New cable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jrcat

I put a new cable on my gearmatic winch yesterday and that thing is a pain in the rear. Its 5/8 swedge cable and everytime I pull it out or release the brake it unravels on the drum and makes a tangled mess. Is there any tricks to keep it from doing this or do I just have to deal with it? Is there any kind of "break in" procedure for new cable? Thanks for any input.

Machinery's handbook says to spool your cable onto the reel the same way it comes off the spool (think casset tape). Barring that ( and who wants to respool a winch anyway) find yerself a big ugly heavy bastard of a log or three and spool all yer line out and winch it in hard, its a vain attempt to form the line around the drum, could work? that and adjust your brake slip so it doesn't free spool at will...

Just wait until it turns in to a corkscrew, you'll pull it out 50', let go of it and it'll go back to the skidder on its own. I ran cable 30 yrs, most of the time running two skidders, i wouldn't run swagged cable, tried it one time, gave it away.

Just wait until it turns in to a corkscrew, you'll pull it out 50', let go of it and it'll go back to the skidder on its own. I ran cable 30 yrs, most of the time running two skidders, i wouldn't run swagged cable, tried it one time, gave it away.

swaged no good? always thought it'd be smoother. never had any. did try crane cable once, it got like a porcupine after a while but didn't break.

That swaged cable is ok at best it has already started to fray by the ferrule at the end. I have also already puckered it up in one spot.

Latest posts

Back