Never loan out your saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can imagine many of the guys on here would rather loan out their wife LMFAO
Ssh, communal secret here. Some wife/gf is eventually going to see these posts and come back with a vengeance. Y'all know you shouldn't be putting things like that down in writing, lest it be held against you in the future lol.

I lent my saw out twice; once to a neighbor and once to a co-worker. Both told me they knew how to run them and the co-worker I specifically told him not to run the saw in the dirt (he told me he needed to take out some big bushes).

Both times the saw came back broken. The co-worker even told me he had trouble with the chain falling off; when I asked him did he stop to try to fix it? He said no, he just stuck it back in the bar and kept on going till it wouldn't work at all.

That was the day I decided that I had a no loaning saws policy.

Poulan is an old American saw brand. They still make saws today under Husqvarna as its mothership. They were another of the old American brands that were snuffed out by foreign makes (german- Swedish). Unfortunately the saws made today that carry the poulan and poulan pro name, share only the name as the quality is more geared towards homeowner grade units, not the professional quality built machines they came from.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The amount of saws, or whatever type of equipment that comes into the shop and the conversation begins with, "I loaned this to somebody" is staggering. I've seen friendships destroyed along with the equipment.

Saws especially should not be loaned out. 9 times out of 10, if a person doesn't own one, they don't know how to operate one. Half the people that own one don't know how to use it for that matter. LOL.

But "borrowing" usually means short term for a specific job by someone who has no need to actually own a chainsaw. But TWO YEARS? What do you expect? That person didn't need to borrow a saw, they needed to buy a saw.

+1 for the logic behind "if someone wants to loan a saw he or she probably doesn't know how to take care of it".
But you can need a saw but can't afford one (in the end cheap saws can be expensive).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My father in law has a Poulan that he can't get to crank that he is bringing to me. That will be a loaner if I can get it to run. I may do some practice on porting and muffler modding on it. Having a part number for the chain to send them to the local hardware store would be a best bet. I like the idea of sending them with a gallon of gas. I might buy a loaner bar as well.

Sometimes that's true. But that doesn't pass the 2 year test.
When I loaned the saw out, I never really expected to get it back. This was an experiment and I used this poulan as a sacrificial lamb, it actually impressed me that when I did get it back it survived and still runs quite well. Needless to say, it deserves better and now it will sit with my other cherished saws, I think I'm up to around 30.:cool:

When I loaned the saw out, I never really expected to get it back. This was an experiment and I used this poulan as a sacrificial lamb, it actually impressed me that when I did get it back it survived and still runs quite well. Needless to say, it deserves better and now it will sit with my other cherished saws, I think I'm up to around 30.:cool:

Yes, I've given saws away to folks who were out of options as well as out of wood. That's a whole different thing, cause a borrowed tool should be returned in good condition.

Had a guy come in a couple months ago with a hurtin' 445. Carpenter with no work in the winter, and he's completely out of wood. Called to tell him it was toast and you could hear in his reaction that he was screwed. He says, "I went outside and cut enough for tonight with a bow saw." Wow, and I own how many saws? Told him to come on down and I'd have some kind of solution for him. I had a Poulan Pro 42cc that was abandoned here a couple years ago. Not much of a saw, but he was only cutting 6"-8" ash and it would handle that. Wanted to give me something for it, but I told him no way cause I don't ever want to have to work on it and he's not allowed to ever bring it back. :surprised3: .

seeing this thread back up top i remember a time now i lent a buddy a MS250 dirt saw i had. i never used it much and was a freebie scrap find so it was loaner saw classed for sure. what i didn't know is the prick was using it to cut roots off of logs floating in the ocean so he could drag them up the beach easier. lol next day he calls me explaining how the saw went overboard! figuring it's a goner i gave him a little **** and life went on. what i didn't know was the saw went overboard at high tide in a tidal zone so could be recovered at low tide if a guy didn't mind taking on the mud flats. so it must have been a good year later i'm in his shop and see my saw. right on the defensive he claims he salvaged it off the beach a little bit after it sunk when he realized it did go down in the tidal zone. the saw after all that looked mint but anything metal was corroded or rusted to the point of no return. if he would have told me when he salvaged it i bet it could have been saved. it's funny how i can't remember lending a saw many times in the past but it seems everytime i did something went wrong. lol lent my grandfather a 385 a few years ago. being an old faller he likes to tune saws for some reason and he always makes them run for the worse! lol seems anything past a 2100 he can't tune at all. he leaned the 385 with the 13k limit coil out til it's death. puss white plug and scored to hell. i don't lend saws to anyone anymore unless it's a end of driveway spring cleanup freebie lol.

Ssh, communal secret here. Some wife/gf is eventually going to see these posts and come back with a vengeance. Y'all know you shouldn't be putting things like that down in writing, lest it be held against you in the future lol.

What's the old saying?

Say it and forget it. Put it in print and regret it. :crazy2:

Latest posts

Back