Never let your guard down!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lh3

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Sunday, I had to finish a job removing two pine trees and my helper failed to show up. After calling everyone I know, I proceeded to pick up a guy from the local mission to help for the day. He was to be my ground person/rope tender. I walked him through every limb except the last one on the last tree. It happened to be one of the biggest and when i cut it loose it fell about ten feet before my helper decided to abruptly stop it. And then i was the guy from the youtube video, being thrashed around. I wasn't hurt, except for some bruises, but have a renewed respect for my equipment and experienced ground workers. Just a voice of experience and lessons hard learned.

I know which vid you're talking about and yeah, that guy took a beating on that spar. Regardless of what quality groundman I have I always brace for the worst at the top. Shut off the saw as she bends, let it float down the lanyard, grab the spar, stiffen your arms, jelly your legs and ride that lil girl out. There's always a very good chance you'll take a bit of a thrashing so I simply assume that #####'ll try her best to buck me off.

gettin bucked

all the accounts ive seen of a man being whipped about like that,

the material he was taking was too large/heavy for the limb supporting it/the limb the cutter is usually on!

That is another good point! But, this time it could have been avoided with a little more instruction on my part, as we had previously taken off three others just like it from the same location in the tree with no adverse effects.

:hmm3grin2orange:thats a good one you tube [ not you] i have had that happen to me to years ago tom trees

I know which vid you're talking about and yeah, that guy took a beating on that spar. Regardless of what quality groundman I have I always brace for the worst at the top. Shut off the saw as she bends, let it float down the lanyard, grab the spar, stiffen your arms, jelly your legs and ride that lil girl out. There's always a very good chance you'll take a bit of a thrashing so I simply assume that #####'ll try her best to buck me off.
I know what you mean about allways assuming the old gal will do her best to buck you off.

Down here we have these exotict pine trees called norfolk island pines,and if any body here has had to lower the top out of one you know what im talking about.
They taper off ever so slowly and it is hard to decide sometimes exactly how far to the top you want to place the false crotch.
Most of the time you will be tied in on about 5in dia spar with 10-15 feet of top swinging down,and that length can still be plenty heavy,especially with green cones on it.

Cut it lower,and you have a lot more weight.
Cut it higher,and you are on even more of a spring pole.

Either way,,,,better be ready to hold on.

On the plus side though.
Most of the time you can get a dump truck ,or open trailer backed up to them. The side branches can be snapped off by hand and dropped into the truck,then bomb the wood into the truck on top of the the springy brush on the way down to about 10 feet .Then it gets dropped onto the load,flush cut the stump,and your done.
I've probably done a hundred or more that way.It makes them a nice job most of the time.
I just hate the ones I can't bomb the tops out of.

I had that happen to me from a supposely experienced groundman/climber that I was working for/ helping out. He had 3 wraps and I cut down the top of this poplar. Put the 372 down on the lanyard( 3 or 4 footer) He rocked me so bad that the saw came up and the handle hit me in the face. I was a little upset almost unclipped it and dropped it on him. The next one I told him we were doing differently. Put a notch in the top (30 foot or so) and they pulled it over across the width of the backyard. They were pushed up against the fence and I swear the tips hit the brims of they're hard hats. Now that's funny! and very enjoyable.

This is why I took a bad fall 3.5 years ago. I was roping a large limb off the lead I was tied to, not a good idea, I hear ya. I told my groundman to hold it till it clear the gutters then let it come to the ground fast or I'm gonna get beat up up here, rodeo style.

I cut the lead and boy oh boy it got bigger. Bent me and my tie in lead WAY over. I looked down and my groundman was holding on to it with all he had, while I was getting beat the hell up, the damn limb was now 30 ft. or better from the gutters. The limbs bouncing and I keep getting thrown back and forth. Then I heard the lead brake way below my feet. Then I remember the grass coming at me fast. I put the saw out to break the fall, not a good idea it blew my wrist up and broke my neck.

Next thing I remember were the lights in my face and them cutting my new Carhart bibs off me in the ambulance.

Had he of let it go to the ground like I said it would of all stopped. I fired him laying on the ground with also a broken neck, back and leg. Waiting on an ambulance.

Last edited:
:dizzy: Daayyyuummm!!
I take it you recovered fully!!??

I was roping out tops on Thursday, a big casuarina, 70' multiple vertical leads.
I had the rigging set in one lead and I was taking out the other with a little spur for a tie in.
Up at 50', 6-8" dia branches it gets very springy! My groundies let the initial weight run but had to stop it to prevent damage to palms and plantings below, I got shook about a couple times on the second grab!

ANother thing, as the trunks got bigger coming down I had to switch from a nice polyester loop sling to a big split tail to tie on the ISC block. Twice the whole lot slipped down about a foot when the chunk weight took up. If I had NOT been tied in above the rigging it would have been...interesting!!

I was roping out tops on Thursday, a big casuarina, 70' multiple vertical leads.
I had the rigging set in one lead and I was taking out the other with a little spur for a tie in.
Up at 50', 6-8" dia branches it gets very springy! My groundies let the initial weight run but had to stop it to prevent damage to palms and plantings below, I got shook about a couple times on the second grab!

ANother thing, as the trunks got bigger coming down I had to switch from a nice polyester loop sling to a big split tail to tie on the ISC block. Twice the whole lot slipped down about a foot when the chunk weight took up. If I had NOT been tied in above the rigging it would have been...interesting!!

That's why I always tie in above the block. If it were to ever fail you would have a bad day.

Sometimes you have no choice, you have to let the rope run a little and shock load. I personally don't mind going for a little ride every now and then.

Casuarinas ahh yes,.they just call them austrailian pines here.
Yeah,they can be a handfull too.
I know they are a REALLY REALLY Hard wood ,hard to gaff.Have to stomp like hell every step . I heard somewhere they are like the 8th or 9th hardest wood in the world.Don't know if it's true or not,but they are the hardest wood i've ever cut,especially when near salt water.

Last edited:
bombed the top out of a young tall skinny shagbark hickory a few years back. was about 35ft up and there was at least 20ft above the notch. The cut was maybe 8 to 10 inches in diameter, made the back cut and when it went over a piece of the hinge maybe the size of a quarter hung on and peeled down. Had just enough time to get out of the way before almost getting smashed between the top and the trunk. That dang log danced back and forth at least 20ft. I now know what a paddle ball feels like.

bombed the top out of a young tall skinny shagbark hickory a few years back. was about 35ft up and there was at least 20ft above the notch. The cut was maybe 8 to 10 inches in diameter, made the back cut and when it went over a piece of the hinge maybe the size of a quarter hung on and peeled down. Had just enough time to get out of the way before almost getting smashed between the top and the trunk. That dang log danced back and forth at least 20ft. I now know what a paddle ball feels like.

That's what I hate about Hickory's. Don't take but a tooth pick to peel and kill you.

Never happened to me, never will. I refuse to put myself in those kinds of situations. I will take smaller pieces, or like I usually do, just pound it down. A couple of people on this thread have talked about near death experiences, no thanks. Think about it guys, why?

I did a 90 footer the other day and that was a big concern with blocking down the wood. Either pulling on my lanyard or holding on and being tossed on the neighbours garage. Limbed one this time and dropped the stem but it didn't drop. Came down to about 3 feet off the ground then stopped dead. Couldn't believe it. These are the things you don't learn in school.

I did a 90 footer the other day and that was a big concern with blocking down the wood. Either pulling on my lanyard or holding on and being tossed on the neighbours garage. Limbed one this time and dropped the stem but it didn't drop. Came down to about 3 feet off the ground then stopped dead. Couldn't believe it. These are the things you don't learn in school.

+1

Also the things they don't have diagrams for in The Tree Climber's Companion.

Think about it guys, why?

because the man/women paying the bills doesnt want their rhodies pounded into the dirt?

besides man....do a few years of the high end high obstacle stuff and the rest of the **** gets easier.

i kinda look forward to getting away from the city stuff one day and more back into the suburb trees. yeah they get bigger but less hassle. i cant remember my last big takedown that didnt have something of value or wire under it.

i hear you though clearance. sometimes i'd rather pound the garden too.

Limbed one this time and dropped the stem but it didn't drop. Came down to about 3 feet off the ground then stopped dead. Couldn't believe it. These are the things you don't learn in school.

did you buck it up where she stood? lol.

edit: glad the OP is alright after the ride he took. thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
because the man/women paying the bills doesnt want their rhodies pounded into the dirt?

besides man....do a few years of the high end high obstacle stuff and the rest of the **** gets easier.

i kinda look forward to getting away from the city stuff one day and more back into the suburb trees. yeah they get bigger but less hassle. i cant remember my last big takedown that didnt have something of value or wire under it.

i hear you though clearance. sometimes i'd rather pound the garden too.
Thanks oldirty. I know people have been killed trying to lower logs out of the tree they were in, and the like. A treeman, who is well respected for his abilities and balls told me never to lower anything big out of the tree I am in. He has cut down more big trees over powerlines than I have ever dreamt of, I respect his knowledge and I do as he says.

Latest posts

Back