New baffle plate installed, now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT100

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The baffle plate on my little Jotul stove developed quiet a dip in it after five years of very steady use. I put 5-6 cords thru it each season so after 25 or 30 cords I don't have any complaints. The old plate had a crack forming on the front edge so I thought it was cheap insurance to replace it. With all that said, when the stove was new I had to season it with a couple very small short fires, first newspaper and a little kindling, then working up to a regular fire. Since I have this band new chunk of cast iron in the firebox now, should I go thru the seasoning steps with it like I did when it was new? I'd love to hear some thoughts.

I'd say no seasoning required. To my knowledge the only reason to season the stove is to cure the stove paint or burn off imputiries left on it form maufacturing before it goes in the house. If the baffel is internal then I wouldnt worry about it personally. Any material is prone to failure after X number of heat cycles. At some point they all fail, just like bearings, they are only good for X number of revolutions and then thats it. The only way to help it last longer is to reduce the number of hot/cold cycles by keeping it hot (or cold). If you have to light a fire in it twice a day then the best thing you could do for it is let it heat up slowly. A hot fast fire will create more internal stress in the material as it trys to expand at a faster rate.

Back