New 372XP anything special about adjusting carburetor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timtreefeller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Is there anything special about adjusting a carburetor on a spanking new 372XP? (not an AT).

I bought it on line (in retrospect, maybe not worth it) and it will not start, and does not give any indication that it might start. I am asking because I played with the low throttle needle a bit and it seems like it will only turn out 1 turn or less, and I did not want to force it.

fuel is getting to the cylinder and it has a strong looking spark.

When I call the NJ equipment supplier I bought it from, I was told it needs a carb adjustment. Frankly, the way it behaves I think it is more than that, but I will give it a try - on my own and then if that does not work at a local dealer.

I am not a neophyte, I own 20 chainsaws (all older) and more other small engines than I can count.

if you want to adjust carb you really need to pull the limiters off especially if you do a MM on it,,,, now for starting,,, since it has never been run before you may have to pull it 20 times or more with the choke on to get fuel up to the carb

Cylinder getting plenty of fuel

As I had noted, the cylinder was getting plenty of fuel. After about 30 pulls, I took out the spark plug, and it was wet. Eventually fuel started coming out the decompression valve as well. Spark looked strong and steady.

08F150, don't know what you mean by the "pull off the limiters" or "MM".

Thanks,
Tim

hmm, sounds like it's just really really flooded, maybe the crankcase was full of gas when you first tried to start it. I've read somewhere something like you can take out the plug, hang it upside down or something to get rid of the excess gas in there, me, I pull the plug and pull the starter cord a lot of times, sometimes even getting the lighter out to ignite the vapors coming out of the hole, kinda fun actually.. but should be careful I suppose..

When i first tried starting my new 372 I couldn't get it started with the decomp pressed in. I carefully pulled it back out and it started up after letting it sit for a while after I had flooded it. Since then I havent pressed the decomp. Maybe once it reaches full compression after breaking it I might start using it. Havent had too much trouble pulling it though.

don't push the decomp valve. my jonsered 2166 will not start if you try and use the decomp valve, it just floods. just pull choke, don't pull throttle, rip the cord and when she burps take choke off and don't touch throttle 1 more pull and it will start.

I did

have you tried to restart it now that it has sat and is no longer flooded?

I tried starting it the other night after it sat for a couple hours, and again last night after it sat for a day. I do have the compression relief valve engaged. I will try to pull that out and see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas gents.

Your saw is still flooded. What the other guys said. Take that plug out. Turn it upside down, yank cord a bunch to get as much mix out as possible. Let it sit. Pull decomp back out. New clean fresh correctly gapped correct plug. Or at least check the original plug after drying that thing too, lay it against the opening so it makes contact, with switch on, yank to see if you get a good spark.

It might be it was so new with unbroken in rings and decomp in it just didn't make enough compression to start? That's just a guess though.

Problem resolved

I took the cover off and pulled the compression relief valve up and it started on the second pull.

Thanks much for the advice gents!

After I had it going, my son was doing some Saturday work with a landscaper who bought a 372 in the recent paste, and he had the same issue. Seems like the owners manual should warn you of this issue.

I took the cover off and pulled the compression relief valve up and it started on the second pull.

Thanks much for the advice gents!

After I had it going, my son was doing some Saturday work with a landscaper who bought a 372 in the recent paste, and he had the same issue. Seems like the owners manual should warn you of this issue.

that's cool! Nice to find easy fixes.

Back