New bar oil jug.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJuday

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I had a wild thought a few weeks ago and yesterday I decided to give it a test run. I saved an old laundry detergent bottle and cleaned it out to use as a bar oil jug. The main reason was because of the removable plastic spout and the fact that it has a vent/drain hole in it. The spout can be turned in any direction and I found that 90 deg from the handle works great. No more oil spills on the saw, no chugging when using from a new jug and when the plastic spout is out for refill it has about a 3''+ opening in the top, which made refill a snap. The wife may look at you kinda funny when she notices you taking an interest in her laundry bottles! Thought I'd share that, it has helped me. JJuday

Also Try a Fabric Softener Bottle

I recently tried a fabric softener bottle for the same thing. It's a little smaller and ten times better than an ordinary gallon jug of bar oil. Beautiful pouring spout.

For years I used a pancake syrup bottle, but I like the fabric softener bottle much better because it is easier to fill. An ordinary 1 qt oil bottle is also a good second choice, but you generally have to use a funnel to refill it.

I use an old large squeeze dish soap bottle. I can control how hard I squeeze and how fast the oil comes out depending on my squeeze. Havent made a mess yet.

Jeff

I use the liter (or quart) gear lube squeeze bottle, the one you buy with 80-90 Wt rear end lube in it. The tapered nozzle makes a great squeeze jet, and I just unscrew it to refill from the gallon bar oil jug.

I use an old large squeeze dish soap bottle. I can control how hard I squeeze and how fast the oil comes out depending on my squeeze. Havent made a mess yet.

Jeff

:agree2:

Jeff

I like that one better yet. That'll be my next one. Like the top that pops back down so it won't spill if it falls over. And I notice the bio oil I'm using now (veggie based) is a bit thinner than the standard bar oils I'd been using before, so the dish soap bottle squeezer shouldn't get clogged. :cheers:

Good idea JJuday...since I retired I've been helping the little lady doing indoor chores like laundry. I noticed the elegance and efficiency of those drip proof liquid detergent containers and never thought of using an empty one for oil....DOH!

Thanks again for the heads up...no matter how hard I try it's almost impossible to not spill bar oil.

Good idea JJuday...since I retired I've been helping the little lady doing indoor chores like laundry. I noticed the elegance and efficiency of those drip proof liquid detergent containers and never thought of using an empty one for oil....DOH!

Thanks again for the heads up...no matter how hard I try it's almost impossible to not spill bar oil.

I had thought about doing this a year ago or better, but must have had a more improtant thought and forgot about it all together till now.

When I run out of the regular bar oil I think I'll try some canola or soy oil. JJuday

I had thought about doing this a year ago or better, but must have had a more improtant thought and forgot about it all together till now.

When I run out of the regular bar oil I think I'll try some canola or soy oil. JJuday

There have been other threads on this but bear in mind that some of these veggie oils do wierd things when left alone for long periods (like gum up due to bacterial growth).

Latest posts

Back