New 372 XP rev limiting coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grapple Man

Grapple Man

ArboristSite Operative
just purchased a new 372 xp, have spent enough time of this site that you guys convinced me that i just had to have one. when i ordered the saw i was very adamant about getting a saw that din't have the rev limiting coil and i was told from the place i ordered that it didn't. but nonetheless when i took her purtyness out of the box there was a blue wire staring me in the face. so from what i have read this means it has the rev limiter. the tag shows it is a 2008 model. does this year have other epa issues that i cannot fix by modding, or things that will hinder the saw being turned up a bit. i have all intentions of doing a little porting work to this saw and a sweet muffler mod of course.

so just curious as to what i should do. is the rev limiter a real problem, will the saw not run as good as a 372 should, and does the 2008 model have any other changes i should know about.

need to decide if i should keep the saw or send it back

thank you in advance. :greenchainsaw:

Longwood

Longwood

ArboristSite Guru
Both rev limited and non rev limited coils can have a blue wire. Its the color of the coil itself thats important, blue is rev limit, black is not rev limited. Here is a pic of a rev limit 372 coil (blue) and a 395 thats not rev limited(black).Notice the non rev limit coil still has a blue wire. I'm pretty sure your 2008 model 372 is rev limited. Baileys has non limited coils for about $43.00.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ed*L

ArboristSite Guru
IIRC, they are all rev limited now. Husky doesn't even offer a replacment coil that is not limited, hence the good market for Baileys coil.

Ed

HolmenTree

HolmenTree

ArboristSite Guru
I have experienced with modded saws what ever you end up with any one model there is so many variables. In the log bring it up to operating temp, watch the knots one knot in the log can throw your timing out greatly. Where its cutting the best then hold it wot for a second unloaded and listen for that slight rough breaktone in the exhaust. Just takes practice.

Urbicide

Urbicide

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Not all rev-limited modules are set for the same RPM limits. 372XP is set for13,500. A module for the 346XP NE is set for 14,100. There are a whole slew of Husqvarna saws which use the same physically sized module.

Husqvarna 334, 335, 336, 338, 339, 340, 345, 346, 350, 351, 353, 357, 359, 362, 365, 371, 372, 385, 390, 570, 575.

Grapple Man

Grapple Man

ArboristSite Operative
hey you guys are great. i really appreciate all the information. for a saw with a muffler mod and possibly some lite port work, i could set in the wood and be ok. is that correct. this is with the rev limiting coil in place. i do have a tach that we set our saws with.

pancake3

pancake3

ArboristSite Lurker
Not all rev-limited modules are set for the same RPM limits. 372XP is set for13,500. A module for the 346XP NE is set for 14,100. There are a whole slew of Husqvarna saws which use the same physically sized module.

Husqvarna 334, 335, 336, 338, 339, 340, 345, 346, 350, 351, 353, 357, 359, 362, 365, 371, 372, 385, 390, 570, 575.

Just bought a 2008 372xp. The coil sez 13300 is that a 13,300 rpm limit?
I know the actual coil of wire itself can't do this.. anyone open one up to see whats inside doing the limiting?
The muffler is hollow. Is this normal? Does a muf-mod that I read on this site help with this empty muff?

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
I know the actual coil of wire itself can't do this.. anyone open one up to see whats inside doing the limiting?
The muffler is hollow. Is this normal? Does a muf-mod that I read on this site help with this empty muff?

Should be 13600, as far as I know, and recommended max is 13500.

pancake3

pancake3

ArboristSite Lurker
Is the 13300 "engraved" on the side of the module verses being printed on it? If so, then Husqvarna lowered the cut off point.

it's engraved. They are on the left side, and the font is larger than the other numbers on the right side of the coil.

Last edited:
Urbicide

Urbicide

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.

The "guts" of the module are inoperable. They are encapsulated on top of that with epoxy. You would probably destroy the module.

A hollow muffler is a good thing. You just need to add a second exhaust opening since the one on the top of the muffler is a bit too restrictive. There has been a number of threads dealing with muffler modding. You can try to do a search and check out the various ways folks have done their mods. Don't forget to clip the carb limiter stop tabs off and richen up the fuel mixture after you have opened the muffler up. Failure to do so will cause the saw to run lean and more than likely burn up the piston and possibly the cylinder too.

Latest posts