New 346 xp ne kicks butt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@JMCG This is TRUE!!! i started off with just the one saw.. a brand new 346xp ne just like you.. loved it, found this site,joined it. pretty soon i was trawling ebay at least once daily for saw related things. Next thing i know that one saw was joined by 3 others. But if i could keep only one of them it would definitely be the 346.

You asked about which mix oil? oils have been covered a lot in this forum i think!! Personally ive been using the XP oil from husqvarna. I dont know how much it costs over there in the US.. and whether or not there are other cheaper oils of similar quality available but i just feel happier putting a proven good oil into whats just about the 3rd or 4th most expensive item ive ever bought!!
regards
Andrew

I do not know if Lucas oil products are available Ireland? But Lucas sem-synthetic 2 stroke oil is pretty much the same as husky XP oil. Its a wee bit cleaner burning then XP. Ive got 2 quarts of Lucas to burn through, then I am switching over to Mobil 2T racing oil that I snatched up for nothing. Finally after I burn up my 2T stash. I plan using Castrol RS-TTS full synthetic oil. From what I understand, it is the global version(Non-US) of Stihl Ultra.

Last edited:
i suppose i never really considered that other oils would exist which would basically be the same product with a different sticker on the bottle which is naive of me really. After all even the husvarna bars and chains are reported to be rebadged oregons.

I checked out the lucas site and they do sell in the UK, turns out my nearest dealer is about 20.5 miles away but im usually working in that area at least once or twice a week so that is no problem.. and yes youre right it IS cheaper than the xp oil! ill try it when my current supply is used up thanks!!
Andrew

Bulletin!

"346xp is kicking but on the mcg property and surpasses all expectations before and since."
I am so glad that this is near fun, as I have much more to do than I had thought.
I took down seventeen more trees this morning and have more to go and that is just one small corner of the property behind the barn.
I'll be at it all summer and then some.
I had a 8" pine about 75' that hung up in the top canopy of an oak. I used the handy dandy golf cart and a long 3" snatch strap to solve the problem.

I can't believe how this saw handles and cuts. It feels so darn light.
Must be that perfect balance with the 18" bar.
:)

It sounds like you're happy with your new saw John, and that's as it should be!
I think you made an excellent choice and I'm glad for you..

I hope you safely create lots of habitat with it! :)

Here's what you need next, John...

MSeries.jpg

with one of these to get rid of the slash...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsdyppXIMY0

:popcorn::chainsaw:

That would be a real handy tool to have, but I'll have to do without it and struggle manually.
I had a portable chipper way back when. I think it got lost during a divorce.
Don't know where it ended up.
It worked pretty good for stuff up to 2" or so.
I sure could use one now.
I was thinking that I may have to look into renting one at some point.

Yee hah! You boys steered me right. Just ran a tank through her and I had a blast. Feels light, nimble and cuts like you read about.
My first real good saw and it just makes the work near fun.
I did buy some Labonville chaps and some new steel toe all leather from Red Wing.
As I've gotten older, I've gotten more careful--especially since loosing an index finger to the first knuckle. Anyway--thanks for all the feedback and such.

Time to read the manual.

If you like it now, wait until you get 10 - 12 tanks thru it. It REALLY opens up.

My partner that has a couple of stihls, including a 026, ran my 346 when I first got it and liked it. He ran it again last week now that it has some time on it (around 20 tanks) and just grins when he uses it. He says it just screams.

(Wonder what he will say after I find a little cash so I can send it to Brad?)

Just on the 4th and screamin'.
How do I mod the muffler?

If you like it now, wait until you get 10 - 12 tanks thru it. It REALLY opens up.

My partner that has a couple of stihls, including a 026, ran my 346 when I first got it and liked it. He ran it again last week now that it has some time on it (around 20 tanks) and just grins when he uses it. He says it just screams.

(Wonder what he will say after I find a little cash so I can send it to Brad?)

Did mine straight out of the box!

Just on the 4th and screamin'.
How do I mod the muffler?

NE 346xp. 2009

11mm hole straight through bracket and into muffler (started with 5mm bit nice and central and increased by 2mm at a time in bid to keep it tidy) stainless steel mesh placed between plate and muffler, job done.

Make sure you take muffler off and plug the exaust port before you start. reassmble, drill, dissasemble and clean out all filings. Reassemble and tune it! I am no expert and have just tried to follow what I have found on this site so any more advice will be much appreciated. I still have to 'tune' my saw so feel free to 'add'. I know a lot has been covered previously, but I find it quite hard to sift through, Maybe I am just crap with the searches.
Good luck with the saw, I love mine!

John, you're making me jealous! Here I sit with my lowly 345 homeowners special but for the second year in a row, I have my four cords of next winters' wood all cut, split and stacked and the saw is retired for another year (unless fall brings a bad hurricane) so I guess I'm safe from lusting after a 346XP for now.
I must admit, with a sharp chain, the 345 is sufficient for my needs.
I feel like a deer hunter who has a jones for a .375 H&H.

Just a bit of trivia. The owner of Lucas Oil is from Crawford CO. IN. I heard he won the oil company in a poker game. Before he struck it rich, he could hardly make his truck payment or child support. I heard that from my tax accountant.
They say he is a nice guy. Gives to charity and takes good care of his extended family.

Well--for a nice turkey sandwich and a cold one, I'll let ya try her out.
Glad ya have next years heating wrapped up.
The more I cut out back, the more I see to do...gonna be a while.

John, you're making me jealous! Here I sit with my lowly 345 homeowners special but for the second year in a row, I have my four cords of next winters' wood all cut, split and stacked and the saw is retired for another year (unless fall brings a bad hurricane) so I guess I'm safe from lusting after a 346XP for now.
I must admit, with a sharp chain, the 345 is sufficient for my needs.
I feel like a deer hunter who has a jones for a .375 H&H.

Well--for a nice turkey sandwich and a cold one, I'll let ya try her out.
Glad ya have next years heating wrapped up.
The more I cut out back, the more I see to do...gonna be a while.
Sounds like a good deal to me. Stay safe!

Back