New 361 First Use...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

resotek

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Morning all... I've been reading this forum for quite some time, but have never really posted. I want to thank everyone here for educating me on all things chainsaw related. I sure have learned a lot from this fine forum!

I came here with a lowly Husqvarna 141LE wimp saw. I have since acquired a MS 250, 260 Pro, and 361. I probably never would have even looked at a STIHL chainsaw, but you all convinced me to give them a try. I'm hooked for life! Thanks a lot guys!

Moving on... I have a 30" white oak down in my back yard that's been sitting for a few months. These logs are really big for my neck of the woods. I tried and failed to budge them with my 36" cant hook. This whole project was very intimidating because I've never cut anything near this large.

Knowing what was at hand, I went out and bought what I thought was the right saw for the job. I wanted a saw that was powerful enough for this job, but small enough to be useful after the fact. I ended up getting a new MS 361 with a 20" bar.

It was cold outside yesterday morning and the right time to take on the beast. The saw fired right up and I went to work. I wanted to take it easy at first so I could get a feel for the saw. That proved to be a good move because I had a couple of low speed "grabs" that taught me a lot. After about two cuts everything started to feel really good and the pace picked up quite a bit. What a fun saw to operate!

The first start was routine. All subsequent starts were one pull. The AV system is smooth as silk. The power output was awesome and she didn't stall the first time. How could anyone not like this saw? I LOVE IT!

I have attached a couple of "glam shots" of my new toy after our first fun morning together. Thanks again folks!

-Mel

i don't need to tell you that you made a good choice.:)
now turn those big ole logs sideways and try ripping/splitting a few. not from the end like you split wood but through the round side. the 361 makes it look easy!!! :chainsaw: thanks for the pics.

Mel,
Looks like a great firewood tree and congratulations on your 361. I got mine in Dec. of 2005 and it has been a fantastic saw. After you get yours broke in I would suggest you do the "lakeside" muffler modification and the saw will be even better than it is now. Have fun and be safe.

Nice !!!!

attachment.php

Last edited:
Morning all... I've been reading this forum for quite some time, but have never really posted. I want to thank everyone here for educating me on all things chainsaw related. I sure have learned a lot from this fine forum!

I came here with a lowly Husqvarna 141LE wimp saw. I have since acquired a MS 250, 260 Pro, and 361. I probably never would have even looked at a STIHL chainsaw, but you all convinced me to give them a try. I'm hooked for life! Thanks a lot guys!

Moving on... I have a 30" white oak down in my back yard that's been sitting for a few months. These logs are really big for my neck of the woods. I tried and failed to budge them with my 36" cant hook. This whole project was very intimidating because I've never cut anything near this large.

Knowing what was at hand, I went out and bought what I thought was the right saw for the job. I wanted a saw that was powerful enough for this job, but small enough to be useful after the fact. I ended up getting a new MS 361 with a 20" bar.

It was cold outside yesterday morning and the right time to take on the beast. The saw fired right up and I went to work. I wanted to take it easy at first so I could get a feel for the saw. That proved to be a good move because I had a couple of low speed "grabs" that taught me a lot. After about two cuts everything started to feel really good and the pace picked up quite a bit. What a fun saw to operate!

The first start was routine. All subsequent starts were one pull. The AV system is smooth as silk. The power output was awesome and she didn't stall the first time. How could anyone not like this saw? I LOVE IT!

I have attached a couple of "glam shots" of my new toy after our first fun morning together. Thanks again folks!

-Mel
Very nice saw, and nice pics!

Gongrats on your new saw! :rockn: :rockn:

Mine is from 2004, and has been a favourite since then. :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on that new 361:clap: Nice job on cutting also. :chainsaw:

Welcome to the club. Keep an eye on your rpms; as the saw loosens up (breaks in) I've seen as much as 1,300 rpm gains. After 10-15 tanks, take it back to your dealer and double check your high rpm (if you don't have a tach). Same deal if you mod your muffler - on such a $$$ and nice saw, why take a chance with lean damage.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!! :blob2:

The advice is good.. but... the WOT rpm gain isn't from a mixture change... just a looser motor. Stihl's WOT spec is +/- 1000 rpm.

Tach at WOT is a crude way of setting mixture.... Set by ear with a 20 inch bar. Long bars will set it overly lean, short - richer. Use the tach to stay safe, the ear to tune.

+100 on the muffler...

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments guys! I really do like running the 361 and as you can see I have more work to do. I was actually shocked at how easy that 20" bar cut thru 30" of solid oak. Heck, it isn't even broke-in yet!

-Mel

hooked!!!!!

HAHA YOU'VE GOT AN ACUTE CASE OF C A D

and there is no known cure . soon the the symptoms grow more severe ,so i guess i'll see you at chainsaws anonymous

congrats....

I wanted to take it easy at first so I could get a feel for the saw. That proved to be a good move because I had a couple of low speed "grabs" that taught me a lot.

Mel, congratulations on the new saw.

Now, regarding those grabs...do not 'part throttle' that saw. Those 'grabs' are kickbacks because your chain isn't moving fast enough. Hit the throttle, wait for the chain to spin up all the way to speed, then hit the wood.

See this post for more info:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=1234951&postcount=7

Be safe out there!

Hi Woodie... Yep, I 100% agree and understand regarding the part throttle grabs. That's what I knew would happen and exactly what I wanted to happen. I wanted to learn how the saw was going to act in a controlled kickback situation. I learned what I needed to know and it's full throttle from here on out. I now have a very good sense of how the saw acts in all situations.

I did think of a bizarre question for you 361 gurus. What are the small threaded holes on either side of the "361" side badge?

-Mel

I did think of a bizarre question for you 361 gurus. What are the small threaded holes on either side of the "361" side badge?

-Mel

Certainly no guru here, more an earthworm, but I do believe the holes are for mounting a winter cover that blocks the lower holes from snow and probably helps keep the operating temps up.

the holes are for the double Dawg kit/rollerfaring kit not for side bags( but it would look cool with bmw boxes, k1200 anyone?) I have it as many do and would never go back to single dawgs again on it

Latest posts

Back