new 1590 chipper 38.2K... no air filter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
OK I bought a brand new 1590 bandit Chipper Two weeks ago...

On friday we opened up the air cleaner and there was no air filter in there...
The engine had 16 hours... the PTO had 13 hours and a lot of that was idle time because we were letting it run to break in the engine... I think we dumped 4 or 5 loads in a 14' forrestry box... still on first tank of fuel..
First job had a lot of dead oak... clouds of that dry dust coming out the back of the truck.. the radiator cover was packed with think dust.. then we did some live sycamore.. that was pretty dusty...

SO what do you all think... should I get a brand new machine at no charge, or live with it and ask for some perks etc... Thay are a very reputable dealer... I'd like to keep on good terms with them and I just spent a good load of hard earned $$$ and should be treated fairly...

How much damage got done to that engine??? Should I talk to Catepillar... It is a 140 h.p. turbo charged Cat..

Thanks,
Daniel

I think I'd want them to admit the mistake in writing and quantify the value. If the tables were turned and you had a scored liner I doubt if they'd be falling over themselves to warranty the damage.
Phil

In the end you can't really prove it didn't have an air filter, which is the sticking point. While it would be nice of them to do something about it I am not sure they will. I would try to get an extended warranty on the unit, in writing, or at the least on just the engine. On a side note, I thought diesel engines were supposed to be broken in under load. Running at idle tends to cause carbon buildup because they usually run lean until loaded down. Again, I am not 100% sure but probably 70%.

They already admitted that it happened before, and then they went out and checked the other 1590 on the lot and that didn't have an air filter in it either... They don't lock their yard so someone is probably going in and stealing the filters after hours....

OK I bought a brand new 1590 bandit Chipper Two weeks ago...

On friday we opened up the air cleaner and there was no air filter in there...
The engine had 16 hours... the PTO had 13 hours and a lot of that was idle time because we were letting it run to break in the engine... I think we dumped 4 or 5 loads in a 14' forrestry box... still on first tank of fuel..
First job had a lot of dead oak... clouds of that dry dust coming out the back of the truck.. the radiator cover was packed with think dust.. then we did some live sycamore.. that was pretty dusty...

SO what do you all think... should I get a brand new machine at no charge, or live with it and ask for some perks etc... Thay are a very reputable dealer... I'd like to keep on good terms with them and I just spent a good load of hard earned $$$ and should be treated fairly...

How much damage got done to that engine??? Should I talk to Catepillar... It is a 140 h.p. turbo charged Cat..

Thanks,
Daniel
Did you call them and yet and let them no? I'm pretty sure who your dealer is and have had good luck with them in the past.We have a new 1590 also. There is lots of dust that the air cleaner catches. I would have an oil sample done and go from there. I had allot of issues with a brand new chipper so much that cat finally gave us a brand new chipper from Bandit.

They already admitted that it happened before, and then they went out and checked the other 1590 on the lot and that didn't have an air filter in it either... They don't lock their yard so someone is probably going in and stealing the filters after hours....

That being the case, I would say a new chipper is in order. All that dust is extremely bad for your valves, pistons, rings, and cylinder walls. Even if the machine runs well for now it may have damage that comes up down the road. I understand you wanting to keep good relations with the dealer and think everything can be done in a very civil way. If it were a car and all you did was drive down a nice road things would be different but we are talking about a chipper that works in clouds of dust. Just my $0.02

SEE IF YOU CAN GET A NEW 1 !!!! i would not trust that motor down the road . if you read your warranty info if you do not clean / change you filter as per their info. u void your warranty so i think that cat would void your warranty if they read this thread !!!!!!!!! make the dealer make it right !

Dealer has another brand new 1590 on the lot with the exact same features... They tell me it is already sold though and have offered to warrenty the motor for as long as I own it and lend me a replacement machine if this one needs to go into the shop for repairs... I told them to put it in writing, and I will think about it... I AM tempted to just ask for my money back and get a Morbark...

When I brought them the check they were talking about how good they treat their customers with warrenty and I think I even heard the story about replacing an entire chipper after it gave so much trouble and eating a lot of the money... Maybe it was yours tree slayer...

I had a funny feeling about that conversation at the time...

what dealer was it, the only local bandit dealer i know of if blade equipment . i would not keep that machine, i would ask for a new one cause its not your fault the filter was stolen on there watch. 15 hours on running with no filter is enough to damage the engine . i have a 05 bandit 1590 and love it

Dealer has another brand new 1590 on the lot with the exact same features... They tell me it is already sold though and have offered to warrenty the motor for as long as I own it and lend me a replacement machine if this one needs to go into the shop for repairs... I told them to put it in writing, and I will think about it... I AM tempted to just ask for my money back and get a Morbark...

When I brought them the check they were talking about how good they treat their customers with warrenty and I think I even heard the story about replacing an entire chipper after it gave so much trouble and eating a lot of the money... Maybe it was yours tree slayer...

I had a funny feeling about that conversation at the time...

Yep that would be mine. Is this the same dealer that no longer sells bandit? I doubt they will give you your money back. At this point ask to talk to the cat. rep and see what he says about how much damage could have been done. If you do go with the life time warranty make them do an oil sample 1st. I think I would really push them for a new chipper. I Pmed my cell# to you if you want to talk more.

Too late for the oil sample... I already brought it in and they changed the oil... I AM supposed to pick it up this morning... I'll run it another couple of days and take it back for another oil change...

Latest posts

Back