a neighbors that just coudn't seem to get up to speed
on not leaving the mowers and gas cans out in the rain.
First couple times I did the tank and carb cleanout for cost of parts.
(These guys feed me like a king , at all those famila gatherings, so i didn't mind)
Second time the son gets to help do the work
That e-gas stinks for a few days, on a school aged boys hands and the little girls don't like it.
Third time, I told him , "you know where the tools are, get busy"
I didn't mess it up, get that smelly stuff all over yourself this time ,
instead of me
as a whole was damn smart, quick kid, So I liked working with him.
learned his lesson...
month or so later, back with the mower, water in tank.
Que passsa dude?

"Aw man, my mom wanted to try cutting the grass
and she picked up the can from the trash and poured it in the mower.
Yeah, I let him do it himself ,again.

Back