New addition to the fleet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally,, it's been a long work in progress but she's finally in the yard.

I hope to put a Mechanical thumb on the hoe to help grab/hold and move logs. It's going to take me awhile to get used to the controls but it should be alot of fun!

imgp6842.jpg

imgp6840.jpg

imgp6838r.jpg

Ya boy howdy! One of the most useful general tools around any farm or big property.

Nice Rig..
Nice House too.. (I would practice further away from the house with all those new levers.. :smile2:)

Looks perfect for around the property. Is it a 580?

Yes it's a 1987 580K, 4x4 with the extend-a-hoe.. This is my 1st backhoe so I'm sure there will be a large learn curve. I still don't what all the controls are inside since it's old and the labels have all worn off.. hehe..

We have one and it is greats, go online for operator manual. Our biggest problem is the front bucket dump hyd hoses take a beating the way they are routed so we keep spares.

Every man needs a tractor or two or three or four.......

I want a thumb for my backhoe too. would be a big help. I learned to run a backhoe the same way you are. The guy that I got it from simply said "just wiggle the knobs till you're done"

I'm sure that will come in handy. I could find never ending use for it. Looks to be in good shape, Most would have bald tires on the rear. You'll do just fine with the controls. Take your time, don't push it and let the machine do the work.

nice looking machine . the only way to learn is putting in some seat time . practice makes perfect and I mean a lot of practice . as mentioned above move far away from any thing that you do not want crushed of dented . good luck andhave fun.

We have one and it is greats, go online for operator manual. Our biggest problem is the front bucket dump hyd hoses take a beating the way they are routed so we keep spares.

Doug, Dunno if you have already thought of it or not, but make friends with some of the guys at the local firehouse.
When they dump old 2" hoses, snag one, cut it to length and use it over the Hydro line, Zip ties hold them in place. The darn things wear like iron, and add some time to the hydro line life span.

Got the same dadgum issue on a Tractor Loader. I hate Hot Hydro baths.:bang:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Finally,, it's been a long work in progress but she's finally in the yard.

I hope to put a Mechanical thumb on the hoe to help grab/hold and move logs. It's going to take me awhile to get used to the controls but it should be alot of fun!

imgp6842.jpg

imgp6840.jpg

imgp6838r.jpg

Call me Jealous!!!
I sure could use that thing right now. 99 problems, and 95 of 'em could be solved with a Loader back hoe. LOL!!

As the others have said. Get it somewhere ya can't hit anything, put the stabilizers down on level ground, and hit every button and switch while tinkering to figure it out. After a bit, controls will become second nature and less deliberate to operate, and it just takes time and some practice jerking the cab around. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast...you'll get there.:msp_thumbsup:

One thing to do right off the bat IMO...swap out every dadgum fuel, oil, and hydro filter on the thing. All of 'em.
Then grease every zerk you can find, and then go back and look for more. Use a flashlight, and make like a proctologist on the thing.
Most folks get a bit lazy on swapping filters and hitting the harder to reach Zerks and push the limits, and on older equipment, there is more gunk floating around in the veins.

Look for water in the Hydro tank as well. PITA, but better to deal with now than after things go to freezing.

Have fun, and try not to rub it in too bad when ya do!!LOL!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Nice machine! I spent alot of time on the exact same year 580, that 4 stick takes some gettin used but it will be a handy unit with a thumb on it! :msp_thumbup:

The trick to running backhoe is to have more than one cylinder in action at any one time. If you only use one cylinder, they get jumpy. When you first are learning, you will have that thing jumping all over the place. It will get better fast though.

I ran a four valve backhoe all the time 20 years ago, and it would be just like riding a bike. I could jump on that machine today, and it would be smooth as silk. You get a feel for it.

Now, put me on a different machine where the valves work different actions, and I would look silly, worse than a beginner! Old brain is still trained for the original setup. I know, as I have done it, and boy did I work up a sweat trying to work that different machine! Haha!

Bob

Thanks guys.. I'm pretty excited I think the hardest part will be waiting until winter to really start playing.. I plan on using it front loader to clear snow when it falls off my barn and for clearing out where the horse go but I won't get to do any digging until the ground thaws come spring.

I've looked and I can't even find an free operators manual online.. Does anyone have any experience with the service/repair manuals offered online. I've read that some are pretty bad and leave out alot of simple drawings and detail. I've seen some hard copies on ebay for $250-300 but I don't think I want to lay down that much cash just yet.

Latest posts

Back